1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush showing himself as a coward?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Achebe, Sep 4, 2000.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Ahhhh... it's debate time. A group of candidates ready to field questions on pertinent issues. It's great for the candidates to be able to show themselves to the electorate. It's great for the electorate to take part in the democratic process, and judge the preparedness of the candidates.

Why then is Bush trying to squash the process?

A cable channel debate (CNN's "Larry King Live")? What? A prime time show on all channels would hit 20-40% of the populace. A cable channel show would hit about 2%.

A debate on "Meet the Press"? Yeah, ABC and CBS will carry NBC's show. Huh?

Why?

Is Bush afraid of the robot? Is this election on character or the issues? I imagine it's both, and that Bush should try to find someone that can play his character that knows the issues. [​IMG]

------------------

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I thought the election was about the character of the issues.

3. Achebe

Good point CKidd. How is your mom's kitty doing?

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't really understand his strategy to be honest. It just seems odd to limit it to one network. How does that make it better or easier?

I don't really care for either candidate, but if Bush really wanted to dodge the debates, why go about it this way? I'm just wondering what is behind all the maneuvering.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just read the Chron article and now I think I understand. By doing "debates" with guys like Tim Russert and Larry King (?), Bush can warm up in a format where they allow the type of rambling for which he is so famous. Then, he can do a final "structured" debate and, even if he sucks, there will only be one.

I think what is most telling is that when the Commision on Presidential Debates suggested that representatives from both sides sit down and discuss the matter, Bush's campaign chairman Don Evans said, "This is our final answer. This is it."

That is VERY weak. I understand dodging something that seems pointless, but debates have been a part of presidential elections for decades. They are a part of how we determine what the issues are and how well each candidate understands them and can communicate his points.

That is exactly the reason why Buchanan and Nader should be involved. We have a right to see them right alongside the other two and make the decision for ourselves.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

6. Achebe

In Jay Severin's article Ignorance is bliss, actually titled 'Bush blinks', the republican commentator points out that Bush's advisors have quantified the risks of sitting out the debates altogether.

Amazing. Hopefully the people are watching.

------------------
    The Year 2000 debates:

Commentator: "For the first question of the year 2000 debates, I ask Governor Bush what he sees as his vision for America"

Bush: "Uhhh... Regis, I'd like to use my first lifeline."

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited September 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited September 04, 2000).]

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I just watched Dubya say that this (his debate format) is how it's going to be, and he wants to see Gore refuse after promising the public that he would debate on Larry King and Meet the Press.

Whatever, Bush is so damn arrogant it makes me sick. It's his way or no way.

They should just agree to do both formats. Bush can try and look better on CNN and NBC, and Gore can rip him a new one on all networks.

[​IMG]

Bush is just probably scared of being held "hostile" by Gore's relentless attacks on his sketchy tax cut plans (Gore's aren't much better either, if at all. That's a subject for another thread though).

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com