1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officiating v. Memphis was a Joke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rday, Apr 14, 2005.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

I hate biatch moaning. Calls tend to even things out. But the griz was the whine baby and aggressive kids last night. Yao might've escaped a couple fouls, but everybody does. How about that Cardinal moving screen lead JP to a 3 pts. I think Griz got more favoraible calls in the end and still lost. You have to look at your rotation. In a non-griz fan's eye, just clueless. Sub Pau out when he was streaking, sub Miller out when he was streaking. Bozi is your best slasher and not much PT. I dont get it.

2. RealMadridFan

RealMadridFan Member

I don't think refs screwed the Grizzlies,I think they overall did a ok job.I just think that missed call was the worst of the night,because the game moment and because he was a blatant foul.Of course I understand for you Rockets fans there were some others worse calls.
    You are right,they missed calls on both teams,but that happens every game.Sometimes they missed much more calls on one team,but I don't think yesterday was the case.
    I am not surprised yo don't understand our rotation,most of Grizz fans don't do it.

3. RealMadridFan

RealMadridFan Member

It was really dirty.
    How he had the nerves to block Jon Barry 3point shot attemp?
    He should have not blocked it,it was a beatiful shot.
    NBA should give 1 game suspenssion to every player who blocks a 3point or dunk attempt.That things kill the show fans want to watch.
    Gasol hit Yao's hand with his face.That was a punk move.
    Refs should have called a flagrant foul on Pau.You can't touch Yao's arm or hand with your face.That's dirty.

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I might get flamed for this and eventhough I don't care for the Grizz, I actually hope you guys make it to the playoffs. I don't think that the T-Wolves can hang at all with the Suns, but I do think that Memphis has a pretty good chance at taking the Suns to an 6-7 game series. It would definitely be a fun series to watch.

5. Toast

Toast Member

The only thing worse than the make-up call is the even-things-out call.

At the half Team A has gone to the charity stripe 30 times because they're aggressively attacking the basket.

Team B through the first half has only shot 10 free throws, mostly because they're settling for outside jumpers.

By the end of the game, most likely there's only about a 5-7 shot free throw discrepancy.

You could see it happening in the 3rd quarter last night. They called 3 concecutive fouls on the Grizzlies because we were attacking hard and they were slow to react. Next thing you know, whistles blowing all over the place every time Memphis has the ball OUT ON THE PERIMETER. Transition defense, half court defense, didn't matter. If Sura or Wesley or even TMac breathed on a guy funny they'd whistle it.

It's like the make-up call extended the entire 48 minutes of the game.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

they mad eup for it by calling that stupid foul at the end so we could all get our Big Mac on !

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Mr. Real Madrid-

There appeared to be contact by Yao on Gasol -a call was warranted. I have no problem with that- it di not appear flagrant- but it did appear Gasol flopped. No big deal.

Gasol flopped...

Now for Gasol foul on Barry- I want the officials to call the game fairly. I am not so concerned that they did not call any foul, but Barry could have been hurt. A fight could have started resulting in a suspension. The crowd got very loud at this point. I did not see A clean block by Gasol. I did see Barry knocked to the floor.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

So I guess we have to create a new category for Spanish fans who follow the Grizz just because they like Gasol. I propose Gasol Only Fan (GOF);)

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pau-babies.

or actually Gassholes is the best.

10. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

The Pau call could go either way. After playing it at a few angles it could clearly be seen he got hit, but a hit doesn't necesarily a foul make. The point being is that Yao had inside position & that Pau came from the back & side, fairly wildly & jumped into that position. It's pretty hard to then say Yao doesn't have the right to move his arms within the immediate area in which it was positioned. If you were to keep playing it at different angles, much like at the the 3rd angle I could see the actual contact with Pau, you could probably have found one where Pau could have easily been called on the back. Hard call to make.

The Barry play should have been called a foul. You can't come to block a shot so hard that after the block you bowl the offensive player over. Wether the shot is off or not, Barry had a right to that position.

As far as being sick of the charge thing goes I've had a solution & wish other people would start supporting the idea. Despite all the people making soccer jokes we could learn a little something from the game, namely the handing out of red cards for flops. I'd love to see flops get a technical foul against the flopper for "unsportsmanlike conduct" or at the very least it should be a "delay of game" which, when you think about it, it surely is. It would allow for a better flowing game with less flops & would quit rewarding bad defense. You could still flop, but it would become a much more dangerous option.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Rea;Madrid

that is absurd that you play off thr Barry foul like that.

Pau blocked the shot...fine..I got no problem with that..
    but it was totally unnecessary for him to follow thru on that arm swing and knock BArry on the skull afterwards.

Youcan play if off all you want to...but it happened...I know...I have seen that play at least 10 times from a couple of different angles while editing together my compilation video..it is clear as the whiny cryin look Pau gets on his face when things dont go his way.

12. haven

haven Member

I've been saying for years that a flop should be a technical for unsportsman-like conduct.

13. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Ironically, that is exactly what happened. Yao didn't even see Pau coming and was simply reaching for the ball. Pau was out of control and coming from behind and the side. Should have been a no-call, especially in such a close game. The worst part was that it was called after we had secured the rebound for once.

14. rday

rday Contributing Member

Gasol deserves everything he gets. He's an idiot, he literally jumped into the play he got hurt on. If Pau is stupid enough to throw his face into someones hand/fist, thats not a foul (unless you want to call it on Gasol), it's just stupidity.

You could call it hard fought basketball if you forgot about the blatant slap in the face, the throwing of Bowen to the floor, or the soccer-acting. I'm sure it hurt when he foolishly ran his face into Yao's elbow, but you would have thought Pau was about to die with all the rolling and screaming.

If last night was officiated fairly Memphis would have run out of people to guard T-Mac by the third quarter; every single guy guarding him tripped him as he would move around the double team. I know I'm not alone when I say that I'm sick of holding my breath waiting for some hustling scrub to seriously hurt McGrady. Unfortunatley Memphis is a team of hustling scrubs. It's pathetic that Memphis has to rely on playing like that to stay in games.

I'm glad someone brought up the Jon Barry play, I forgot about that. Pau is so classy, he follows up a great block with what he designed to be a DDT, but instead turned into an arm across Barry's face. That might be cool in the Spanish Premier league, but thats not OK in the NBA.

I think Pau wants to be Hollywood Hogan; not Hulk, I'm talking about the bad version of Hogan, the NWO version. Sweet.

Side note: contrary to what some of you think, this IS the place to complain and this IS the place for Rockets conversation. Shut up with the "lock this thread," or "maybe you should compile some tapes and send them to the league." Don't be gay.

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I thought that was a foul, too. Until I saw the replay. After Pau got the block, Barry swung his arms to the side to make contact with Pau, and then got spun around. It looked like it was basically a flop to get a call.

16. RealMadridFan

RealMadridFan Member

Ding dong.

17. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

A Real Madrid fan on this board????

GO BARCELONA....STILL 6 POINTS AHEAD!!!! :D

18. RealMadridFan

RealMadridFan Member

It's getting smaller.
    Keep the champagne in the fridge :p

19. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Pau Gasol has some character issues. He is in the last year of a 4 yr rookie contract. At 24 yrs old he could be a Grizzlie for a long time. I hope the Collective bargaining agreement will still allow a 7 year deal for the max. Hopefully Memephis re - signs him to the max and keeps him 7 years. With the soft-crybaby - P*ssy- wildly inconsistent play of Gasol we will have nothing to worry about from this team for a long time.

Please Mr. West - sign Gasol long term...

With the skin head mentality of Jason Williams-this team of dirty players will go nowhere.

Don't know anything about soccer-I do not care about sport, but guys at work tell me that Real Madrid is not that good

20. RealMadridFan

RealMadridFan Member

He has done it.
    West signed Gasol a max contract this Octuber.
    I trust more in Jerry West basketball eye clinic than in yours.I wonder why...