1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wagon Switching or Truly Repentant: One sports writer admits he's wrong.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wnes, Apr 28, 2005.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

One sports writer admits he's wrong - Is it true repentance or merely wagon switching

Jack McCallum
    Inside the NBA
    Losing battle
    Mavericks ill-equipped for versatile, tough Rockets

I spent my first playoff weekend in Dallas, watching the Mavericks go down 0-2, along with one of my playoff predictions. I'm not sure why I picked Dallas over the Houston Rockets, but it had something to do with my assumption that Dallas's improvement on defense was more profound than Houston's improvement on offense.

I was wrong.
    more ...

#1 wnes, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  2. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

You know if the Mavs win a game this guy's next column will be "I was right in the first place. Mavs will beat the Rockets." :rolleyes:

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What else should he say?? You can only write about what happens, correct?

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

well, the guy's current column basically says he was wrong

5. Sishir Chang

This guy isn't a reporter. He's a columnist. Considering how ill treated the Rox have been by a lot of the sports media I'm a little leery of talking / writing heads jumping on the Rox bandwagon.

The first game we lose (hopefully not) in this year's playoffs I bet you'll see a bunch of them dumping on the Rox and talking about how we got lucky to win the games we did.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It's funny to read these. The best was hearing Kevin Blackistone (writer for the Dallas Morning News who said after game 1 the Mavs would in 5 games) say the Mavs are done and that he apologized to all the Rockets fans for ever doubting their team on Around the Horn on Tuesday.

Even better was hearing Jay Marriotti, who picked the Rockets to win the series, say, "Dirk Sucks"

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I never understood what's wrong with jumping on the bandwagon. We just went up2-0 on the road. I certainly don't expect people to start thinking the Mavs are the championship contenders here.

Especially in cases with columnists who aren't local...they're not Rocket fans, we can't expect them all to have been on the bandwagon already. I've been on the bandwagon my whole life, and I wouldn't have been shocked if we lost both in Dallas.

8. droxford

droxford Member

Wow!

Of course, the writer here admits he was wrong, and that's nice to hear, but I really enjoyed reading his thorough explanation of WHY he was wrong. His analysis is very accurate and detailed, and it reveals what we already knew: that the Mavs look better on paper, but in actual game play, Houston's a better team.

great article.

-- droxford

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

The Rockets are exposing more Bozos than Maury Povich.

10. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Kids, can you say bullsh!t?

11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

He still writes in this article "I don't consider the Rockets a super team", so he's trying to have it both ways.

12. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Which part? It is quite possible Nowitizki will make the All-NBA 1st team as the writer wrote. It is also probable that McGrady will "at best" make the 2nd team and possibly the 3rd.

14. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

Did anyone else catch this moron saying Tmac, at best, is a second-teamer, or third?? Thats stupid, the way tmac has performed this season, despite the first 20 games, has been a first-teamer.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah i disagree with that quote completely. i would have to say at the best would be a first teamer, and worst a second teamer. because if that was the case you would have to pick 8 fowards and guards in the league better then him and thats impossible.

16. Sishir Chang

What's really bad is I've seen a few picks for all NBA teams and none of them have Yao for center. The ones I've seen has Shaq on first team, Amare second and Dampier on third:mad:

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Seriously, that's despicable. Dampier hasn't shown me anything to convince me he'd back Yao up as well as Dikembe.

18. fasthand2000

fasthand2000 Contributing Member

I hope he won't say he is wrong again. :D

19. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Funny thing about T-Mac, every bad thing that was said about him had a grain of legitamacy. This year he goes un-Kobe-like, changes his game, elevates his game and he gets to be considered not the 2nd best guard/forward in the league.

I'm not sure he's not the best player in the NBA. :confused:

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy obviously has watched little to no Rockets basketball here in the last half of the season (which isn't really surprising). The bit where he talks about how Sura, Wesley, Barry and Mutombo are coming alive in the postseason. These guys have been doing it all year. It could be argued that Mutombo is as much an MVP of this team as McGrady considering Yao's foul trouble all season. But it is definitely fun to read all these writers admitting they were likely wrong.