1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Wizards 3/2/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 2, 2005.

1. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

you are right...thats the problem now is that people are comparing yao's effectiveness with the role players on the team..HE IS NOT A ROLE PLAYER. do you ever see tim duncans statistics compared to rasho or bruce bowen? im not comparing yao and td but its sad when you say its okay the way yao played since howard and wesley didnt carry the team or did this and that wrong

2. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Franchise big men usually get more than 9 shots a game though...

I just don't think he is getting utilized the right way...

3. choujie

choujie Member

Do you ever see Tim Duncan stop getting the ball after a couple misses? Do you ever see Duncan took less than 10 shots in a game? Yao is used like a role player right now. I will compare him to the great guys until he is used like a franchise player.

Just to remind you, when Tmac was out the game, Yao averaged like 25 points on very good shooting percentage. Alghough we lost 2 of those games, the line up was totally different, we didn't have any shooters on the team, or we would have beat Lakers with Kobe easily.

4. choujie

choujie Member

I'm not saying Yao should be the 1st option right now, because I believe Tmac is still a better player. But for the same reason, I believe it's not fair to say Yao was the only reason after each Rockets loss.

5. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

well we lost again not good for the Rockets but if they can ever get back on track and i think it is in the frontcourt right now with yao and juwon needing to be wayyyyy more aggressive and get back to what they can be. But on a positive note Mike James is amazing and if anyone disagrees you tell me what he has done wrong. I thought the moment we got him he would be a huge addition and he has surpassed my expectations avg. just over 20 ppg and i think he will continue on that pace if he gets his minutes boy im excited about mike james and the one positive note i can take after losing 3 of 4.

6. bigbodymoe

well i see stats are what matters to you and not wins...so since stats matter so much. when yao missed a game tmac scored 42, and we WON. its not statistics tim duncan passes up so many shots, he takes a smaller role so many times to allow ginobili and the other guys gain confidence. tim duncan is a franchise player. tim duncan is the LEADER of his team...all things that yao is not at this stage in his career

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

No, T-Mac is not the franchise player, BOTH are the franchise, period. But if it comes down to it, you can bet your life T-Mac would be the one shipped. Not because of performance, but because of the money-making potential of Yao. I don't care if Yao has as many shots as Howard and Wesley, Yao is the FREAKIN' Franchise player, even more so than T-Mac, and everyone knows that, including T-Mac I am sure. Do you think if Shaq was the one who was 25 years old that he would be traded and not Kobe? It was only the age factor in that decision.

Nevertheless, there was a guy that was just posting how Yao never attempts the most shots, and what a rediculous concept that is! Did Shaq ever shoot more than Kobe? Centers ARE supposed to shoot higher percentage, so they shoot less. How many shots Shaq takes to get his 23 points a night?

Guards do take more shots than big men, that is just a fact.

8. Charvo

Charvo Member

Rockets need to borrow Brad Miller for a couple of seasons. Let the Kings have Yao for a couple of seasons. I think this loaner program would be good for the Rockets.

9. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

Yao's problem is 90% his own making

1) 1 or 2 too many unnecessaary fouls by trying too hard, learn to let it go

2) 4 or 5 too many picks which do nothing for the team or him

3) He is naively putting the team and teamates above himself, which is only true when talking about it

4) He plays too many games and therefore can't get out of that world, watch and lean from your teammates, especially Howard

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Exactly my point!

the irony is that Yao is supposed to be the one playing the same role in this team as Duncan is in the Spurs. However, clearly there is no comparison between the two players whatsoever.

And did not T-Mac "defer too much to Yao" at the beginning of the year? What was the result at the time again? Oh yah, the Rockets were terrible.

Just face it, Yao does not want the pressure of being THE man, and wants to just tag along and be loved:rolleyes:

Boy, sometimes when people talk about Yao's feelings and how he needs to be cuddled I wonder if his parents ever thought of enlisting him in the Red army for a few months. China cannot be happy with the "softie" image of Yao overseas:rolleyes:

#370 tigermission1, Mar 2, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  11. henrock

henrock Member

This whole thing after losses is really getting old. Everytime there is a loss it's because YAO didn't do this or didn't do that. Never is a loss because someone didn't do something right. If YAO doesn't shoot well, that is the reason, if he doesn't rebound that becomes a reason. For anyone to ever be satisfied he'd have to play a perfect game or else the bashers will point out the one or 2 things he didn't do well and place that as the reason for the loss. Win as a team, lose as a team.

People spend all week talking about how YAO isn't great and he's not a star, etc, etc. Then they go ahead and bash him for what he doesn't do right. If you don't expect him to do well, why go ahead and say he's not doing this and that when you don't expect it in the first place? So what he shot poorly today, over the last few games he's shot roughly 75%.

Make a list of bashers and and in a year or two let's see what they have to say, just like all those "analysts" who said YAO was gonna be a bust when he was drafted.

12. choujie

choujie Member

1st , I agree Tmac is a better player.

2nd, when Tmac was out the game and Yao had 32 points on 22 shots, the rest of the team (Ward,JJ,Lue etc) combined made 16 of 57 shots for a total 28%, and we lost to Lakers with Kobe by only 5 points, you think it's Yao's fault?

13. bigbodymoe

there you go with stats again...superstars single handedly carry their teams to victories...atleast they are on the court and making an impact for their teams during money time...yao had a bigger impact in helping the wizards today than helping his own team

14. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

All this talk about who's the franchise player should just stop. Like someone said earlier, Yao is a money-tree and there's no way Rockets will ship money away. Plus if Yao can just stop getting into foul trouble, he's as effective as any big man in the league. Have faith, he'll get over this soon. If anything, he's probably more frustrated than anyone else out there. H A V E F A I T H !

15. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

Think about Garnett...

16. bigbodymoe

you make good points...but i have a question. is it still considered win as a team lose as a team when hes on the bench cheering with foul trouble?

17. choujie

choujie Member

Yao could be the franchise player off the court, but he's not used like that on the court, and we are talking about on court performance here.

There were more than half plays run for Shaq even thought Shaq may not take the most shots. But for Yao? many times you'll see Yao doesn't touche the ball in 7 or 8 minutes. So tell me any other franchise player gets treated like that?

Again, anytime you compare Yao with Shaq you will be disappointed, that's what those sports guys do.

18. jclee

jclee Member

yeah, here we go again, rockets lose and blame it on yao! yao didn't do this, yao didn't do that.......hey, was that francis at point, twenty two shots? my bad, that was our new pg, james! what da hell is tmac doing, shooting 3's? everyone is b****ing about yao, again, let me say this, IF HE TAKES TWENTY SHOT, HE WILL GIVE YOU F-ING TWENTY OR THIRTY POINTS. but we don't need him cause we have francis, i mean, james at the point!

19. choujie

choujie Member

So KG is not superstar? Kobe without Shaq is not superstar? Tmac in Orlando is not superstar? How about AI last year?

You still don't get the idea that this is a team game, do you?

20. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

newmemo:

#4 I do not understand at all.

#3 Yao's basic psychological makeup which he needs to decide to change - much like the joke how many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? just one, but the light bulb has to want to change.

#1 & 2 all tied in with the Mike James points: this team is still gelling, learning to play together, so what do we do? we trade and get one more new guy. This team should know a lot more about each other and how to play as a team by the playoffs.

I expect MJ's assists to gradually go up and his own shots to decrease some as he adapts to the team.

but of course, to re-examine an old joke, this is obviously Sura's fault for having scar tissue problems. :D