1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pacers-Pistons: The Brawl

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Molotov Cocktail, Nov 19, 2004.

1. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

With all the interracial relationships, and the resulting offspring, what will it matter in the near future? We're just trying to identify someone, not insult them.
    Mexican isn't necessarily a correct term for a hispanic, but it's not meant in a derrogatory way.

2. ChucklesG

ChucklesG Member

Beer throwing and punching are 2 entirely different situations, the first is a misdemeanor, it's assult but the chances of it causing bodily harm are slim. You have a right to defend yourself if you are in danger, if someone is taking a swing at you, you have the right to hit them or tackle them to avoid being injured, however hitting a person for throwing beer doesn't fall into the same category.Artest SHOULD have pointed the guy out to security and the fan would have been taken out.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well THANK GOD you cleared that up for me Sam. Tell me... in your spare time do you also lecture preschool children on the dangers of calling someone by the incorrect ethnicity? Thanks for your reponse though, and best of luck to you and pgabs on your Winnebago campaign going to all taco bells across the country, protesting until they change Mexi-Melt to Latino-Melt.

awwwww, is somebody using a condescending tone back at widdle sammy... ?

:)

LOL, jk i love you dude. ggl. call me. ;)

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It has been for a while. Latinos and Hispanics are not necessarily Mexican. The assumption that they are is what is derogatory. A person from Mexico is a Mexican.

I didn't know any better at one time too. I found this out about ten years ago. I remember the day. It was at my little brother's baseball game and someone in the stands next to us kept saying "that Mexican kid" about one of my brothers teammates. His mom was in the stands next to us too and was quite pissed about it and commented about it to my family since we are good friends.

So now you know. Hopefully it will save you some future embarrassment. It did me.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Someone wasn't following the conversation: Do you know what "you two" means? Not surprising since reading posts (see "moderates") hasn't been your strong point the last few days.

Both quotes used perfectly in context. McGrady-Francis a no-brainer and you admit to sometimes being an a-hole here. It didn't take you admitting it though for us to know.

Your "rolleyes" at everyone act is very old here.

6. acizlan

acizlan Member

If i am artest I'll sue that fan right now, for whatever reason

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As far as Bigtexx is concerned,

Forgive me if I think some of his posts have a racial bent to them but I’ve seen him say classic statements such as,

He didn’t think the black students at Rice could handle the work

His mom was harassed by her black co-workers

That 90% of people don’t know that Tiger Woods is of mixed race because the media wants you to know he’s black

and so forth and so on

So if that’s the guy you want to defend on race relations that fine with me.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Attention, mo, NJRocket, others who have taken me to task for denouncing the use of Mexican as inherently offensive.

See that little vertical bar on your browser? Scroll up, and you'll find this:

So, mo, what's your little peepants about with me today? Too lazy to read? drunk? or did you make some ignorant statement in the past that I busted you on and just couldn't resist regardless cuz I just make you sooo mad sometimes?

Oh, never mind, don't tell me. Let's just drop it. You go back to the Hangout form and post random "Simpsons" lines at opportune moments and I'll do whatever it is that I do and we can forget this ever happened. Enjoy.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

LOL... he is still trying to bait me, isn't that cute. I love you Sammy. Wanna make out? :) :p

10. SamFisher

hA, Ha IS tHAT sOMEtHing BaRNEY SAID aT MoestaverN?:D :D

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

They are going to see themselves getting owned all the way to the bank.

Why can't they just be a kid and guy?
    Why are they called africanize killer bees/ Why not killer bees?

P.S.
    If that was a mexican dude Artest would have gotten drop.

I can say that cuz I'm of Mexican decent.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

saying mexican isnt racist, unless there is malice behind it.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

judging by that statement...you might just be Artest

14. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I agree.

15. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

First of all People are calling him the mexican guy or doing so as a general way of describing him. They are not claiming or delaring for an absolute FACT that he is mexican, just that its the best guess at the moment. It is not a big deal... its being done benignly in an internet forum. And since this is a relatively laxed and nonserious discussion forum, one wouldnt think they had to be so serious and cautious as to preface their assumptions with terms such as "allege, to the best of my knowledge, etc" Or do you really think those who described him as mexican Needed to instead say, "That alledge Mexican guy got clocked!!! Or that guy who I personally think looks mexican got clocked!!!
    And unless it has been shown that the guy is not Mexican, calling him mexican or describing him as such IS NOT INACCURATE, but rather unproven.

#495 room4rentsf, Nov 20, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if maxwell got 10 games for charging and attacking a fan, why should artest get much more? it was the same thing, except in this case artest actually got hit with something and had even more reason. maybe that cancels out with past behavior. i think he'll get about 12 games. kicking him out of the league? yeah right. and yeah right the NBAPA would allow that.

stephen jackson, for being heated in the original fight and going crazy in the fan fight, should get about 8. not as much as artest because he was only in the stands to protect and defend artest. but still, he's gonna get hit hard.

o'neal. i think he'll get about 5 b/c the punch was just so hard but he wasn't just randomly sucker punching a guy. that guy was out there with his friend going after artest. artest got the first, o'neal got the second. all o'neal knows is he's standing across the court and sees some people going after artest on the sideline and so he gets over there to defend artest. he hit one of the guys messing with artest. it wasn't like he just picked out a fan for target practice. maybe the guy didn't deserve the severity of the punch, but o'neal didn't have time to figure out how hard the punch was going to be. he was just making sure the guy was off of artest.

wallace. how anyone can think he deserves more than 3 games is beyond me. he shoved artest, there's one or 2. then he kept going after him and didn't leave him alone. another 1 tacked on. just because the largest fan/player brawl in nba history broke out, you can't blame him for that. it's not like he anticipated it. even if he sort of got the crowd into it, there's still nothing in his mind that this would be the result. 3 games.

as for the fans. the first guy shouldn't be able to get much out of artest at all. all artest did was grab his head and pin him for about a second. he even said artest got off him and went after other people pretty quickly. that may be b/c he had to and would have pummeled the guy but what he actually did to the guy was pretty mild.

the guy who came in to throw his beer on artest and the original guy and got clocked by stephen jackson got what he deserved. he thought he was big throwing beer on an nba player, he just happened to miss the nba player's teammate standing right there. he got his asswhooping like he deserved.

the guy who went after artest on the sideline. he clearly wanted something to do with artest. right up until he realized artest was bout it also. the reason he didn't throw a punch was that he was too busy pissing his pants once he realized it was him and artest 1 on 1.

and i already talked about the guy o'neal layed out. he came on the court with his idiot friend and went after artest. all o'neal knew was some people were going after artest and he went to help. and well, he helped. that guy shouldn't be able to press any charges or sue. it was his fault he was two steps on the court in the middle of a brawl going after the principal participant in the brawl.

17. SamFisher

It's only the best guess if you're not a very good guesser. Detroit itself is something like 20-30% Middle Eastern, as compared to 5% hispanic, of which even fewer of them are Mexican. Still think it's the "best guess"?

I don't want them to call him an "alleged" mexican; there's no reason to call him Mexican at all, t's inaccurate, because its unproven. There is in fact no proof that he is Mexican as opposed to one of a hundred other national origins. It's the exact same thing as me calling hte guy who got punched by Artest "the Romanian dude" Of course, I would never think to do that, nor would anybody else. It's inaccurate, because it is unproven, and not really supported by anything but superficiality - "hey, eastern europeans have light skin and they settle in the midwest, so he must be Romanian!"

how about we just call him the "guy that got punched by O'neal?"... just like we call the other guy the "guy that got punched by Artest?" instead of assigning some bogus national origin on him for no apparent reason?

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

probably started by some detroit fan.

and that site is dumb.

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The guy on the floor did not get punched by Artest. He was the guy that tried to break up the first confrontation.

Look carefully at the vid and you'll see a guy with a Blue Shirt holding FAT guy 1 back IN THE BACKGROUND; FAT GUY 2 is ON THE FLOOR with another Blue Shirt Guy trying to help him up... It went like this...

FAT GUY 1, confronted Artest after he came down from the stands. Artest punched him because FAT GUY 1 faced-him up (like a dual!) FAT guy 2 (the one on the floor) comes rushing in and wrapped up Artest. FAT GUY 2 was pushed to the floor by one of the Pacer staff (guy in GREY suit) and punched. FAT GUY 1 is being held back in the above video. FAT GUY 2 is being helped up from the floor with a confused look on his face mubbeling something like, "Why did you punch me, GREY SUIT GUY? I was tring to break it up!" As FAT GUY 2 tries to stand up, O'Neal gives a running punch to FAT GUY 2's jaw knocking him on the floor again. O'Neal, thinking that it was FAT guy 1 (the one that originally confronted Artest).

O'Neal got confused in the melee. I guess it easy to confuse FAT GUY 1 from FAT GUY 2.

#500 DavidS, Nov 20, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2004