1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you throw away the first-round pick for Payton?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Toast

Toast Member

Payton + their 2nd rounder in return? If so, tempting ...

2. Jardinero

Jardinero Member

Gimme a break here folks. What good is a first round pick to us anyway?

Now admittedly, we haven't had a bevy of picks in recent years, but when was the last time the Rockets effectively used a draft pick between 10 and 30? Still stumped? Kenny Thomas was 22nd in 1999. Does he count? Well, he's the best we got, unless you want to count Richard Jefferson at 13, but I have a hard time remembering his years in Rocket Red.

In short, we haven't used a draft pick between 10 and 30 well since 1992, when we took Cassell at 24. Gimme Payton and save me the trouble of watching some ill-conceived pick come back to haunt us.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I'm completely on board with the James idea, in fact I brought up his name a few pages back. I would be willing to go as high as the TE plus a future 1st for James and a 2nd if necessary. He shoots the ball well, and plays solid defense. Outside of James, I'd try the TE/pick for Jaric and either the TE for Alston or a deal where the Rockets get both marshall and rafer. Lastly, I'd see if the TE could get us Payton. But James is my top choice personally, and I could see him being available reasonably.

The whole reason I want to keep this years pick is this appears to be a pretty deep point guard/power forward draft, which happen to be the two positions the rockets need longterm help at the most.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

Why are the Rockets paying long-term contracts to guys with back problems?

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

At this point I'd rather have the pick than Payton.

Payton isn't taking us to the title, his game has eroded, doesn't have many years left, and would probably walk away at the end of the season.

I don't mind trading the pick away in a good deal, but Payton isn't it. And the idea of handing over a free 1st rounder to Ainge is revolting.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I wouldn't do it for an older, out of his prime player...A second rounder plus MoT, then i'd do it...

7. solidrocketfan

solidrocketfan Contributing Member

I'd rather trade the 1st round pick for a quality point guard. Rockets mgmt does not have a very good track record for 1st round picks other than Hakeem and Yao who were #1 picks. Just look at the draft where we had three 1st round picks and managed to pass over Rashard Lewis. Then look at the three first round picks we traded to get Eddie Griffin. Need I say anything more?

8. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

We shouldn't give up a first rounder for Payton. He's a FA this summer, and if we want him, throw him the MLE at that time. A first rounder for 35 games (regular + playoffs season) is simply too costly.

However, if we can give up two first rounders for JKidd... Do it now!

9. Charvo

Charvo Member

I think I would rather have a healthy TMac and Sura in the playoffs in the 8th seed rather than try to force team chemistry with Gary Payton. If this means giving TMac and Sura time off at the expense of losing games, so be it.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with this guys TE plus 05 1st rounder is too much for Payton. Maybe, maybe if we get Boston's 05 2nd in return. But does Boston really want to trade him, they are 1/2 game in 1st place and he is there starting 1 and 2nd highest minute eater to Pearce.

Seems to me Portland, Milwalkee, Toronto or Detriot are much more plausible trading partners. I certainly give up our #1 for James (1st choice) or Arroyo (2nd choice) or Alston (3rd) plus the TE. I'd even throw a future 2nd too for James, maybe Arroyo.

From Portland, I much prefer Stoud or NVE if there is a way to make a deal with MoT+, even at the cost of our 1st rounder. I'd even like the resign either for a couple of years at a reasonable price because they are both would be explosive bench guys. I didn't want to do MoT for DA before, but now that is looking OK--but no picks should be exchanged.

Could look at the cost for Speedy, Fisher (must take back either Mo or Spoon), McInnis (not for our 05 1st though), .

This Sura back thing has really given a lot of teams like Portland the upper hand, but we don't want to panic. There are lots of servicable PGs out there that should not take much more than the TE. Only a few do I consider the 05 1st rounder--James/Arroyo/Alston/possibly Speedy with the TE or Stoud/NVE in some kind of package.

11. solidrocketfan

solidrocketfan Contributing Member

Payton will assure the Rockets a playoff spot. His veteran leadership will be an asset during the playoffs.

12. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I say bring him in..

I would trade Mot or a first round pick for GP..

We need a PG .. backup or starting material.

When Sura goes down no one can run the show.

Strick?AB? come on..

we need someone that can run the show and keep us in our offense while not being a liability on the defensive or offensive ends.

GP fits that bill for us.

J

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

How many teams have been successful trading away their draft picks every single season for proven talent?

There are a lot teams in the NBA that have had a string of bad draft choices. Not just the Rockets. What I want to know is why don't all of these teams trade away their draft picks every season? If that really is the solution.

Van Gundy is a veterans coach so we should trade away our draft picks every season. Does that mean that every team in the NBA with a veterans coach should trade away their draft picks every season?

The Rockets have had a lot of draft blunders. Does that mean every team in the NBA that have made past draft mistakes should trade away their draft picks every season.

14. Charvo

Charvo Member

That amazing chemistry the Rockets had with Sura, Wesley, Barry, TMac, and Yao will not happen with Payton. I'm willing to wait out the storm to see if Sura can come back and have the team regain the chemistry before the playoffs. It's fortunate the Rockets have built a lead versus the Twolves.

15. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I know Mike James cousin very well, and believe me, Mike James would love to come here and probably for a discount if it was up to him. He has family here and would love to be in Houston.
    There were talks this Summer, but obviously the Rockets went another route.

Im not saying Payton is the answer, but I would trade the first round pick for many starting PGs around the league simply because I believe our first round pick will get no playing time under JVG no matter how skilled.

First Round: Payton, Cassell

Mo T + 2nd Round: DA1, Mike James

Do you know what a warrior Sura is??? For him to go back to the Dr. who performed his offseason surgery and get a MRI, has me thinking that this has got to be VERY serious

16. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Swat-- I agree completely with your choice on Alston. Before the season, I felt that he was simply an AND1 miracle- one that just happened to have "enough" game to play in this league. Then I watched him play. The guy is like Jamaal Tinsley of the Pacers... He will get the job done for years to come,..assuming he can keep his head in check..

17. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

We may use our late first round pick for Deron Williams of Illinois.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Pros:
    -We get a veteran PG that will more than likely assure us of a playoff spot.
    -We see less of Strickland/Ward even when Sura gets back
    -GP is a better shooter than any PG we have

Cons:
    -Possible disruption to team chemisty
    -Lose a first round pick AND get older at the same time
    -Will GP hurt the offense by wanting too many shots?

This is a real tough call. I think I'd have to decline...although Payton showed last year with the Lakers that he could take a backseat, I don't know how much I trust him to stay that way. I don't like that he is one of those guys that will run his mouth the moment anything upsets him (such as demanding a trade as soon as he was dealt to the Celtics). I'd rather try and survive until Bob gets back with Barry logging some heavy PG minutes, with T-Mac bringing the ball up frequently also. I've liked what I've seen from Strickland as far as spreading the ball around goes, but we need a more active PG off the bench. I'd much rather see Barrett get those minutes.

If we could get Payton for Mo, that might change things...but I don't see Boston doing that. I think we need that pick this year...T-Mac and Yao are our only young players. They are the core of the team too, which is good...but I'd like to see a young PF next year, even if he takes time to develop. I just don't see Howard as the long term solution there, and I'm not banking on getting a free agent like Swift.

19. swat

swat Member

Rafer Alston can't keep his head in check because his coach is going around challenging the players to fight. Toronto is a war zone. The worst thing JVG would do to RA is to sarcasti-cize his defense or put a chihuaha hold on his leg.

Mike James would be cool, too.

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I had the same feeling as well, but looking at his stats, he is putting up some real nice numbers on a sub-par team. Seven assists per game is nothing to scoff at and he has had multiple 10+ assist game this year. He is a pesky defender and can break down a defense with his penetration.