1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Avery Johnson News Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RAYRAY, May 5, 2005.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#101 JBIIRockets, May 6, 2005
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG] ?

3. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Deleted.

#103 Chilly_Pete, May 6, 2005
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  4. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

It was 9 out of 28. 28 individually selected plays that he, Marc Cuban, thought were moving screens. Yet less than 33% were... which is pathetic if you ask me. I can send in 28 instances of McGrady travelling when he is handling the ball, but some things just don't have to be called by the refs.

5. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

MFFL - stick around. I actually think it's nice to have fans of opposing teams around (like Nuggets4) as long as they're civil and add to the discussion. I hope you do that.

Don't mind the idiots who have to cuss at you to make a point.

Anyway, I think RM95 put it best when describing the situation - point out a wrong call, not a wrong player.

I also think Cuban, when he's not the "enemy owner" in a playoff series, is awesome. What he is doing is *exactly* what we all want to do - point out the problems in officiating to make the game more fair. His "analysis" of refs - pretty shallow statistically, I'm sure, but at the same time worthy of consideration. The only negative is how he does it through the media... but gee, aren't we part of the same fan base that complains Les isn't vocal enough and that CD needs to send (more?) tapes to the league offices?

6. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thanks for the link, I didn't know these were available online.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Good point. I'd be willing to bet that at least (likely more) 33% of Yao's offensive fouls either are bad calls or are only in response to him being fouled without getting the call.

In today's NBA, I wouldn't be surprised if over 33% of ALL calls could be reviewed and called differently. The game is just too fast with too many stupid refereeing technicalities (i.e. - charge circle).

9. GocartMozart

GocartMozart Contributing Member

1. Ditto to RIET's most recent post.
    2. You're comparing failure to call a moving screen (which is called even less often in the NBA than palming -- at least until the post-game complaints by Cuban), with a referee who claimed he saw that Finley was in bounds when neither of his feet was even with 18 inches of the line?
    3. Don't EVEN bring up a normal, run-of-the-mill moving pick to the fans of the team who were victimized by the mother of all moving picks -- Karl Malone's bear-hug/offensive holding maneuver!!!

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

To add to that, the missed out-of-bounds play was then followed up with foul a resulting in 2 Mav free throws. A double whammy.

I'd have to agree, the two events are hardly comparable.

Moving picks = judgement call.
    Out of bounds = no judgement call...either your in or out.

I'd have to agree that comparing these two is apples/oranges.

Moving picks are hard to call and they happen all the time.
    Houston lost to Utah in game 7 on a moving pick (was it in 96?)
    That same year, didn't Jordan beat Utah off a moving pick, right? There is probably many examples.

But out-of-bounds is cut and dry. There is no room for interpretation. Stars don't get the benefit of the doubt on out-of-bounds plays. It just IS. The ref flat out blew that play...no bones about it.

But what's done is done. That's sports. Hopefully the team plays well enough so it isn't close enough for the refs to screw up.

11. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

This is the key right here. There are so many calls that aren't made or made incorrectly(blocking/charging outside the lane) due to judgement/perspective that if showed from different angles would be reversed. Pick only certain plays from a couple games, and your percentage would be even higher....

Its like offensive holding in football, you can call it on every play.

There were alot of hand checks that werent called(and then one strangely called on Howard for his 6th foul) in yesterday's game. If cuban or Van Gundy select a tape of only those instances the NBA will likely say a few of them should have been called.

12. TechLabor

TechLabor Contributing Member

Does Avery still live in Sugar Land. If yes, no wonder he is fed up with the Houston media, maybe his kids too.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuban is an embarrassing sideshow. HIs act was tired a loooong time ago.

Except that's not what he is doing. He's only trying to improve his teams chances at winning.

Cuban giving a ref a win or a loss based on the outcome of a game they officiated is just plain stupid.

No, we are not. I assume CD does his job. I don't need him coming on TV telling me whether he sent some tapes in or not. Cuban is a sideshow, he should step aside and let his basketball people do their job. He doesn't need to help coach at practice, go on the court to cheerlead, review game tapes, stand in the huddle during timeouts, run on the court to break up fights or berate officals. If he can't restrain himself sitting that close to the court, he needs to go sit up in the cheap seats with the other rowdy fans.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Funny as hell..... :D

15. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

What is this with "Deleted"?

I have seen this in quite a few posts

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

Good news to hear.

17. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

All the mavs fans have to whine about is the moving screens. Karl Malone on Clyde in '97, now THAT was a callable moving screen.

It's the playoffs. Duncan does it, Amare does it, Pau does it, Alan Henderson does it, everybody does it. It's only the Mavs whining about it because they know they can't stop our pick and roll. Karl Malone won MVP's because of moving screens. I'd say the Mavs fans had a legitimate gripe only if they got called for more moving screens than us, which obviously has not been the case. I think they've gotten called for one all series long.

18. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I deleted my post but it won't let you leave the post blank.

Any Mavs fan that believes that Avery Johnson is above whining about officiating must have forgotten about his remarks after game one where he claimed the Refs "swallowed their whistles".

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Avery couldn't make a squirrel look stupid. That monkey showcased his limited cerebral capacity for all the world to see in this Game 6 postgame interview. After his outburst, the reporters in that room were all reaching into their pockets ready to give your incoherent curious george coach some spare change to put in his tin can so that master Cuban can go buy him some bananas. And speaking of Cuban, he's looking to have even more play-doh in his head than your coach after giving him that ridiculous 4 year con-tract.

And as far as little b****es go, the only b**** I see game after game is this p***y Nitwitzki who can't create a decent shot to save his life much less look anything remotely like a legit star. On the contrary, p***y Dirk's pet go-to move is driving into the defensive player with arms flailing and man-boobs jiggling, hoping to get yet another trip to the freethrow line. Too bad that Frankenstein-looking b**** can't even score after the game, unless he digs his UGLY-ASS teammates. And I mean UGLY :eek:

20. corbe

corbe Contributing Member

Thanks for the Laugh pippendagimp.