1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cell Phone Service In Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 31, 2000.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hi, I have a question...can anyone recommend a good wireless package (cell phone + minutes) for the Houston area? Does anyone have a link to one? I want to get one for my girlfriend. She doesn't need too many minutes. Thanks.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Just say no to Nextel. Their connection SUCKS! I have Houston Cellular and its alright. Sprint has the best connection and deals. Try www.sprint.com or www.houstoncellular.com

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I love my Sprint service. It's great.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks guys...I just can't find it from the Sprint homepage. Do you have any link for a package? Thanks again.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sprint PCS's homepage is www.sprintpcs.com.

You may also want to run over to www.decide.com and check out their ratings. They do signal strength tests from different places around town for each of the major cell phone companies. I'd still visit the individual sites for pricing info, too, though.

BTW, I thinkHouston Cellular used to be a "daughter" company of AT&T Wireless, so they may be basically the same service, but don't quote me on that. [​IMG]

AT&T Wirless : www.attws.com

Sprint PCS : www.sprintpcs.com

Verizon(formerly Primeco) : www.verizonwireless.com

Nextel : www.nextel.com

Southwestern Bell : www.swbellwireless.com

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited September 01, 2000).]

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks so much. I should have known about that decide.com-site...I finally found the sprintpcs.com and signed up for a 29.99 plan with 200 minutes + 200 off-peak minutes because I signed her up for a year. I guess that is more or less okay, since you said Sprint is not so bad. I just wish calls to Germany were included, but I guess not [​IMG]. Again, thanks for your help.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Houston Cellular does belong to AT&T. And I dont know about calls being free to Germany, but in about 7-8 years calls to the entire Northern America should be free. I forgot where I read it, but calls in the entire continent should count as local calls in about that time frame.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I second that emotion. Sprint PCS is definitely the way to go.

------------------
    Bring It!!

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

buy your Sprint PCS phone from Radio Shack. You get a mail in rebate and this really cool rate plan. 200 anytime and 800 off-peak minutes for like 30 (I think) My sister and my cousin both have this plan, but I couldn't get in on the deal because I got my phone from a Sprint PCS store when they came to my college. But then again, I did get my new phone for like 10 bucks... just thought y'all might want to know about the Radio Shack promo....

------------------

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

What timing!!

I was planning on checking out some cell phone deals this weekend. Thanks for the pointers!

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

11. Bobby

Bobby Member

A couple of points about cell phones:

1. The U.S. should adopt the same kind of pricing scheme that is used in many other countries, i.e. the originator pays for the call, not the receiver.

2. There ought to be a law, or it should be enforced if there are any, about the use of cell phones while driving. I can't count the number of near accidents I've avoided, or seen, because the driver of the other car wasn't paying attention since he was on the phone.

3. Ditto regarding the use of cell phones in public places, especially restaurants, theatres, etc. (why do people feel they have to amplify their voices in a cell phone conversation - it's is an ego thing to impress those around them or is their connection that bad?).

Cell phones have been a blessing, but they've also been a curse. Yes, the convenience is great. But the intrusion, not only of the privacy of people nearby, but also into the privacy of our personal lives is bothersome. Now your boss, co-worker, vendor, family members, friends, feel they can call you anytime (after all, they're not paying for the call) and get really pissy when you don't answer.

Apologize for preaching, but these issues have been bothering me for some time.

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!