1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Gore's big Smooch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc sports, Aug 21, 2000.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

[​IMG]
    ‘I was just overcome by the emotion that I was feeling with all of the people cheering.’ - AL GORE

Kiss was just a kiss, Gore says
    Candidate insists long smooch was not a bid for new image

Aug. 21 — It was just a kiss. That’s the word from Al Gore, who insisted Monday on NBC’s “Today” show that his now famous smooch with his wife, Tipper Gore, at last week’s Democratic National Convention was spontaneous and not an attempt at reshaping his image.

“YOU REALLY planted one on Mrs. Gore. What were you thinking?” Matt Lauer asked Gore on “Today.”

“It was completely spontaneous,” the vice president said. “I think you can tell from watching it, it was completely spontaneous. I was just overcome by the emotion that I was feeling with all of the people cheering,” Gore said on ABC’s “Good Morning America. “It was kind of an outpouring there that just moved me to express my love for Tipper.”

On CBS’ “The Early Show,” the presidential nominee denied the unabashed public show of affection was an attempt to cast off an image that some find “wooden.” “I didn’t plan that out in advance,” Gore said. He said the public talk about the kiss has surprised him. “Somebody said, ‘Are you trying to send a message.’ I said, ‘Actually, I was trying to send a message to Tipper.”’

What do you think? Was this little exhibition of tonsil hockey staged? Will this do anything for his image? Is it good to have a candidate turned on by people cheering?

I'm just glad Mr. Liebermann didn't introduce him!!!

(Disclaimer -- I thought this was an amusing story. It is not my intent to start a debate on capitalism, prejudice, hot women, communism, or Jeff's e-mail.)

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't know if it was staged or not, but I can tell you this, I'm hoping that a cat fight breaks out between Gore's daughters and Bush's daughters. That could get everybody a little turned on.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited August 21, 2000).]

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't let that tape of the kiss get out, Tipper may try to censor it.

------------------
    "All these white guys running onstage making believe they're in gangs...Gangs would chew 'em up and spit them out. They'd put peas and carrots alongside them. 'Yo wussup! My name is Eminem.' Really? I'd like to see you walk down the streets alone in Harlem at night and see where that Eminem stuff gets you." - Gene Simmons

Metal Sludge

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Gore was hours late for his stop here on Saturday night and the crowd was told that he and Tipper were having some, um, "quiet time" on the boat to celebrate her birthday. I wonder how good campaign sex is?

------------------

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I thought the idea was to distinguish himself from Clinton?

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year :(

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Oops, my bad... Just noticed that he's kissing his wife. [​IMG]

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year :(

7. dc sports

dc sports Member

Ha! Didn't Clinton get with Gennifer Flowers on a boat during one of his campaigns? Tipper's a smart lady though. IF he wins, I bet she doesn't go trotting off to Africa leaving him alone with the interns.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Gary Hart?

------------------

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I thought he was about to break her two front teeth w/ that impact. I doubt it was staged (at least on her behalf).

I was just glad that he didn't just walk up to her, hold her head steady... and lick her from chin to eyebrows.

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So Freak, I guess you're also against the movie rating system?

------------------
    "I'll drop kick those f*ckin' dogs if they come anywhere near me."

visit www.swirve.com

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm against the movie rating system, mostly because the rules aren't universally applied. Independent fils have to meet a higher standard than studio pictures. And extreme silliness often accompanies some decisions by the MPAA (like when the MPAA said the trailer for "Six Degrees of Separation" had to be cut because it had nudity in it. The nudity was the hand of man touching the hand of God from the Sistine Chapel, but the MPAA wanted it cut.)

And the system isn't descriptive enough. Something could be rated a certain rating for many reasons: language, nudity, sexual situations, violence, etc. There are times when the specifics of why a movie is rated the way it is becomes important to me.

Of course, I am not against a ratings system in theory. It's the application I am against.

The record label warnings are pretty well useless, though. It just says Parental Advisory and gives me no way to know how strong the lyrics are or what they pertain to. If there is going to be a warning, it needs to be more descriptive and probably have a graduated scale (like the MPAA does with movie ratings, or like they do on TV with the expanded ratings system that no one pays any attention to.)

------------------

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree with you mrpaige. My point was that everyone calls what Tipper fought for censorship, when in reality it's less strict than the ratings system.

------------------
    "I'll drop kick those f*ckin' dogs if they come anywhere near me."

visit www.swirve.com