1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Time To Quit Acting Like A Robot Yao.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

only if he brought the intensity that we want to see....just changing systems wont change his level of play and aggressiveness on the court.

that has to come from within,

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*** Merged rhester's thread into this one.

3. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

You calling every Yao fan Chinese contradicts your opinion that bias shouldn't have a role in the discussion.

4. Daddy

Daddy Member

no opposing arguments. just resentfull ex-espn posters talking about not taking daddy seriously. im obviously not here trolling, so ill take "not taking him seriously" as an inability to pose a more logical argument.

personally, i dont care if you take me seriously. you can all not take me seriously, and it wont make a single word of what i said any less likely or true.

it does make it more likely that you dont know how to respond other than making this a post about what you think of me, just like some did on espn.

5. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

They "know" that you're right on? I'm sure u hated it when the boards were filled with nothing but Steve haters. What did u say to people when they said Steve was a bonehead, has low bball iq, couldn't run a fastbreak to save his life? I'm sorely disappointed in Yao right now, but c'mon man, posters are defending Yao the same way you defended Steve. You're just instigating people to talk crap about Yao.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

1. I don't care what another board has 'done' to any poster here. If I judge them at all, it will be based on what they post here.

2. If you want to resort to ad hominem attacks, why not just jump over to the D&D.

7. Daddy

Daddy Member

if you dont like the thread, why did you read it and reply to it. did you feel like this thread would be better served if you expressed your idea??

dont know where i said yao sucks.

i didnt post this to say "yao sucks" i posted this to critique yaos game, and from what i see, this is a topic that discusses a different discription for the way he plays. these are my thoughts.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Man, if it were not too much to ask, I am dying to ask Clutch, Jeff, or anyone else to let us BBS members know how many "new members" joined Clutchfans.net when Yao came to the team?

I really would like to know especially the months of Oct-Dec 2002, because it is clear to me that sooooooooo many Yao-Only-Fans are all over this board, just an instinct ;)

It would really be an excellent service if someone was able to list the # of members who have joined the BBS in late 2002, I am just guessing there was a "spike" in new membership during those few months, but I could be wrong. In fact, it would be nice to know how many, if any, were from China.

Clutch, Jeff, anyone? Just for fun :)

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

(Wow, this thread may just end up in the D&D)

Don't you think that sounds a bit condescending? How do you know what Chinese fans know about basketball? :confused:

10. Daddy

Daddy Member

jvg isnt forcing him to do something that isnt good for him. yao HAS to play that way, and this is why:

there is a big difference between what you see with guys like tim duncan, amare stoudamire and yao. the difference is the fact that they both have the ball handling ability to make a move off the dribble, and they are both quick enough to get by a defender while facing him. what does that have to do with yao shooting 17 foot jumpers?? because if there is the threat of being able to get by your defender, then there is going to be spacing between you and him. and spacing is what makes it possible to shoot over athletic defenders and jumpers. yao doesnt have the ability to handle the ball and make moves to the basket. his best bet in creating his own shot is to make a move in the post and limit the distance he has to move to get that shot. and the way to create shots for others is by causing a double team. the ability to pass a defender is the same principle as posting and threatening to score. it draws defenders to you and creates open shots for teammates.

for this reason, you will not see yao playing face the basket basketball. we have guards that are better distance shooters than yao, and they should be the ones getting open shots from that distance. we arent going to hurt the team just so yao can have more shots. and taking this function away from the team would hurt it. that is another reason why stats dont tell the whole story.

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I posted that in the other thread that was merged into this one. I wasn't writing that towards you.

12. Daddy

Daddy Member

where exactly did i say every yao fan was chinese?? am i wrong to basically say that the majority of the people that made these claims against me were chinese, if i have come to learn in the years i have posted there, who is chinese and who isnt?? do you know what the word majority means??

13. lalala902102001

It's a legit question, but it's not a realistic question.

The NBA is a business. Yao Ming, even if he never improves, still makes a ton of money for the league. He's virtually untradable from a business stand ponit. Chance is that he'll stay with the Rockets organization for at least another seven, eight years.

IMO 18~19 pts a game is good enough for Yao to be TMac's sidekick. He ain't no superstar, but he is a legit SECOND option on any team in the league. His offense has actually regressed this year, but I think that he will eventually recover. His defense, on the other hand, is another question (lateral quickness is a god-given ability and Yao doesn't have much of it).

No basketball expert has ever predicted that Ming would be a superstar (well unless you count Bill "I say the darnest things" Walton). People need to start to accept Ming for who he is--a very good (not great) offensive player and a so-so defensive player. As a Rockets fan, you will have to watch him on this team for another decade or so. So unless you want to live in misery for years while watching your favorite team, accept that fact now.

I still think that our main problem this year is not Yao's play, but lack of good role players. When I was watching the Suns game on Wednesday, I was really shocked by the disparity of total talent level between us and Phoenix. It's a result of bad management over the years. We have to be patient and do the right things to turn this team around. We can start doing that by improving our scouting program.

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Webber + Bibby + #1 pick
    for Yao and Mo Tay

15. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

This place is starting to look like the espn boards now.....oh joy.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Whats with you and race? Yao won the paper balloting last year in the NBA All Star vote over Shaq, so obviously white and black folks like him too. First the comment about the culture thing, now this. tsk tsk, This is what happens when you go off the subject of basketball.

17. hotballa

You seriously need to get off the racial thing.

18. Daddy

Daddy Member

i may have generalized chinese fans, and i didnt mean to do that. if it sounded like it, i didnt mean to say that because you are chinese you dont know basketball. but on espn.com, i have talked to many asian fans, and many are new to the sport. those who i am speaking of have formed many wrong opinions about basketball. im not saying that i am the difinitive of right and wrong basketball opinions, but i know absurd when i read it. for instance, i can tell that there are many more basketball astute posters in this forum because i read their posts and they make good points.

19. hotballa

Something like a billion people ion China don't have Internet access. The ones that do usually waste their time at some chinese forum website. The people you deal with on the ESPN boards who are supposedly Chinese represent a very very small percentage of Chinese fans overall, say maybe .000000000001 percent.

20. Daddy

Daddy Member

oh if it were only limited to that.

how do you know with what i agreed with, and what i didnt?? im not blind. i never insisted that steve had a great season. but im a pretty smart guy, and whether it sounds cocky or not, i do know a bit about basketball. i can tell you when the words "cancer" are thrown about like "yao hater", that we are talking on an absurd level. i know when people post for 3 days discussing that they have a problem with steve wearing a #12 armband after moochie got traded because "he is showing up jeff van gundy", among MANY other threads just as absurd as those, who is forming a good opinion and what needs to have an opposing view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.