1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard could be back for Western Conference Finals

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RAYRAY, Apr 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I know I already responded but I just feel like countering your counter-facts. :)

So throw that last game out. We killed them once. They killed us once. And one game went to overtime. Does that make us HUGE underdogs?

Okay. So set Yao aside for now. They have Dirk and we have TMac. Call that even. Does that make us HUGE underdogs?. Now, Yao will have a chance to adjust as each game progresses. Do you think he'll average 15-8 for the series? We'll see. Does that make us HUGE underdogs?.

Yea, but since our trades we've played dead even. Does that make us HUGE underdogs?

True. If Yao plays better than he has against them, I'll take Houston in 6. If Yao continues his average play, I'll call it a draw at 7 games. But I'll still pick Houston cause I'm a homer. :)

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

He shot 11 of 19 in the last 2 games against Dallas.

I'd take 58%.

3. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I'm sure you're a perfectly reasonable person in real life, so what was the point of repeating what I said...in bold...80 times in your post? Are you trying to get a rise out of me or something? I've said many times before, only an idiot will read something someone posted on the internet and get upset. It never ceases to amaze me: the power of the internet to turn normal people into assholes.

I'm sorry but which of the two is more indicative of the type of team we're playing: seeding or record? I'm fully aware that regular season records are misleading when it comes to playoff success, but seedings are even more so. Is Seattle a better team than Dallas because they're seeded higher? Is Boston a better team than Dallas because they're seeded higher? Keep in mind that Dallas has the 4th best record in the league this year. Moreover, they lie only 1 game behind both San Antonio and Miami, two teams that we all agree are title contenders.

I could continue to argue these little points with you, but I have a thesis to write. Arguing with someone on a BBS really isn't on my to-do list at the moment.

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'm not upset. I've used smiley faces several times. But thanks for suggesting that I'm an idiot. Look, you made a VERY strong statement calling Houston huge underdogs but you provided very little support to back that up. If you want to come to a Rocket fan site and call Dallas the clear favorite, you better be ready to back that $hit up. Thats all. My co-worker is rooting for the Mavs and I'm giving him hell about. :) So it isn't just an Internet thing.

So what. Since February 1st, Houston has 10 losses and Dallas has 10 losses. So yes, Dallas has a better overall record but their recent play has been dead even. Even their current winning streak (7 vs 9) is comperable. And since that span (from Feb 1st), Houston beat Dallas twice (one of which we are throwing out). The two losses came in December when Houston wasn't playing well...and even one of those went to overtime.

So yes, Dallas's record is impressive but that ain't the whole story. If you take a little closer look, it isn't so clear cut!

Ok.

5. Kyrodis

Um...just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting you were an idiot. I was suggesting that you were trying to get me upset, and that I would only get upset if I were an idiot (which I'm not...hopefully).

Back to work for me...Peace. ;)

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

kosfayah,

I didn't say the Rockets are "HUGE" underdogs, and I DO give them a chance of pulling this series out. I think we are a mentally tougher team, but I also think we are more inconsistent in certain aspects of the game than the Mavs are. I think they are more talented, have more depth, and their two best players (Dirk and Finley) are both playoff tested, and have more playoff experience than our two guys (Yao and McGrady).

Now, defensively we have had the edge, so that is IMO how we would win this series.

Also take into account that for some odd reason, Finely seems to always bury us with his 3-point shooting, he just seems to go off against us. I think Wesley will have his hands full. I think the key will be holding Finely in check, and not letting Dirk get over 30 points/game in the series. If our role players match the production of their role players, the Rockets will be in terrific shape to win the series.

Now, I said the Rockets are "clearly" an underdog in this series (I am yet to hear a good argument as to why that might not be true), and I personally think the Rockets play better with that in the back of their minds. I say the Rockets are not "huge" underdogs, but I would say that they have about 40% chance of pulling out this series.

I predict Mavs in 6 or 7, so it won't be a blowout by the Mavs by any means, but a well-contested, entertaining series in which the home court advantage/talent advantage will likely end up prevailing

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

hmmm ... I think he DID call him an idiot ... in fact, I think he called him an ***hole.

lol

geez ...

Avery Johnson is calling Dallas the underdogs, because so many pundits are stating that Houston will "upset" Dallas or they are "picking Houston to win the series in 6 or 7." We may be an underdog, since Dallas has a better record, seeding and depth of talent, but I know few who would call us HUGE underdogs, and that is what <b>krosfyah</b> is legitimately debating, and providing very logical points, although assertively. So far, the inflamatory language has come from <b>Kryodis</b>. So, Kryodis, fess up, and move on. It's a good debate.

But, on point, everyone is saying this is one of the two best matchups of the first round, and it IS. It'll be exciting to watch, and will show us how far the Rockets have or haven't come. They keep surprizing me. If they can beat Dallas, they'll deserve to be in the Western Conference finals. Dallas is a great team, but the Rockets are starting to become one too. Both teams are coming into the playoffs with great momentum. But, we match up with Dallas fairly well, and this is the biggest reason we brought Van Gundy ... he's quite the stategist.

The biggest concern I have about the Rockets is just how old they are ... how long can they stay in the zone?

The thing that excites me most though, is wondering how much farther TMac and Yao can go. Will they step it up? TMac could just take over, even going all the way, and that could be classic. We could watch them both grow up right in front of our eyes. San Antonio already watched him snatch a game away they thought was already won. Will he do it again? And if we go to the finals against Miami, what a classic matchup that would be, and would Yao then become a monster. These are things I wonder and hope for. If we went to the finals against Detroit, it would become one mastermind with TEAM, going against another.

One can dream, but our reality now is Dallas. And, although I expect it to be a hard fought series, and wish we were viewed more as underdogs, I think we can pull this one out, especially if the team that buzz-sawwed Denver shows up.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Never underestimate the heart of a champion!!!

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I COULD have to pee, but it is anybody's guess - except mine.

What does Howard say?

10. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I have to agree with you man, the mavericks are poised to make a run at the championship. This is their 5th 50 win season in a row. If the Rockets upset the Mavs, Cuban would be very disappointed after claiming this is the best Mav team ever.

11. Kyrodis

Confess to what...calling him an idiot? I most certainly did not call him an idiot. I DID imply that he would be an "internet ***hole" if he were trying to get a rise out of me though. That's something I apologize for...

As for the "huge underdog" statement I made. Perhaps it wasn't the best choice of words, but I stand by my claim that we're bigger underdogs than most people on the board realize. From what I'm reading it seems as though a lot of people are convinced we can take the Mavs out in 5 games. Granted, it's all homerism and it can't be helped :)

I believe the Rockets have the ability to win series, but it will take a lot of things falling in the right place:
    - Yao stepping it up big time
    - Tracy continuing his hot shooting
    - Role players not going cold all at the same time (like they did in mid-march).

Based on the way both teams are currently playing, my objective prediction is that the Mavs will beat us in 6 or 7 (same call as tigermission's). That said, I pray that Yao realizes that he can have his way with the entire Mavs frontcourt and gives us a series where he grows into the dominance of which we've only seen tidbits. IF that were to happen, we'll take the series easily...but it's a pretty huge if.

12. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

(keeping in mind this whole thread is speculative)

Another body to throw at Duncan would be nice. Might be pretty effective against SA's bench.

To take it further, he would be very valuable against Miami.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Kryodis, I agree with much of what you say on your last post, although I haven't read anyone saying we'll beat them in 5, so I'm not feeling that same reaction.

There's no doubt that Dallas is far more consistently excellent and healthy, and we are just rising to where they are, gelling from so many personell changes and losing Howard. That's the unknown in this series. You don't know which team will show up. The Rockets DO seem to play the better teams better, so that gives hope. But, you are very correct. This series is up in the air, and it all depends on whether Tracy and Yao step it up, and whether the role players stay on their shooting spree. Dallas has so much more depth of talent and consistency, but our fewer talented players can take us farther. You are right. Its all about "will they rise to the occaision night in and night out and fulfill their destiny?" This is when you find out if someone has the heart of a champion.

I worry about "old legs," but we also have a bunch of guys who realize this might be their last chance at a championship, and that might be enough to cause them to do what it takes.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

three pages and no link??

source anyone??

15. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

It was reported on Fox Sports last night.

16. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

When will the playoff roster be determined? I assume once it is determined, it cannot be changed later.

I suspect the guy on Fox sports forgot or didn't know Juwan had virus infection so he only looked at his rehab.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

By definition, if JHo is back for the WCFinals then his absense was overrated, as Scot 'The Body' et al came through in the Clutch (City).

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

... and apparently all of the people betting in Vegas too, since it's one of the tighest lines in the playoffs.

Guees you should go put some money on the Mavs.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Hey Sherlock, you are right on...

AJ *wants* to be the underdog for not so obvious reasons.

There are some NBA analysts that have a gut feeling that Dallas, for all their nice offense, will struggle in a 7 game series vs a very good defensive team like Houston. So, although, Dallas will have early success against us, they will start to struggle later in the series. And because of this, they could very well lose the series. Patience is key. And that's something that JVG knows about during the grueling play-offs.

AJ knows that merely having a 58 win record is not a sure thing for victory. He's starting to realize that the regular season record means nothing. And in order to prevent his players from being overconfident OR complacent...he's trying to put a make his players believe they are underdogs based on what some media people are saying (give's it legitimacy).

Well, guess what? We're not buying it (That Dallas is an underdog). The Rockets know that Dallas has better depth. And we know that Dirk will have a huge advantage at the PF spot. And we know that they will be very difficult to beat (Dirk's play-off experience will help him even over someone like Amare).

And you're right. We aren't big underdogs either. We're close to them in over-all talent.
    They have better depth. We have TMac/Yao. Lets rumble!

#59 DavidS, Apr 21, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  20. fasthand2000

fasthand2000 Contributing Member

Why Rockets are clear underdog, the regular series are 2-2.
    :confused: