1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wizkid83, Feb 5, 2005.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I was really addicted to the stuff from about 8th to 11th grade. Before the whole deal with trying to get into college started to occupy my mind.

I'm surprised it's still popular. I sold most of my cards when I stopped playing. But I do still own my very last deck(it's a land destruction deck) which does contain some nice cards. A couple of moxes, a bunch of dual lands, and some other stuff. I keep it mainly for the nostalgic value.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

'LIGHTNING BOLT!, LIGHTNING BOLT!, LIGHTNING BOLT!"

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

HAHA, this is crazy I found these... I think I have lots more I just need to find them..

[​IMG]

And I found this set also... I know I have more sets, and sealed boxes

[​IMG]

HAHA, I'm LMAO right now.. I always thought my old ass baseball cards would be worth something.. I wonder if my old friends know about this, my one friend had about 3x the amount of cards I did...

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Congrats. Defnitely think you should give a donation to the tip jar since this site just helped you realize you've had a couple of grand you don't even know about.

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

And so we enter the dark corner of my life . . .

I was HUGE into Magic back around 94-96. MTG was my life. I spent all sorts of money on buying cards, I never did anything but spend time working on my decks. I even created a sort of solitaire game that would help my strategy tremendously. I played all the time and I was REALLY REALLY REALLY good. It was an obsession that got so bad, had I not been forced to quit by my parents, I probably would have failed out of Strake Jesuit. I was a total degenerate. Blah, blah, blah, I stopped playing, and had to completely ween myself off paying attention to that stuff at all. It was really tough to break.

My favorite decks were my all white deck, which was darn near unbeatable, and my blue and red deck, which was a lot of fun because it centered on being able to quickly play lots of really big creatures like the Leviathan and Polar Kraken. My other good deck was a green and white deck, which was pretty decent.

6. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I hear ya, if I sell them the tipjar will see some action..

Thanks for ya'lls help..

7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Actually, your cards are MORE valuable than the ones they were showing on Ebay. Since yours are the black bordered ones, that means they are either Alphas or Betas, and thusly, more rare.

(I have now revealed the extent of my geekiness reaching back to high school when I used to play this game... sad I know)

Actually, my best friend from Texas was ON the Pro Tour for a while, and I've been to several of the Pro Tournaments. (mostly just to travel the country with my friend) I've met pretty much all the top players, and they all pretty much fit the mold of the underacheiving uber-intellectual mold.

I won't touch the cards with a 10 foot pole, though.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what in the hell is going on here???

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Smart kids abandoned the saturated sports market and decided that MTG is a much better investment :D

And, yeah your is black bordered so they might worth more (from the alpha and beta sets). I think the whites are unlimited so defintely do a little more research before selling.

10. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn.

Someone beat me to it. Sigh.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I started playing when Ice Age came out.

95/96 or so?

Anyway, I got really good, won a lot of regional tournaments.. did the state circuit, had fun, got tired of it around 1999, sold all my cards.

I was in 7th grade or so when I started, it gave me a decent hobby for a good 3 or 4 years.

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Into roleplaying games?

Check out www.the-gamers.com. The new film should be out late this year.

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

where has ZRB been?

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

"You two are more alike than you think."

"Yeah, except I'm a magician."

Name that tv show!

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Curb Your Mother****ing Enthusiasm! :D

17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

About 5 or 6 years ago, I was channel surfing and came across a televised MTG tournament on ESPN2. They were doing "play-by-play" and everything. I ragged on my rommate mercilessly when he started going to tournaments. Then, a few years ago, the wife (who loves any and all games), got the Portal set and a few booster packs. We've played ever since. No interest in tournaments or any of that and, now that I think about it, I've never even played anyone else but her. Good way to kill time.