1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everything Beltran related!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Alimoe84, Jan 9, 2005.

?

Who is to blame for the Beltran debacle??

1. Carlos Beltran

82 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Scott Borass

56 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Drayton McLane and Tim Purpura

28 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. MLB rules

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Oh brother, I'd like to see you spin the Randy Johnson and Carlos Beltran acquisitions midseason, please. And I want to know, whose fault is it that the team didn't make the World Series either year, oh wise one :rolleyes:

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

any reason why you changed my quote?

3. DVauthrin

I'm not a big Soriano fan at all. However, circumstances have dramatically changed in the past few days, to the point that Soriano makes sense at the right price. He would be a one year deal, meaning the Astros would retain flexibility to go get a second star hitter in FA next year or via trade. Of course, if I traded for Alfonso, I would consider seeing how he could do with his speed in CF, but his bat outweighs the defense issues with the losses of both Kent and Beltran.

4. NJRocket

they were great, cheap ways to try to win short term

it was no one's fault in particular that we didnt get there...we got beat by a slightly better team...period.

So what is the rationale for breaking up the team that got us further than we have ever gone before oh wise one?

5. DVauthrin

I didn't change your quote. My responses are right under yours every time except the Kent one.

1) They lost, yippee. And just because they made one WS while Houston didn't doesn't mean they are a better organization. Houston has had a winning record in 10 out of the last 11 years. On the other hand the Mets have had 5. And as far as playoff appearances go the Astros have 5 and the Mets 2, and that's not counting the strike season. But obviously, just because they did more while in the playoffs means they are more successful overall.

2) Of course not, they'll be too busy not understanding why the Braves finish ahead of them again and why they don't make the playoffs.

3) I said the guy can hit. But his defense cost the Astros many a game as well, and at 8.5 million dollars(what LA offered him) I can understand letting him walk, especially when you have Chris Burke in the organization already. Of course they need to fill his bat somehow, but they have a month/and a half to do that. I'm just saying you people jumping down his throat about letting Kent walk need to realize it's understandable why, just like Wagner last year. Letting Jeff Kent go does not mean he isn't committed to winning by any stretch.

6. CAKoudelka

CAKoudelka Contributing Member

This is a little misleading though, you have to admit. I mean, I was there through all those seasons, and I can honestly say, every year I was left with disappointment, including this latest meltdown.

Whats wrong with wanting better ? Whats so bad about chasing a World Series ? You are telling me you wouldnt jump on the bandwagon if Drayton had signed Carlos, Roger, kept Kent, and maybe chased a big time pitcher, maxed his pockets out ? You wouldnt go to any games, or watch any on TV if Drayton had actually spent some money. You think Florida and Arizona fans werent happy when they won it all, even though they had to part with some players when it was over.

I am just dreaming, but, if we had pulled all that off, and we had won a series, you dont think Bag would go, Big, Roger, Kent, thats where we are prolly gonna be anyway, why not take a shot ?

7. DVauthrin

1) Carlos Beltran is not Drayton's fault. He was the most important thing on this list and he screwed Houston over.

2) Wade Miller was not a major part of last year's success, as he was hurt. And they have Backe/Buckholz in the wings. If Clemens does return, which many people still think he will, miller conceivably could have been considered a 5th starter with the emergence of Backe. A nice guy to have, but not irreplaceable. If Clemens doesn't return, they need to fill two spots, but it's not like they don't have arms in the organization that can't fill spots or be traded to fill spots.

3) They wanted to use Kent's money to help in what they thought was a chance Beltran would return, thus setting the team up perfectly after Bagwell/Biggio leave in the next few years. However it didn't work out. That is why you see them trying for a Soriano, etc to keep them competitive until they can find the second piece to fit next to Lance. And Kent wanted a no trade clause, which is really foolish to give an aging 2B because if the team sucks or his production goes downhill the team can't get anything for him or at least cut their losses.

4) This team was going to have to be retooled anyway. The Astros are trying to remain competitive while rebuilding on the fly for two years down the road. The Astros don't have the financial resources that Boston or New York do, therefore they can't just sign a bunch of good FA's to fill holes, and it's not like Houston is a hotspot for the average FA. They have to find some talented youngsters to fill spots around their stars. Can you imagine for example: Jeff Kent signed for two years but without the ability to be traded if the club falls out of contention for prospects that help the long term outlook of the team. They are in a tough spot, as they need to put a winner out there this year to take advantage of last year. They can do it, if they are shrewd about who they pursue. Lastly, if Clemens does return(if), i'll put the Astros front 3 healthy(knock on wood) against anyone in the NL. If he were to return, they still stand a decent chance of winning the pennant if they make a few upgrades in the offense and add one or two more arms to the pen.

For example: Soriano, Scott Schoenweis, Scott Williamson especially and one of Cruz Jr or Winn, and possibly Burnitz as a starter/platoon/injury option. All on short deals retaining flexibility I might add.

8. CAKoudelka

This is your plan if you want to save money, honestly, short contracts, and soriano, the big one, expires in a year, so he will be playing for a contract, and we will let another one. " slip through our fingers"

Cut salary, sign expiring contracts, fail to resign, cut salary, sign expiring contracts, fail to resign...

9. NJRocket

Soriano is the key there...if he trades for him without negotiating an extension, he is just doing patchwork again. He's a guy who can help our lineup for the next 3-4 years.

The rest of those guys are stop gaps that will kepp us out of the cellar....but nowhere near the playoffs

If we get Soriano, which other than some ESPN Insider rumors seems to be a longshot at best, then the other guys would make ok additions for the upcoming year.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Scott Williamson had a 2nd tommy john surgery and is likely out for all of 2005. I like the idea of bolstering the pen, but he's not an answer.

11. DVauthrin

And the year the Mets lost to the Yankees their fans felt the same disappointment because they didn't win it all. How much you spend does not have any correlation to winning world series or even getting to the playoffs. Now if you combine spending and good management like Boston of late and the Yankees, then it does, but the management is the key. Go ask Dodgers, Orioles, Braves(until lately with the cutbacks) and Rangers fans about how their spending has turned out. There is no guarantee that spending all that money wins you a damn thing. The only thing it does guarantee is better odds and a firesale forthcoming in the future. I'm not going to sit here and say I didn't want Beltran back. I did vigorously. However, Drayton McLane gave Houston and its fans his best shot without paying the man A-Rod salary. And it's obvious that Houston was never in Beltran's longterm picture, NY was. He was playing a game he couldn't win. Unfortunately by the time that became apparent Steve Finley signed in Anaheim, Dave Roberts and Scott Podsednik were traded and almost the other prominent FA's were other Boras clients. The only thing left was Alou, and I'm not that keen on paying him 7 million a year at this point in his career.

Of course I want a world series, duh, every fan does. But Drayton McLane has given the Astros ample opportunities to accomplish that goal during his tenure as owner. You guys just expect him to be right up there next to the Yankees in payroll every year when he doesn't have near the financial resources as the Yankees do. And just because he keeps an 80 million dollar payroll doesn't mean he isn't committed to winning. Time and Time again when the team needs a spark he ok's a trade. You people just think that you can resign every great player that comes here for what he's worth no matter the logistics of the Houston baseball market. It doesn't work that way, it will never work that way and that spending doesn't automatically guarantee the Astros the NL pennant by any means.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You and every MLB fan minus the WS winners for the last 11years.

13. CAKoudelka

i couldnt have said that any better

14. DVauthrin

Didn't know that, yikes, stay away. Ok, I'd talk to the whitesox and the A's then about trading for Marte in chicago and one of Street, Cruz or Calero in Oakland as none of the remainder of FA options are worthy setup men.

15. CAKoudelka

I dont remember saying I was disappointed with the outcome of the season, I was disappointed with the offseasons that followed, except for this past season with Roger and Andy. I admit Drayton spent a few bucks, but, he blew the pen up to do it, thus Jim Edmonds walk off home run game 6

16. NJRocket

CAK - i'm with you for the most part but I hae to stop you there....you can't honestly be upset with anything drayton did last year can you?

17. DVauthrin

No this is my plan to remain competitive while allowing financial flexibility to get the guys they really want next offseason. It's a million times better than the alternative, which is overpay a bunch of FA's to longterm deals. Then there is no way out.

18. NJRocket

The issue is that our financial flexibility is never as flexible as someone else's....and its not because drayton doesn't have it...its because he doesn't use it all the time.

19. DVauthrin

I have no problem resigning Soriano, but the point is if they see a better player available that they need and like more, they could pursue him without being tied down with nasty longterm contracts. That is the point.

20. NJRocket

Its a viscious cycle DV....so we get to next offseason with money to spend....problem is it will never be as much as someone else is willing to spend