1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Francis slams JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jan 3, 2005.

1. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

It's starting to bore me, all the run that the Magic are getting (or are at least used to getting). What everyone here knows, and that Van Gundy has finally had to illuminate to the press/media, is with Howard, Hill, and a healthy Garrity, this is not even close to being the same thing (akin tod calling us the 2003-2004 Rockets of old).

It's the same old shrinking violet that is Stevie...great start with great heart, but when the heat is on, quite frankly, he doesn't know what the hell to do.

McGrady runs circles around Francis, folks. Even the Franchise lovers know this. As Daddy illuminated in his great post, we could be onto something.

I do think Van Gundy sucks, though.

2. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

exactly

expecially HillĀ“s part.

3. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I'm glad that he said it, I say, well said. If he really makes everyone feel this way, I would want it to atleast be brought to attention so that we don't lose our other franchise guy, Ming. It's more important to keep Ming, and McGrady, that it is to keep Gundy. Disagree if you want, this is my view as a fan.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Instead of worrying about taking a shot at Van Gundy maybe Francis should worry about Orlando self-destructing. Van Gundy preached discipline, his new coach doesn't and now Orlando is falling apart.

5. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I just wonder how many of you Francis bashers were the same folks cheering for him when he wore a Rocket's uniform. Francis is still hurt from being traded. It's obvious he loved Houston and playing with Yao from his interviews and his BET Cribs spotlight. There isn't anything wrong with him making comments about how he felt about JVG and his coaching. How many of you have never criticized a boss??? (and please no - "if I made a zillion dollars I'd take all the crap my boss dished out" posts).

We all know that JVG's system stifles offensive minded players a little. Anyone who disagrees should also explain why T-Mac's scoring is down this season. That being said, it doesn't mean JVG is a bad coach- he just wasn't a good fit with Steve.

I think that most people are pissed at Steve's comments b/c he is getting off in Orlando and good for him. He still says positive things about his experience here in Houston (still the best thing that happened to him) and he still plans to run his charity event here in town.

Just be glad for the guy and thanks for the memories.

6. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Francis should stop crying and try to figure out how to get his team out of the rut their in.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

now i have seen it all. DD defending Stevie. i remember the good old days when i had discusions with DD about stevie. I thought he was very good, DD hated him. Now DD is defending him :eek: :D

i agree with DD, Stevie is gone, he was very upset he was traded, and i can imaging that what he said about van gundy is true. So he just said what he tought. maybe not the best thing to do. But who cares. It is not like van gundy is gonna lose sleep over this, so why should we:D

i hope he plays well and i hope the magic wil make the play-offs.

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Yeah dropping a triple double and nearly averaging a triple double in the playoffs and balling you heart off while the rest of the team failed to show up is not handling things well :rolleyes:

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

How do you know his new coach doesn't preach discipline? The Rockets fell apart last year too, even with all of Van Gundy's great 'discipline'.

10. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

A Coach is always above his players---he's not your buddy--- he's sort of your Father figure. Francis has all been out for number one. I don't think it's his fault. It's his basketball upbring. He has talent but mostly as an individual type player. He controlled his draft location, he controlled the ball at Houston. So when JVG started to teach the team game, Stevie couldn't or didn't want to give up the ball. The ball always went to him in the pass but now someone wants to take it away. I reallly don't know how good JVG is as a Pro Coach but I perfer watching the team related game then Francis driving into the lane trying to force a shot with open Rockets waiting for the Ball. I appreciate the fact that SF played his heart out in IAH I really believe the Rockets are better off now with T mac and JVG.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Was it a stupid quote of Francis? Yes. Was it a horrible, rotten, dirty, childish, immature, unresponsible, calibre stupid thing to say? Not even close.

He said Van Gundy thought he was bigger than the players and that was a problem.

It was no big deal.

I think Francis is wrong, and that is the least of the things Steve should be or should have been worried about. Steve should focus on himself.

But I don't blame Francis for having resentment against JVG. Jeff wasn't honest with Steve when it came time for the trade.

As for comments against Barkley or Dream, Steve didn't say anything. Steve has been on record praising the Hakeem many times. Also, as someone else pointed out, Charles himself claimed he was no role model.

Steve is having a fairly good year so far. It has it's ups and downs, and we've seen that before with him. Overall this year Steve has had more ups than downs. His numbers are similar to before, but he's taking better shots, and he's getting his numbers in flow with the team's offense and not at the detriment of the team's offense. T-mac is having a down year so far with a few really great up moments. For those that wanted to blame everything on STeve Francis in the past and thought that removing him from the team was addition by subtraction, it seems hard to take.

In the end Steve's quote about JVG was stupid, on a scale of 1-100 on how stupid it was, it falls very low. It's probably about a 19.

It certainly isn't worth all this commotion.

12. Stylez

Stylez Member

You say Francis is wrong? I think he knows what went on a little better than you do.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He may be correct that JVG feels he is over important. I think Francis is wrong for worrying about it.

14. Miggidy Markell

Francis is not quoted saying those things about Dream or Bark. Credit them to the NY Times.

Until JVG starts winning games as Rockets coach and bring this team to it's potential, he is doing something wrong and none of you people could have seen his coaching like Steve has.

If T-Mac leaves before JVG I think we'll start hearing similar comments on his poor coaching, poor communication skills.

15. Miggidy Markell

I think he did didn't he? 35 points 14-24 fg 3-3 3fg 11reb 6ast with the win against Seattle...?