1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Possible Return of Mike Hampton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKMAN, Aug 6, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Dream read this about the Braves. Tell me they don't remind you of the Rockets. This is the main reason I cheer for them most. My mom is a diehard Bravefan also. But she liked them back in the day because she had a crush on Dale Murphy! My dad is a Dodger fan. I remember he didn't appreciate that too much. He just reminded her who was winning championships in the 80's and that took care of that.
    http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/sports/braves/system0808.html

You know what? The Mets don't need A-Rod. They need pitching. They should try and get it because Hampton won't be there. The only reason A-Rod wants to be on the Mets is because his best friend Jeter is on the Yankees and they want to market themselves and build a rivalry to make the big bucks even bigger. The Mets already have Bourdick and Ray OrdoƱez.

By the way, if you think back, the Braves were one pitch away from winning the 1991 and 1996 World Series. Sometimes its better to be luckier than good. Maybe we will catch some breaks this year. Who knows.
    ------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 09, 2000).]

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Dream, I was just kidding. BUT, Maddux is 34, Glavine is 33, Smoltz is 34. They have Millwood who is 25 and they just traded their best pitching prospect for BJ Surhoff.

From what I hear, the Braves WERE interested in A-Rod, but they have this 19 year old phenom(Furcal) who is their shortstop now of the future and leadoff deluxe.

So, they want to get Hampton and Mussina, 27 and 30 respectively. And who knows about Smoltz coming back?

We are desperate for pitching. [​IMG]

------------------

3. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Almu,
    Thanks for sharing that article. It was awesome.

Good management, good leadership and good players = a winning team with a winning attitude.

PS- My mom was also a big Dale Murphy fan! I remember taking road trips with the family to see the Braves play. This was back in the days when the Braves sucked. Remember the 80's! Remember Bruce Benadict, Glenn Hubbard, Rafiel Ramerez, and Jerry Royster. [​IMG]

How times have changed.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Dream,

How about the marathon game in 1984(don't quote me on that)where the pitcher Bob Camp hit a homerun in the bottom of the 18th inning after a 4 hour rain delay? The game ended at 3 in the morning!! That was awesome. I use to try and pitch like Gene Garber. I fell on my butt each and every time!

------------------