1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Zogby/Reuter poll on election issues.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman95, Sep 7, 2000.

1. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

And yet African-Americans of the '60s had no trouble supporting a Democratic Party with openly racist members such as Ernest Hollings and other Southern Democrats who staunchly supported segregation (and even, in some cases, put up the Confederate flag at the statehouse or added the confederate flag to the state flag just to show their defiance against integration.)

------------------
    HoustonSportsBoard.com
    SpiritOfTheBull.com The Best Houston Texans Fan Site

2. hetero doxy

hetero doxy Member

prior to the passage of the voting rights act in 1967, it didn't really matter what blacks in the south thought. nice talk radio nonsense, as usual, paige.

------------------

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The voting rights act was passed in 1965... meanie-head.

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Despite HD's idiocy, I would have to say that I partially agree. In the 60's, you had guys like Kennedy's (Robert and JFK) and others who were very supportive of civil rights. At that point, the Republican Party was even less inclusive. I'm sure there are still racists who are democrats, but it would appear that fewer are than Republicans.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. mrpaige

It does matter. African-Americans did vote. The question is why were the African-Americans of the '60s and beyond such huge Democrats if it was the Democrats who were working so hard to keep the African-Americans from integrating and from voting?

The offsetting of the good Democrats who did care about Civil Rights issues obviously was enough to overcome the bad Democrats in the South for the vast majority of African-Americans.

Perhaps the problems with Republicans today in regards to attracting African-Americans and other minorities to the Party is not that there are racists in the party, but that there aren't enough high-profile Republicans who are working on Civil Rights or other minority issues.

Of course, HD will probably say something stupid now in response to my post (just like he did this last time and every other time he's ever posted anything on these boards.) So be ready for it, people.

------------------
    HoustonSportsBoard.com

6. hetero doxy

hetero doxy Member

achebe-

thanks. i confused the datep with the civil rights act.

btw, i consider it just as "mean" to spout knowingly ignorant drivel like paige always does in here, debasing blacks without cause like his boy rush limbaugh tells him to. when george wallace ran for president in 1968, the dixiecrats found their representation, and nixon won as a result. the blacks never voted for dixiecrats when they had a choice.

------------------

7. mrpaige

And there it is. I was right. The stupid post from HD didn't take but a few seconds to appear.

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh. I don't care for him at all. The only talk radio I listen to is The Ticket here in Dallas.

But I guess I should take it as a compliment that the king of ignorant drivel disagrees with me.

I sure don't see where I debased Blacks. I merely said that there has to be some other explanation for Blacks voting in large part for the Democratic Party than the fact that there are some racists in the Republican Party. There were racists in the Democratic Party during the time when the African-Americans were beginning to vote for Democrats in large numbers (all over the country), yet that didn't stop African-Americans from voting for that Party. Yes, they voted against the specific racists when they could, but the Party itself was embraced by African-Americans.

The point being that it can't simply be that because there are some racists in the Republican Party, African Americans won't vote for the Party. I think it's because there aren't enough of the high-profile offsetting Republicans who support Civil Rights and other minority issues that causes African-Americans to shy away from the Republican Party.

------------------
    HoustonSportsBoard.com

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited September 10, 2000).]

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

mrpaige: I agree that the democrats in the 60's were similar to the republicans of today in that there were racists in the party but other party members made up for it.

The difference today between the two parties is similar to the problems in the single democratic party of the 60's. In this instance, the democrats simply offer a more inviting environment than the republcians. Add to that the fact that republicans are generally the party of big business and minorities make up the vast majority of poor people in the US or those who work for businesses rather than own them, and the differences deepen.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

hetero doxy:

are you just some character like Sean Hannity? Do you really believe the stuff you post? I have never read any derogatory comments by mrpaige.

mrpaige:

Was Fritz Hollings a racist too? Strom Thurmond left the democratic party over the issue of Civil Rights. I would find it interesting to know Fritz's history during the '60s immediately after his governorship. I am starting to do some research now, but his official bio seems to leave out racist accusations for some reason. [​IMG]

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other

10. mrpaige

I don't know that Fritz Hollings was truly a racist, but he was Governor of South Carolina when the Confederate Flag was raised above the statehouse in SC. Whatever his reasons for approving that, it wasn't sending a good signal to the African-Americans of the nation.

Of course, it may simply have been something so he coudl keep getting elected rather than something he truly believed in.

------------------
    HoustonSportsBoard.com

11. mrpaige

I agree with you on all of this. If the Republicans truly want minority voters to vote for the Party in large numbers, they're going to have to do something to make the Party more attractive to minorities. Part of that would just be having the Party making an effort to show where they do support issues that would help minorities (and showing how and being truthful about it), but the bulk of it would take changing the platform of the Party. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen, though.

------------------
    HoustonSportsBoard.com

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Republicans aren't exactly the party of the long-haired musicians either which tends to leave me out.

[​IMG]

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com