1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James a good fit for this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charvo

Charvo Member

Mike James should get at a minimum 30 minutes per game. There's no reason why Mike shouldn't be in there at the ends of games too.

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I get your logic, since Mike James is a career 41% shooter, even his shot is falling and on a hot streak, he should stop shooting and pass the ball to the ineffective center while he only made 2 of 9 for the night. Great strategy!

I wish you are the Rox' coach. Really, under your coaching, Yao surely could average 20pts per game, but perhaps his rebounding number will still be under 10 because it won't count if his teammates grab boards for him. And I am sure Rox will have lottery pick every year.

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Thank you.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

No and no.

From all indications, it is clear that James gets "his" in the flow of the game. The team chemistry will only get better as they bond with more games under their belt together.

James is more than a good fit - he is a great fit for this team.

Bring on the world.

5. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Why bother? When Yao scored the highest points but team lost (many times this years already), I didn't see you were bothered too much. Just admit you are a YOF and what really bothers you is that Yao took less shots and scored less points than MJ in three straight games. I believe it will make ppl less upset because at least you speak honestly.

6. choujie

choujie Member

People have short memories. There were many nights earlier this season when Yao started 1/5 or1/7 but end up with 8/15,8/16 or something like that. Yao had a streak of 13 games shooting 50% or better untill tonight and he shots like 63% in Feburary. If that doesn't give him the rights to keep having the ball when a few shots are missing, I don't know what will.

On average, Yao will keep shooting high percentage as long as he gets the ball. That has been proven in his 3 year NBA career.

Please don't bring the rebounding issue, Yao is not a great rebounder, we all know that, but that has nothing to do with his shooting.

7. grothendieck

grothendieck Member

S, what is Yao's role in this team? Should your point guard pass the ball to T-Mac if T-Mac didn't shoot well? It would be interesting to see if the point guard will pass the ball to yao while he shoots well in the coming games.

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

ooo ooo, can I also jump on the racism train and bash the guy with the chinese sounding screenname because he might have a point (although not a strong one) in defending yao?

"You're a YOF, you YOF!"

Yay, now I feel big!

9. choujie

choujie Member

Wrong, when Yao had a big night but the team lost, I was never happy about that. But one thing I also notieced is when Yao has a big night, that usually means everybody else's shots are off. They had no way to go but Yao.

YOF or not, nobody here want's to see Yao's team losing. I understand this is a team game. Yao will never be considered great if his team is not winning big. Getting Yao more shots is good for Rockets in a long run. I'm not just look at a few recent games, if that makes me a YOF, I'm proud to be one of them.

10. grothendieck

grothendieck Member

I mean So, not S,

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

He kind of reminds me of Mario Elie in the sense that he is not flashy guard but effective, good defender, blue collar type player, & knows his role.

I just hope the outcome will be the same.

12. Texas Stoke

nyquil, Thats the point. He doesnt have a point. He thinks a guy shooting 54% from the field as a Rocket should shoot less because he is a career 42% percent shooter. He thinks Mike James should know his place and stop playing so well. Only a dumbass YOF would come up with something so damn stupid.

13. choujie

choujie Member

That's short sighted. You really think a career 41% shooter can suddenly become a permanent 54% shooter? What makes you think Yao can't get his rhythm and confidence back if he gets enough chances? Also I think JVG put James on the bench after he rushed several shots, so JVG is a YOF also?

14. choujie

choujie Member

Only a dunbass poster would just see the most recent games and missing the big picture.

15. Texas Stoke

Nope. That was because James picked up his fifth foul.

Or to start the fourth to give him a short rest.

do I think James can become a permanent 54% shooter? No. But I'm smart enough to know about a little thing called the flow of a game and how a good player knows when to shoot and when not to shoot relative to how well he is shooting the ball during a particular time. And right now Mike James knows he is shooting the ball well, and he's taking the wide open shots and making them.

16. Texas Stoke

Oh, the future. The future when Mike James comes back to reality and shoots 42%? damn you Mike James for playing so well and shooting 54% now when you know you're just going to shoot 42% in the future and we all know this is going to stall Yao Mings development.
    :rolleyes:

17. choujie

choujie Member

OK, so let's wait and see what's gonna happen when his shots are not falling. From some shots I've seen he's taking, I suspect it's a habit.

18. choujie

choujie Member

It's not the future, it's called history.

19. Texas Stoke

earth to dumbass. come in - dumbass. this is the present. what mike james is doing is in the present. he is shooting 54% now. its not a dream. its actually happening.

glory be to Mike James.

20. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

choujie, I think he means that since Mike James has the hot hand lately he should look for his shot often, yes his career avg of %41 isn't that great but he's not shooting normal as of now. No one expects James to shoot this good for a long stretch, he might come back to his career avg in the next game, but for now, he should look for his shot when availible since he has the hot hand.

Mike James is now going through what Sura went through. But all this "Mike doesn't pass to Yao" stuff is all very simple.

the PG in our offense isn't going to be the one giving Yao the ball the majoirity of the time. Unless his name is Steve Nash or Jason Kidd. Which it's not, it's Mike James.. Who? Mike James.

I honestly wish to see Yao average 16+ shots a game personally. I'm sure JVG would like that as well. The offense is ran to produce wide open shots, whoever gets in that position of being wide open in their range has to shoot it. Mike James has the quickness to blow around screens and he takes shots that are fairly open if not wide open. Yao doesn't have this benefit of running around screens or crossin' over Larry Hughes for the fadeaway jumper. Yao relies mostly on his teamates to find him for that split second he is open, not only open for him but open for an easy pass since Yao has trouble with a few difficult passes.

Mike James is following the coaches offensive philosphy perfectly. If you are open and in range, shoot it. If you are not open, find someone who is and continue setting picks or using motion to get open again. That is the philosphy for every player equally, other than T-mac who can and needs to shoot frequently. If Yao was a better catcher of more difficult passes, and had more foot speed or was just more demanding of the ball (more than just raising a hand), [carmelo anthony] I garuntee Yao would get more FGA [/carmelo anthony]

Sorry if this post is confusing for anyone, I enjoyed writing it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.