1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't like the definition of YOF, and it divides the fan group

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

not gonna happen....

as Clutch himself has said MANY times...this is a ROCKETS board...

if they want a forum to discuss Yao and his godliness without haveing to listen to reality from more objective fans...there are already forums devoted to that. (ymm.com)

When you come to a well established forum like this one...you dont expect the forum to change to suit you...you change to suit the forum

btw.....this site has never bankrupted....cause it isnt a comemrcial site...

this place is a labor of love of our main man..Clutch...for years he has run this place totally out of his pocket....it is only with the increase in members associated with Yao that he foudn it necessary to accept help inthe form of donations.....the mandatory donation you see in effect now is to help weed out the idiots and trolls....you are less likely to risk your account if you had to pay to get it. Those donations go solely to help defray the considerable costs of bandwidth for this forum.....he doesnt make a dime from it...

the clutchcity.com fiasco has nothing to do with Clutch declaring bankruptcy (afaik).....

and if every Yao fan left tomorrow...this place would still exist...and it still would be the best forum on the net.

2. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

You know what, that idea is not a bad one. But then again, that is seperating Yao from the Rockets yet again. Yao does not = The Rockets. I would love to never see a "Yao rules Rockets Suck" post ever again.. but I try to stay away from Yao boards so i wont have to see those kinds of posts. It's just that when those posts seap over into a Rockets board is when it gets frustrating. This site is dedicated to the Rockets as a whole and we are not going to let a few YOFs hinder the culture of this board. (I say this like I have any power :p )

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Then, we'll have one forum for every single player;)

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Wow...just...wow.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. This site has been 'busy' for a long, long time.

The quality of the GARM, however, has been a concern a little more recently.

Strange, that.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Man, are you on crack? It's helps to have an idea of what you are talking about before you say it.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well ....

he certainly seems to fit in with some of the others that seem to pull their posts out of their nether regions.

I laughed out loud...I mean ...really....physically LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I read the ill-informed posts concerning the history of this site..

did the guy think that those of us who have been around here since way back them were gonna let that crap fly? :confused:

oh my.....

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

For $1M

Answer

Is this your final answer?

You have one life-line remaining......would you like to use it now?

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Moron, this board was cool even before yao Rocked up. you're the reason why people hate( including me) Bandwagoners like YOF!!!!

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The problem with YOF's is that they think that, were it not for the Rockets, Yao would dominate and win a championship this year. They are wrong. Yao's where he is in his development and he will get better. We don't yet know if he'll be a glorified S. Bradley or the next Hakeem (or even better) or maybe somewhere in between. Meantime, every Rockets loss is, according to the Chinese fans around here (do you like that better than YOF?), the Rockets' fault and every win is in spite of the rest of the team.

You guys freaking hate on Sura. Whatttt????? Facts are facts. The team has gotten better and won more consistently since Bobby Sura came around.

Yao is not ready to dominate apparently (yet, we all hope he will be soon) and it doesn't matter which team he is on in the face of that. You fellas think that if he was on the Lakers he'd suddenly dominate? On the Clippers? Newsflash: he doesn't do that. Not yet.

Thing is, the Rockets organization has staked their whole future on the idea that he can learn to do it. They are building their team around him. Why's Steve gone? Cat? Yao.

We were planning to build our team around those guys and they're gone because we're building around Yao. This idea that Yao's being mistreated in Houston is the dumbest, most frustrating idea ever. I wish Clutch would build a site for you whiners or just ban you. You won't be happy til Yao runs the league and you have no concept of the fact that he just can't do that yet. We all want that. And the Rockets have staked their future on it. Respect that or keep whining, but don't b**** about being called YOF's. You guys have ruined this board. You're lucky you're still allowed to post here.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You get the YOF label because it denotes bias toward Yao at the expense of reason or logic. If Yao is covered, fronted or doubled. You still want Sura to pass the ball to Yao. If Sura has a match-up advantage and can take the player off the dribble, you still want Sura to pass the ball to Yao. If TMac is not playing and we are successful in getting to the FT line with Sura. You' still want us to ignore that, and just *throw the ball to Yao.*

See, your definition of "stupid basketball" defies logic. Call it Yao-colored-glasses, Yao-bias, or YOF. It's all the same. It a term that is used to describe a pattern of bias towards one player at the expense of the TEAM and even WINNING!

Oh, and "Orlando was sucking extremely bad" because our team defense! Guess you missed that.

#90 DavidS, Jan 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

THIS really is amazing.

Do you think you guys have HELPED the site? Really?

You guys have cost the site. You blew up the bandwidth causing the site to close down many times before Clutch finally, for the first time in many years, solicited donations to offset the sudden influx of YOF's. You're lucky we all loved the site so much that we contributed to keep it open. Hits don't help here. There are no advertisers here nor any hope of any.

If you all leave the site will not go bankrupt; it will go back to where it was before, which was a far better place to talk basketball than it is now.

Clutch has never made a dime on this site. It's a labor of love, because he loves his Houston Rockets. That's why the rest of us (whether we live in Houston, are from Houston or just saw a Houston game overseas at some point that turned us on) are here. You guys are the flies in the ointment. Clutch will never get rich on this site and he will definitely never go bankrupt on account of it, just to put your silly threats in context.

You have no idea how excited we were to get Yao Ming in the draft over here (you have no idea cause you weren't here) and you have no idea how committed we are to him (he remains MY favorite player in the NBA even though he hasn't lived up to expectations YET). You also have no idea how freaking annoying you YOF's are. I mean, you guys make me WANT to hate my favorite player. Take a pill. Calm down. Learn the NBA a little. Yao's gonna be here a long time -- in the NBA I mean, doesn't really matter if it's Houston or elsewhere, he's gonna have to learn the NBA game and he hasn't yet -- enjoy it. We're all trying to. We all very much hope he does it here. So do Les and Carroll and Jeff VG and T-Mac and basically all of Houston. We are rooting for him and the guys with the power are doing everything they can to help him succeed. Meantime, around here, we're doing everything we can to root for him. You guys could make it a lot easier if you'd calm the hell down.

12. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

DavidS, now you are just arguing with me for the sake of arguing. Tell me again how Sura 3-13FG the "Brick" is a better offensive option than 9-14 FG Yao vs Magic? Tonight your man Sura didn't do any better either, 1-8 FG. You know the Rockets PG situation is bad when Rod "Recreational League" Strickland was playing 20 minutes per game and was a better player than Sura. Not to mention no name player Dan Dickau made our PGs look like fools.

13. DavidS

littlefish_220,

Not every YF is a YOF. Only the ones that blame others most of Yao's struggles. If it gets too extreme. They are too bias.

The team is playing best when you don't know how many points each player has...all that matters is that our team is winning and controlling our opponents.

Any attempt to try and force Yao get more shots because they WANT him to be more a "star" or more part of the offense is not looking at what we are trying to accomplish here. We want a championship. That includes Yao. It doesn't preclude him. Team must come first. TMac gets most of the shots. Yao sometimes (because he struggles at times) and Sura or Barry or Howard will take over.

Some YOF think that if Yao doesn't get 15 shots per game, he's being shunned. That's not the case. Sometimes it's best to get him the ball, sometimes it's not. It just depends on the situation.

The team must play as a machine. A well oiled machine. This method will bring the rings. Not bickering about more shots for Yao. He'll get rewarded if he gets himself open that are less risky to pass into. And as he improves, he'll get more shots because he gets himself open for those shots. It's a cycle of give an take.

Sura may take shots even when Yao is open or seems open (Memphis defenders hounding Yao; help defense). But as long as Sura contributes (or Howard or Barry). That's all that matters. That's when the team is playing successfully and exploiting our opponents weaknesses. Passing it to Yao when they are fronting him or pushing him around is not the best play sometimes (open or not). It's just too risky.

#93 DavidS, Jan 27, 2005
  14. DavidS

I'm pointing out to you why you deserve the YOF label. So I explained to you what the term meant. Don't like YOF? How about Yao-bias? Or narrow-minded. Or selfish for Yao's sake at the expense of the team and winning? Are those terms better? Huh?

Next...
    3-13 is not better than 9-14. But 9-12 from the FT is better than 4-5 from the FT line. How do you think Sura got to the line? Standing around? No. He got there by being aggressive and driving to the basket. Look at his whole contribution. All you want is "give it to Yao." That's it. You aren't looking at the whole team concept at all. Give it to Yao....give it to Yao...blah, blah, blah...that's all you say.

You complain about the PGs but don't have a clue about how to get those players. You just yammer aways that the "scouts should do their job" without knowing what's going on behind the scenes. You say we should sign better PGs but then in the same sentence admit we can't afford them because of old contracts. Yet, you still yap away that we need to get better PGs. Around and around you go...spinning away....

We have a PG/G roation...it's the best we can get right now...and they are doing a good job considering we don't have a pure PG....Yet, you can't see any of this...just give the ball to Yao, you say...

You don't hear me saying give the ball to Sura everytime. I say mix it up. Tmac becomes a our main option when eveyrone is struggling. We attack our opponents when there is a opportunity to get a shot. If we miss, just keep taking OPEN shots. What? You want us to take contested shots as long as Yao takes them? That Orlando game was a huge team effort that produced points, rebounds, steals, rebounds from a lot of people. Sura's shots was not falling from the outside, but he was contributing from the FT line, rebounds and on defense (pressure on Francis). That's what you do to win the game. Again, you aren't concerned about that. Just "give the ball to Yao." Wins? What's that?

Dan Dickau played 100% and even scored a lay-up on Yao. So, it wasn't just our guards. And I think you need to give Dan Dickau a little credit. He's a good player. Stop acting like he's a scrub. You need to watch a few more of his games before you do that. Over 16 points the last 4 games and a few 25+ games to boot.

As far as Strickland and Sura....Played better? Well, if you call 5 pts vs 5 pts better. And please don't suggest that we start Strickland because he played 20 minutes vs 27 minutes for Sura. Strickland was brought here to give Sura some rest; as team players. If Sura goes down with an injury you'll be b****ing and whining that Barry or Wesley needs to pass the ball to Yao more.

#94 DavidS, Jan 27, 2005
  15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm sure this has been said before but the one area where YOF's get to me is when they start threads demanding Yao get traded.

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

As a Chinese (Chinese-American) I've rooted for the Rockets long before Yao and hopefully will be doing so long after Yao. I'm sure there are some of my Chinese brethren who feel the same. Afterall Yao's favorite player was Dream so he was a Rox fan, or at least a DOF, before he played for the Rox.

#96 Sishir Chang, Jan 27, 2005
  17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

just sad, i have no other words for it, just sad

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

The moron is basicly Insulting all the genuine fans.

19. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If the opponent is playing a zone defense sagging into all low post passing lanes leaving the perimeter guards wide open and you complain they don't pass into the post....you might have a Yao-bias. ;)

20. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Your assumption that all Chinese fans are YOFs just show a typical ignorance in America. (Note that I don't regard this as "American ignorance".) Do you think all Germans root for Adolf Hitler? Do you think all Americans root for George W Bush regarding the invasion in Iraq? It's a pity that Edward Said cannot change the stereotyped thoughts of the Asian people by the stupid dumbasses who can never understand his vision.

The fact that I am a Chinese fan in Hong Kong instead of a Chinese-American doesn't imply I am a Yao-only fan. I have rooted for Rockets since Stevie Franchise was drafted. I had been a die-hard Francis fan before he was traded. Now I root for T-Mac as he is in Rockets uniform. I know Tracy is a great basetkball player but I still believe that Steve is good for the team. Throughout the years I have learnt more and more about the Rockets tradition, especially in this BBS, and started to appreciate guys like Rudy T and Hakeem as well. I am a Yao fan of course, not only because he is a Chinese but his skills and finesse really impressed me. That's why I never root for Wang Zhizhi and Mengke Bateer as much as I love Yao. In spite of this I never argue in favour of Yao at the expense of Rockets. I understand some YOFs, or non-Houston fans (like Lakers, Warriors fans) to be exact, are really annoying around here, saying that Yao does not fit in JVG's system and should be traded to LA, NY blah blah blah. But it doesn't imply all these YOFs are Chinese people. Sometimes I am embarrassed by those Chinese YOFs who say that Yao should play with Kobe, etc. On the other hand I have seen a lot of proposals of trading Yao by the non-Chinese fans here. I suppose it's pretty obvious that the idea of saying "the Chinese fans" here are biased for Yao is nothing but plain ignorance.

I hope you won't embarrass the people in your country again by judging people according to ethnicity. Thank you.