1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin 11pts, 3 blks, 2 ast in his first game for Minn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

The Minnesota paper is calling this the "feel good story of the season."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/5081662.html

:mad:

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't have a clue what your problem is with Spoon. He has played damn good since he arrived in Houston and he played damn good last night. He has sure hands, gets rebounds, hustles and can put the ball in the basket. He did all of those last night in his limited play.

3. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I wish E.G. was still a rocket. I think we gave up on the dude too quick. He is just a young dude and everone makes mistakes.

4. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Im kind of glad everything happened the way it did. At least we dont have an overpaid Richard Jefferson on our team. And who knows, if our team would have been better with jefferson on our team, maybe we would have won more games and never would have drafted Yao Ming. You guys are all too bitter about the 3 first round draft picks. Do you guys even remember who the other 2 picks were? Scrubs... Jason Collins and i think Brandon Armstrong or Anderson or something. Basically, be content that we have Yao and McGrady. It wasnt meant to be. It would have been nice if Griffin had his head on straight...

eyhab

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no doubt crash...

most around here seem to crap on Spoon cause he is big(fat) and they think he is overpaid and useless...

that just tells me they dont watch closely when he is onthe court.

he is possibly the best offensive rebounder on the team...knows how to bang in the paint to put the ball back up after a board...and in general does all the little things you want from one of your backups..

and yet...ppl still talk crap about him.

try paying closer attention to what the team expects from him, and what he actually does on the court...he is a decent role player who deserves our respect.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Amen! I have had my fill of all of these folks crying "oh Pooooor Edddieee!!!!". PT Barnum lives on in their heads that's for sure. Nothing, N O T H I N G I've seen from him then and NOW even remotely begins to justify using 3 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS to get him. He was given EVERY chance to make it here and he just pi**ed it all away. He's only trying now because he washed out of the league and had the opportunity to see life as we know it. The thought of actually working for a living appears to have scared him straight...for now.

Whatever he does from now on is irrelevant because he wasn't going to do it here no matter how many chances he got or how much he was coddled by the Rockets. I'd much rather win or lose with guys who I can count on to be there through thick or thin and that ain't EG. At the end of the day he's just another marginal NBA talent looking for a paycheck. Now if it's NBA projects that these people want to care about, word is that Curry is available from the Bulls and he's named Eddie also.

7. Vienna Calling

What an ass.

F*UCK EGGIE !!!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Props to Eddie Griffin. I'm glad he's found a good support group to keep him on the right path. As long as he keeps depression at bay, I think he'll be able to become a premier forward in the NBA. Unfortunately, his biggest supporter plays the same position he does. He may have to risk going to another situation just to be a starter.

It is also very good news for Minn which has been suffering for years because of the Brandon injury, the Marbury defection, and the punishment for the Joe Smith fiasco. They finally get a break going their way, picking up a lottery player for nothing.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You make fair points DoD.

10. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

I wish EG the worst & every imaginable thing happen to him.

I wish he has another mental breakdown.

I wish him getting caught with mar1juana this year.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

LESS FILLING!

12. mtlkf

mtlkf Rookie

When EG will get punching in the face by KG?:rolleyes:

13. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

The Rockets had no obligation to put up with Eddie longer than they did, and by all accounts he's in much more need of support and pesonal investment than other players--with no guarantees.

Yet, it's proven every day that people kick others when they're down. Well and good if you don't want Eddie to play here--I wouldn't think he's a sure thing and would be extremely wary--but to trash him with all his problems shows how far removed most of you are from the type of environment he had to raise himself in.

Reality is that life is somewhere in between the extremes of people having no personal responsiblity to people having no excuses. Sure, he's blowing his chance that we would dream about having (dream about dreaming having!), but he also sounds severely screwed up, but trying. Ignore him, disparage his wasted opportunities. But don't wish him hate. You're part of the problem if you do.

14. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

I don't know if the Rockets really miss him right now, but I know the Nets could really use him right about now

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I feel these posts are worth emphasizing, along with JV's observation about having a good support group.

I'm bitter, along with most of the other fans, and I can't say I want Eddie to succeed.

But I think pgabriel's correct in that Eddie was in no way blaming his teammates for his problems. Two things that anyone like Eddie with alcohol/substance abuse and other serious emotional problems have to realize is 1) that they have a problem, and 2) that they're highly unlikely to fix it by themselves.

He said "everyone is responsible for their own actions." I don't think he meant it as a qualifier. But environment does make a difference when you have a problem, and Eddie recognizes that now. When asked to compare the environment in Houston to the environment in Minnesota, Eddie said that the environment in Minnesota has been better for him because of the support from veterans. But his saying that Minnesota's been better for him isn't a slight on Houston.

It's wrong to blame the organization for not having held on to Eddie, and it's wrong to absolve Eddie of his mistakes as some have already said. It doesn't matter what we had to give up for him - Sunk cost.

But it's legitimate to speculate whether the Rockets would be better off if they had tried to keep helping him deal with his issues. I think given the risk involved that the answer is 'no,' but it is frustrating to watch Eddie play the 4 for another team when we could use his athleticism, rebounding, shot blocking, and shooting range here.

#95 Relativist, Nov 12, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Lastly, I'm with Jeff and others that having new Eddie Griffin threads every week with different people lamenting the exact same way over the loss of this guy is extremely tiresome and for me annoying because it still bothers me. But if we're to have such threads, I disagree that they belong in the Dish. We've always talked about ex-Rockets players in the GARM as long as I've been here. To me, it still makes sense to do so, even if I'm tired of hearing about this particular ex-Rocket.

17. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

As far as I am concerned, stupid decisions should be spoken about as long as they are relevant. Spoon could do all he wants with the hustle but the rockets lose the game last night because of their shortness and lack of length. In fact Deke would have been a much better fit in the 4th quarter. The combo of EG and KG will kill any combo we put out there and a Ming/EG combo or Deke/Eg combo would dominate all others. Especially with Cato gone, EG would have been on my list.

To Verseysux, yes a part of me is not a rocket fan. Yes a part of me is now a Magic fan and a Wolves fan. With LP that is easy but more importantly the play of the rocket players in Orlando have been special, exciting and successful. If you think I am going to blindly follow JVG and CD in their crap with a boat load of rejects, you are mistaken. Yes there is hustle and the team will do well but I am not going to deprive myself of those other options.