1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 3/28/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 27, 2005.

1. choujie

choujie Member

Although it's good for the team right now, it's not good for Yao in a short term and Yao shouldn't be blamed like he's getting right now. Yao doesn't have much stamina, playing this way makes him look even worse and he's worn down a little bit. Shaq and CWebb both refused to guard out to 3 point line. SVG let Shaq to whatever he wants since he's Shaq, Webber is having problem with his coach and he is struggling. Yao doesn't complain, he sacrificed for the team, but he gets blamed everytime after a Rockets loss or he's not particularly effective. That's just not fair.

My point is, you may not be able to see Yao at full strength under JVG's system. Yao certainly needs to improve, and JVG may also needs to twist his system a little bit next year to maximize Yao's ability, in turn maximize Rocket's ability.

2. never

never Member

well, plz give that big guy a break. even if hes not playing well but at least we have made it to "PLAYOFF" with that so called great role player for "2 YEARS" :D

3. choujie

choujie Member

If you look at the stats per minute, Yao is not "stinkin it up these past few weeks." It's just Deke fits JVG's system better and played extremely well for the team so he took Yao's minutes away. In the past few games, Yao didn't even have time to get into a good rythm. He was not as effective as Deke, but not stink.

4. ritou

ritou Contributing Member

JVG limited the time for Yao on purpose. Yao's minutes will go up in the playoffs.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Stinkin it up may be a bit harsh on my part...he is gettin alright numbers considering his minutes. But stats don't tell it all. Not one game in the past week have I seen him clearly establish himself and assert any kind of dominance. He's been productive yes, but his contributions have gone relatively quiet and haven't had too much of an impact on the outcome of the game.

And Deke has been paying awesome lately not because he fits better into JVG's system, but because he has brought more fire and more instensity when he's on the court. He's played harder, Yao hasn't. That has nothing to do w/ the system.

Take a look at Barry (minus the Cavs game), Sura, James and Wesley...they haven't exactly been lighting it up lately or playing w/ a lot of insensity. And I wouldn't blame the system on their struggles any more than I would on Yao's. For all these players, they are struggling and need to work through it individually. All JVG can really do is b**ch in their faces until they get a clue.

In any case, despite the poor shooting and somewhat dissapointing effort displayed by the team as of late...you gotta like how they've been scrapping out the wins. They're clearly not running on all 4 cylinders right now, but they're still finding ways to victory lane.

6. choujie

choujie Member

I believe it's more to do with Deke being more effective defensively and rebounding wise.

7. choujie

choujie Member

Come on, from the games I watched, Yao is always playing as hard as he can, but his physical limitation doesn't allow him play like Hakeem or Garnett. He's slow and easily tired. JVG's defensive system compounded the problem. He's required to defend back and forth like a guard, set picks for everybody, rebound, block shots , fight against 2-3 guys for position and score. For a 7'6 310lb guy, he just doesn't have that much energy yet.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

9. hangxy

hangxy Member

Maybe he'll become tired of doing what he's doing right now. JVG has never ever know how to develope a player. SVG is a better coach than JVG in that perspective.

10. hangxy

hangxy Member

You just forget about the history of Magic. Maybe only when Yao's gone, people like you would start to appreciate what Yao has done for the team.

11. hangxy

hangxy Member

Dont't ask him to chase those guards!

12. doyouever

doyouever Contributing Member

D. Mutombo 19 2 3 5 0 5 1 1 0 1
    Y. Ming C 29 0 4 4 0 3 0 4 3 15

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rebounding is all about desire,effort and positioning. Yao needs to make adjustments in light of T-Mac's increase in driving to the hoop along with his shooting. Yao should step up on defense when he is having a secondary role on offense and then switch over to the attack mode when T-Mac needs help. Yao musn't think of himself as a role player under any cost.
    Not having Kirilenko hurt the Jazz especially on defense but I'm glad we took advantage. It was a must win game.

14. JunkyardDwg

So basically...he's required to do what every other center/forward in the league is supposed to do: set picks, rebound, block shots, fight for position in the post, score points. That's not anything out of the ordinary. He prob helps out more on defense than other centers, but all in all, he's doing what any other player at his position is expected to do. And yes his stamina is a factor. But I just don't buy that. He could impose his will at any point in the game, but rarely does so. Deke on the other hand, comes in gets a few rebounds, a couple of nice blocks and mixes in a few finger wags to boot...in short, he brings more intensity on the floor, is more aggressive. And that is a reflection of the player not the system. In any case, my whole point is who really cares how much Yao contributes as long as the team wins. I'd like to see him step up his game as much as the next person, but a win's a win. That's all that matters.

15. JunkyardDwg

SVG doesn't have a 7'6" center from China to develop. Geez people...cut some slack on this whole freakin issue... seems like after every game this turns into a discussion about Yao.

16. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Guys, please realize this. JVG doesn't want to piss Yao off so Yao would ask for a trade or leave as a FA. If he does, it's JVG's ass on the line, not Yao's.

17. choujie

choujie Member

Actually no other 7 footer does all these things as much as Yao. Deke doesn't need to score, Duncan and Garnett go out defend to 3 point line when there is a center cover for them,Shaq doesn't come out that far and doesn't set nearly as many screens. Those guys all have much better stamina and mobility, but they don't do as much as Yao on those help defense and screen setting so they can have more energy on offense. Do you really think Yao doesn't want to impose his will? I believe Yao does, but he just can't do it consistently because of his stamina.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and you somehow keep overlooking the fact that HE HAD ZERO HELP ON THAT TEAM.

he had a bunch of crappy players to help him advance in the playoffs...

but yet...

you and posters of your ilk like to throw out that "Houston Magic" B.S. as a argument that this team would never do any good unless they totally depend on Yao.

Check the supporting cast....Tmac in ORL had crap..Tmac in Houston at least has some good players to help him.

Big difference.

and...btw..Stoke is totally correct...this happens game after game after game....win or lose...this thread is ALWAYS the "let's b**** about how Yao is being used " thread...

there are other as[pects of the game other than Yao this and Yao that....touch on your gripe and move on....no need to keep repeating it page after page after page.

Little wonder very few posters will even check this thread anymore.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

20. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

WTH? I can't believe it when I open this thread of a good (if not great) road win game. Though Yao player very good in the first half, this game is one of TMac's show. I enjoy his play when I watched the game, which is just so smooth, and don't forget the fabulous 2nd quarter. This is the best half of TMac I've ever seen so far (even better than his 62-pt game back in Magic).

Yes, As a YF (or YOF ;) as you wish), of course I am not satisfied with Sura, who should be responsible for 2 of Yao's 4 TOs. But I don't care about it right now, because the Glory belongs to TMac tonight. Good night :)