1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Knicks @ Rockets 11/18/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 17, 2004.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Man, I never seen Barkley was pissed off at one play as TNT commentator.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I thought we played good ball for 3 quaters. Very smooth. Shouldnt sat Yao and Tmac for so long. Down the strech, both Yao and Tmac made mental mistakes leading turnovers and fast breaks pts by the Knicks. Still we could've won it.

Shiat, forget it. I feel really BAD right now.:eek:

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I actually enjoyed the game. When the last shot went up I just kind of laughed. It's not like the Knicks won the championship or anything. They're still the Knicks and we still have one of the up and coming teams in the league. Look, we gutted our team for an amazing one two combo who are getting more and more fun to watch by the game. So what if the popsicle sticks and gum we patched the team with aren't playing ideal roles? Yao is being more aggressive, making his move quickly and early after catching, yes, CATCHING the ball. Think of all the wide open shots we're getting and missing. We need better shooters. Think of all the lose balls we're not getting because our 3 and 4 spots are weak rebounders. I think we'll start pushing the ball more for easy points once we get used to playing together. These things will improve in time, of this I'm certain.

I don't dislike Van Gundy, but I'm positive that eventually if we don't win a title (give it a couple of years), Gundy will be gone and Phil Jackson will be in. The guy's too much of an oppurtunist.

4. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

When Knicks called a timeout after TMac missed a easy layup, I said to my wife that I had bad feeling of the end. Unfotunately, it came true that NY made a lucky 3! I'd better not watch the game live since I think it might be my fault for the Rockets' loss :confused:

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

2.9 sec is a lot of time in NBA for one shot. D.Fish could shoot probably 4 times over 3 seconds and score 10 pts. So it's not like this was so unbelievable. It happens to every team, I mean every team.
    My hear sank when I saw Jammal Crowford caught the ball wide open.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

He screwed it up. He should've been jumping up and down to bother the passer. He was just standing there watching. :mad:

7. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

A very neat way is use gamechannel on yahoo. Just choose the rox game, there is shot chart. On top there are links for each quarter. Just click on that you'll get shot chart and # of shots each player took in that quarter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/gamechannel

8. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

AAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHHHH! :mad:

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

All the talks about going inside out and drawing doubleteam so we can kill the other teams with wideopen shots is only a pipe dream if no one on this team can hit the uncontested three pointers.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Knicks role players played better than ours.
    Is Kurt Thomas really that good? No.
    He was completely wide open the whole game.

Our supporting cast sucks now. Thats life. The question is what are we going to do about it? We seriously need a trade before the season starts to tank.

Quit hating on Van Gundy, last year, the same coach led the Rockets to one of the best records and a playoff post. Obviously the role player and imbalance of skill is a major factor.

you can say im being 'negative' but guess what? we are 2 games UNDER 500. We lost to the Knicks and the Hawks.

We made Royal Ivey look like Oscar Robertson and Kurt Thomas like Larry Bird.

11. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

These games are getting so much harder to watch day after day. There's like 5-7 minutes of good rocket basketball. There's movement and crisp passes. The rest is pretty much a struggle. There's no flow on offense or defense. Bottom line, they look horrible out there, I mean it's sad.

Van Gundy is gonna have to come up with something and quick because his old school crap isn't working in today's NBA. There's been so many 100+ point games already. For christ's sakes, he's made T-Mac no longer fun to watch.:mad: :mad:

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Yeah but will you still be in Law School or will you be a Judge when they are replaced and the team starts winning consistently?

I haven't been on JVG's case because I don't see that many games, but I do know this: were Phil Jackson the coach, we would easily find the role players needed to get this team to the top. Everybody wants rings-- especially the guys not making the HUGE money and going to All-Star games.

Jackson would be like the Pied Piper...

This loss was due to Kurt Thomas' unbelievable night and Crawford's unbelievable luck-- a front bank shot from 28 feet! From the wing that's a shot that misses the back iron by a foot.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was hard. I knew after tmacs last shot attempt that we were going to lose. I don't know how or why, I could just feel it. Never-the-less I was very depressed after the shot went in.

This is the first time I've been able to even force myself to look in this forum. I hope that we turn it around fast.

I'm really disappointed in the floor leadership. We can have great talent and potential, but unless either Yao, or Tmac step up and take charge of the team as a leader we won't be doing anything special this year.

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was the first game I've been able to see this season. My thoughts-

McGrady was pretty impressive. His explosiveness to basket was something to see and his overall shooting consistency and lack of turnovers (except that one at the end) was very encouraging.

As much as I hate to admit it because I really like Yao and I blamed his problems last year on Steve and Cat's inability/refusal to get him the ball early and deep, I have to face up to the fact that he is too passive. Why does he settle for positioning so far from the basket? I still think he is a very good player with great potential and we should build the team around him.

What happened to Jim Jackson? Last year he was a rock.

All that said, I'm still very optimistic for this year. The level of panic and negativity around here after just 10 games is way out of control.

#494 gifford1967, Nov 19, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. prlen

prlen Member

I got the same feeling!
    We shouldn't always repeat the same old story!

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It's not so much panicking but we should not be losing to teams like Atlanta and New York. Even teams that have less talent than us beat those teams and we should be no different. These are just tough losses to swallow but we'll figure a way out soon I'm sure. Well we'd better or else there will be hell to pay and my guess is JVG would be the first to go.

18. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

crappppppppp this wasn't suppose to happen :(

19. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

Its not out of control. All the criticism is definitely warranted. It doesn't matter when you have 3 new players come into a new system. Especially when the system is so basic. There's no complexity in JVG's offense. Maybe his defensive schemes are somewhat difficult but at the end of the day the bottom line is its still just basketball. Once you get on the court, you play. The coach has some bearing but you ultimately as the player control who wins and who loses the game. And tonight, it was the players that lost the game, just exemplified by the idiocy of the coach.

Lastly, how can you be optimistic about the year. Can't you see how we're playing? Its frustrating. We have 2 3rd string PG's playing 48 minutes and we have 2 PF's of the same mold who just isn't the right fit to play alongside Yao. Plus we have a coach who's too stubborn to play anybody outside of who he trusts.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine if Barkley saw the Hawks game.