1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Reilly to be on Politically Incorrect Tonight!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheFreak, Sep 19, 2000.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I just found out that Bill O'Reilly filmed a showing of 'Politically Incorrect', that will air tonight! In his own words, "it got ugly"! I hate that show, and I'm glad they finally got someone smart on there for once to give the OTHER SIDE's point of view...you can bet that there will be 3 flaming liberals as guests to off-set Bill, and that Bill Maher will still be going for cheap laughs at the expense of actual points, but you gotta root for O'Reilly to stick it to the establishment for a night!

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

the other 3 guests are
    Giselle Fernandez (host of Access Hollywood)
    Joey McIntyre (former New Kid On The Block)
    Howard Kurtz (CNN host of "reliable Sources"

Kurtz also wrote for The New Republic, Washington Post and wrote the book "Spin-Cycle: Inside the Clinton Propaganda Machine"

hardly 3 flaming liberals but I guess we'll see in an hour and a half if you are right.

I think P.I. does a pretty good job of balancing opposing viewpoints. They use a lot of actors and entertainers to attract viewers and it just so happens that many of them are liberals, but not all. The other night, Billy Ray Cyrus was on promoting prayer in schools. Arriana Huffington is a regular guest and she's very conservative AND smart.

Maher himself has as many conservative opinions as liberal ones.

3. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Being very conservative AND smart are not mutually exclusive.

------------------

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

I never said they were mutually exclusive. Freak was saying how they finally had someone who was both smart and conservative on P.I. in O'Reilly but there have been other smart conservatives on the show previously.

I can't believe O'Reilly thinks that "it got ugly", that was one of the most civilized discussions in the history of the program. If McIntyre wasn't there to act silly, it would have been down right boring.

So Freak, what did you think of the "flaming liberals"?

5. TheFreak

outlaw -- if O'Reilly hadn't been there, it probably would've been the typical liberal love-fest that it usually is on that show. The woman on there seemed to be pretty independent, but I think O'Reilly, by often controlling the conversation and knowing what he was talking about, brought out fairer viewpoints from her as well as the others. The New Kid was pretty useless, but he did at least seem to align himself with O'Reilly once he started to take charge of the discussions. All in all, I thought it was the fairest group I've seen on there, but I think O'Reilly made it that way. What didn't change though, was that idiot Bill Maher's insistence on taking center-stage, and using jokes instead of points to win laughs from the audience. Nobody ever calls him on the stupid crap he tries to pull on the show, but O'Reilly finally did that. In typical Maher fashion, he picks out one line from O'Reilly's book that he thinks he can make light of, and tries to make that the focus of the show. O'Reilly called him on just how stupid that was, which was great.

Also, I don't consider O'Reilly to be conservative. He's a common-sense independent, and doesn't always take the same side regardless of the issue.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Call me a flaming liberal, but who is Bill O'Reilly?

And, how sad is it that they needed a member of NKOTB to fill their panel. What, was Pauly Shore not available again?

------------------

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Freak,

Do you honestly expect real political debate to occur on Politically Incorrect.

Maher is a comedian (although, a really bad one IMO), so of course he will just try to make jokes. That is why he gets paid.

That is why that drivel is popular. If it was real, it would never be in prime time.

Oh, and I have heard Maher claim to be a Libertarian - that is by no means a liberal party.

I did not see the show (nor do I ever) so this is just a question, not an attack...but how did O'Reilly make it a fair discussion for all sides if, as you said, he controlled the conversation? Did he act as a kind of moderator, or something?

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Radar's gonna be on PI?
    I loved M*A*S*H!

rockHEAD
    ==================================
    The Original Bong Brother
    ==================================

------------------
    *** THIS SPACE FOR LEASE ***

9. TB3

TB3 Member

If Bill M. is a libertarian, I am the King of Sweden.

Bill M. is a closet Liberal, with a big "L". Psuedo-centrists like him make me

<center><font size=10 color="green">SICK</font></center>

------------------

10. TheFreak

SC -- he has his own news show on the Fox News Channel called The O'Reilly Factor that airs every night at 7pm CT. He takes all kinds of guests and isn't soft on anybody. It has to be the best news show on TV, IMO. Even RM95 likes him. [​IMG]

rim 'the baud' -- no I guess I don't expect real debate to occur on that show, which is part of the reason I don't like it I suppose. It's just that people who are actually there to talk about the issues are often made to look stupid by Maher or the audience. Again, possibly to be expected, but a reason why I don't like the show.

As for why I think O'Reilly made the discussion more fair...I think usually the guests on the show are intimidated by Maher, and become concerned with making the audience like them. This usually results in a one-sided discussion (nobody wants to be embarrassed by one of Maher's jokes, so they watch what they say). O'Reilly came out confident, spoke with conviction, and knew what he was talking about. He also wasn't going to be pushed around by Maher or be afraid of looking stupid. It seemed like this sort of won the audience/panel over, and made the others on the panel less afraid to take his side. It also seemed to frustrate Maher a little, which is great.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Freak,

Thanks. I've heard of that show, but I don't get cable so I've never seen it (not a money decision, as much as an attempt to spend less time in front of the idiot box).

BTW, I agree with both you and rimmy on PI. It's a fluff talk show that tries to sell itself as something else.

------------------

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Maher is like the guy on this message board (whose name escapes me) who told me in one sentence he was Libertarian, while telling me in the next sentence he wouldn't vote for Bush because he might cut out some welfare programs....huh???? I should have posted that on the "stupidest things you ever heard" thread!

------------------