1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Billy Miller put up great numbers in the first year with the Texans, but he's not a real tight end. Coming out of college he was a WR, who the Broncos convinced to bulk up.

His WR skills make him capable of putting up good reception numbers when given a chance, he lacks the natural physical traits, as well as the experience and skill to be a full time tight end.

Not his fault, just the way it is.

There's a reason that they drafted Bennie Joppru in the second round (even though it hasn't worked out) and then made signing Mark Bruner one of their first offseason deals last year.

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

here is apicture from last night at my friends big birthday downtown at the M Bar.

dunta and tony hollings... and some bug eyed scary girl

[​IMG]

3. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Im a steeler fan at heart but i honestly dont see that much in this team. Offensively i dont really like David Carr he is an alright QB who will never become great and hopefully can achive something between decent and good. The running back situation is a mess. DD is a extremly talented player who fumbles the ball way too much and is hurt too often. Tony Hollings is just like a poor mans DD. The Texans need to find another wide receiver to side with AJ who is the only player i think will be an NFL star on the Texans O. Jabar Gaffney is a good 3rd string WR thats all he will be. I cannot speak much on the D for the texans as i change the channel when their not on O. I can say though that DR already is a star and was a great pick in the draft last year. Too many question marks on O this year. Hopefully they will pan out but if not i would not be suprised to see the Texans QB at the end of the season.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How exactly is the RB situation a mess? Domanick Davis fumbled 4 times last season, all in the first 2 games. Hollings is young and has only played RB for a few years. You are simply wrong on this front.

David Carr is only 3 years in and is only getting better. It's kind of hard to put up big numbers from your back. The OL is the problem, not Carr.

You are right about 2 things. AJ is a stud and will be a Pro Bowler for many years. Gaffney probably isn't better than a 3rd WR. They do need someone to help take more pressure off of AJ.

I personally don't consider anyone a football fan when they only watch offense. Do you watch basketball for the dunks and baseball for the homeruns?

5. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Depends who im watching. I watch both sides for my teams the rockets and the steelers but id rather watch an athletic team putting up numbers than two teams go at it on D. I take the point on DD with fumbles but it is still a flaw just not as big as i thought. He is still injury prone.

6. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Texans | Brown Cut - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:54:46 -0800

Carlton Thompson, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have released S Eric Brown

thats two guys cut today and pace is in town.. possibly clearing some cap space

7. Shotcaller

Shotcaller Member

getting pumped up this off season... too bad we couldnt land Pace, was nice to see us make the effort to get him though... I think the texans really need to show something this year, or something big needs to be done over next seasons off season....

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Pace would have been huge, but that would have been tough to land regardless...Let's see what the draft will leave us as we need something to give Carr time...

9. Summer Song Giver

I'm calling it, Alex Barron or a Wideout at #13

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Trade down.....please.

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Anyone have ESPN Insider? They have a section today on NFL section about the OL in the draft:

"Strength In Numbers
    This year's draft lacks a franchise-type offensive lineman, but there's plenty of quality depth, according to Scouts Inc. Among the top prospects are Alex Barron, Jammal Brown (pictured) and Khalif Barnes."

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It might be Barron because alot of mock drafts have Williamson,Williams, and Edwards gone by 13.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why not up?

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Either the Texans should trade up into the top 9 or 10 or trade down into the 20's (and pick up 2nd and 4th rounder in the process).

I dont see any way that they stay put and take Barron.

If they stay put, they will take Williamson, unless someone slips that they arent anticipating (for example, Merriman). But, my theory is that if you are going to take Williamson, then you may as well trade down and take Mark Clayton. That way, you still get a solid #2 receiver while picking up a couple important picks.

I think I can live with any scenario that doesnt include Barron.

15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i would only trade up for rolle, pac-man, or derrick johnson (maybe trade up with the titans since the titans need some picks badly to rebuild themselves). if we do trade down (like say with baltmore at around 23 since they need another stud wr like williamson to complement mason, heap, j. lewis and boller), we can pick up mark clayton, which he will be excellent complement to aj with his surprising good speed at the combine (he was doubted to have speed), superb agility, and can get out into the open field while getting a 2nd round pick in the process as compensation as well.

i would get in this order if we trade down:

clayton
    carlos rogers (crossing fingers)
    shaun cody

and 2nd round
    elton brown (1st of the 2 2nd rounder if trade with baltmore)
    C.J. Mosley

and 3rd round
    get antoino perkins (hopefully)
    and take a flyer on Ben Wilkerson to replace McKinney

16. rezdawg

Thats my scenario. Here is a video of Clayton for anyone interested...

http://www.nmnathletics.com/video2/VGOLHTFXJBTOVBX.20031107162659.wmv?ATCLID=11506&SPSID=2470&SPID=190&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=300

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, a team with a horrible offensive line should avoid using its mid first round pick on taking the top OL in the draft at all costs. It would be suicide to put him out there, he might cause the QB to get sacked alot, unlike assorted journeyman and "sleeper" draft picks.

18. rezdawg

This is one of the worst years for an OT. Just because Barron is the best among the group does not mean that he is a "cant miss" prospect. Its like being the smartest kid on the short bus (Compliments to Vinny from HoustonProFootball).

Look at Robert Gallery...the Raiders used their high pick on him. He was a monster coming out and was projected to be one of the best left tackles. Where is he now? Oh, playing right tackle.

You use your 1st pick on someone you know will pan out, not on someone you hope will pan out. The draft is too important in football, you cant go Vegas style with your first pick.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There are no sure things in the draft. Every pick is Vegas style.

20. rezdawg

Okay, granted. However, I would put my money on the Yanks to win it all instead of putting my money on the Devil Rays.

Barron = Devil Rays