1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should draft PG, sign big man.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketFan85, May 8, 2005.

1. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I think the Rockets need another scorer who can shoot lights outs if need be. Like Jason Terry did for the Mavs in the Playoffs. I think the Rockets will be making a mistake if the Draft a PF with thier 1st round pick. Hakim Warrick is too small to play PF. I think he will have a solid carreer, just don't think the Rockets need him. Wayne Simien is going to be a bust, plus he is undersized and injury prone.

The player I think the Rockets should draft is Salim Stoudamire. He's a tweener, but the Rockets don't need a Jason Kidd with the passing T-Mac brings to the table. Plus Salim Stoudamire has a jumper. He will keep defenses honest with his ablity to hit the open jumper. He's jumper will free up more open looks for Yao and T-Mac.

The Rockets don't need a project at PF. They need someone who has played downlow before to take pressure off Yao. What FA will their be this year?

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is what I've been thinking lately as well. A PG would be ideal since the need is there and along with the draft's depth at the position, this is THE position for our scouts to focus on. The PF's in our range either aren't as talened and/or their outlooks aren't as bright as the PG's we have a shot at. I'm beginning to believe this draft could be alot like the 2001 draft that was top-heavy with big men and stocked with overlooked guards taken late (Tinsley, Parker, Arenas).

As for WHO to draft, Stoudamire was a good college player but I really don't know how good of a pro he could be. He very well could be a good pro but I think you are getting a little carried away with the Arizona connection between him & Jason Terry. He's not the next JT but he definitely deserves consideration.

Depending upon which mock draft you look at, they have Rashad McCants all over the place. He's a guy if slips we have to pull the trigger on. Same goes for Jarrett Jack, just too talented to pass up on. John Gilchrist of Maryland is another guy getting overlooked. There's also the possibility of some HS talent falling to our position---I would have no problem with developing a project player.

Let's get one of these guys get a PF somewhere else.

3. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

The Rockets need to draft the best available athlete available at 24, because he's not going to start.

I do think that starting SG and backup PF (athletic, defensive, rebounding) is the primary concern. Not necessarily in that order.

I'm wondering if we could package a deal with DW.

4. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Same here.
    At backup PF, I'd like to have Turiaf. He seems to be what we need(athleticism, rebounding, toughness...).
    Who I could see as a sleeper in this draft is Orien Greene.
    His profile

ALA

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No high schoolers please. We don't wanna wait 4 or 5 years for one to develop and there ain't no Lebrons in this draft. We have to get immediate contributions with this pick through the pick itself or through trade. Turiaf and Jack are 2 that are the most NBA ready and should be available.

6. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I think some really good swingmen will still be available by the time we pick. I'm skeptical about the big men that will be left for all the reasons the first poster mentioned.

I mentioned this in NIKEStrad's thread, but I'd love to snag Francisco Garcia or Kennedy Winston if they're still on the board. Two three-year college guys, tourney experience, lots of "upside." They bring different things to the table, though (Garcia = shooting, Winston=athelticism), so it depends on which one the Rockets brass feel is our greater need.

7. Luis Alvarez

Luis Alvarez Member

id like francisco garcia not only can he score but he can defend as well and he is like 6-7 i still think we should take the beast available player

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Will his number be 616?

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Well, 666 is already taken......

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I'd love to get francisco garcia the guy can do everything and was the court leader for the louisville team. we need to get more athletic on the perimeter and garcia provides that. not only can he shoot the 20 ft consistently but he can put the ball on the floor and attack the rim. he has disproportionate long arms which makes him a good natural defender whose skills could develop tremendously under jvg.

another guy mulling declaring is hassan adams, he is a bit raw offensively still but the guy is a flat out athlete. if he declares and the rockets are able to pick him up in the early second round that would go a long way in helping out our future.

11. TIburon

TIburon Member

I think Houston will take the best available player that will HELP the Rockets immeidately...

Turiaf would definitely help inside(give Yao that big man inside AT THE SAME TIME-ala Cato but Turiaf can score)...

I think Houston will also notice who is a free agent that they can bring in at the 2/3 spot(like you guys are mentioning) an athletic guy that can create matchup problems OR a big man that can help Yao inside...

If they feel they can get a PF that can help in free agency then they go for best player available...

IF they find a wing in free agency then they go big...

Just a matter of whats out there...

12. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I think F. Garcia could be a lot like Tayshaun Prince...

13. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I also say best player available, I'm just hoping that player is a PF or PG. Also I'd love McCants to come to H-town(Tarheel!), but not if a good 1 or 4 is available.

14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Reading about him, I actually think Garcia sounds like a Mike Miller-type. Won't blow you away with his athleticism, but is just a smart ballplayer. I wouldn't be sorry if we picked him up with the 24, if he's still there.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

Garcia would be a good pick up. Another sleeper I was wondering about is Michael Harris from Rice. He is a bit undersized but he's got a non stop motor and is a ferocious dunker. I'd put him on the Rockets summer league team. Just my thoughts.

16. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I'd like to see the Rockets draft Jarrett Jack if he is still there at 24. I think he will be in the league a long time. Maybe draft Jack and sign Swift?

PG-Jack
    SG-Sura
    SF-T-Mac
    PF-Swift
    C-Yao

Could be better, but that is clearly a better team then the Rockets had this year.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Jack but PG is a tough position to play. If we pick him I won't mind it but I would rather get Garcia as a backup SF/SG.
    Honestly I fear that May or Frye will fall because they lack athletic ability and one of them will be a Rocket.

18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I hope i don't see May in a rockets uniform. The guy reminds me WAYYY too much of Mo Taylor.

19. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Except Taylor couldn't rebound to save his life.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I didn't see anything impressive with May's rebounding ability to be honest with you. he didn't seem to crash the boards or fight down low really.

He looks to me like more of a offensive player and most of his rebounds came by default.