1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Eddie Griffin 11pts, 3 blks, 2 ast in his first game for Minn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I strongly dislike fickle fans.

:mad:

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This results, IMO, from the fact that his public persona masks what an ******* he actually was (repeatedly beating up his teammates/commiting various felonies/quitting on his team, etc). While we read the headlines, we never really were around when he was unloading his 9 mil at his girlfriend or beating up his teammates in the locker room or drunkenly assaulting random hotel patrons in New Jersey.

That combined with the fact that he is defined more by what he allegedly was supposed to have been -- see also Nachbar, Bosjan -- than what he actually was (on the court, he was a relatively unskilled tweener F who couldn't play the post, or defend and whos only virtue was as a shotblocker and a slightly above average three point shooter) tends to give him a free pass around here.

IMO, his potential was severely overestimated. Great for him if he puts his life back together and salvages a respectable career, but we gave him way more chances than he deserved given his history.

3. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

EG will try to prove tonight, what an asxxole!!!!!!

4. Yaowaming

Eddie, don't try to hard to prove, we all know you are good kids now!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

5. Yaowaming

seems like Griffin is key beating us today!!!!!

HOUSTON (AP) -- Kevin Garnett hit a jumper with 8.3 seconds left and finished one assist shy of a triple double, leading the Minnesota Timberwolves to a 96-91 win over the Houston Rockets on Thursday night.

Garnett had 20 points, 17 rebounds and nine assists, and Eddie Griffin made a key 3-pointer down the stretch against the team with which he began his troubled career, sending the Timberwolves past a Rockets team missing leading scorer Tracy McGrady.

McGrady missed his first game of the season with nagging hip and groin strains. He had said during Wednesday's practice that he might try to play, but instead he took a few shots during pregame warmups and later came back to the bench in a dark brown suit.

The Rockets really could've used him.

Yao Ming scored 19 of his 25 points in the second half and Maurice Taylor added 19, but Houston's perimeter players weren't able to replace McGrady's scoring punch.

Filling in for McGrady, third-year swingman Bostjan Nachbar scored 11 points in the first half but was shut out after that. Rockets guard Jim Jackson also started fast, scoring nine in the first two quarters but only four after the break.

Meanwhile, Garnett took over in the second half.

The NBA's reigning MVP controlled the boards, poked away passes into the post and even guarded the 7-foot-6 Yao at times in the fourth as Minnesota held off a late Rockets rally.

Early in the fourth, Yao spun around Ervin Johnson on the baseline and threw down a two-handed slam to give the Rockets a 76-73 lead after they had trailed by 13.

[B}But Garnett quickly answered with a jumper, and Griffin hit a free throw to tie it at 80 and a 3 to give Minnesota a lead it would never relinquish.[/B]

Griffin played against the Rockets for the first time since being released last season by the team that traded for him on the night of the 2001 draft. He missed last season while recovering from a slew of off-court problems but signed with the Timberwolves about a month ago and played in his first game on Tuesday.

After entering Thursday's game late in the first quarter, Griffin quickly knocked down a 15-foot jumper, drawing a chorus of boos from the crowd.

Griffin eventually quieted the fans, though, coming up with the kind of big plays Rockets fans thought the No. 7 overall pick would make when he came to Houston. He finished with 11 points and seven rebounds.

Notes

Taylor drew a few ooohs from the crowd late in the second quarter when he made Garnett tumble to the floor after a crossover dribble. Taylor then dished off to Nachbar for a 3. ... Nachbar finished a point shy of his career high of 12. ... Garnett needed one assist for his 15th career regular-season triple double.

Updated on Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 11:31 pm EST
    :mad: :mad:

6. Yaowaming

HOUSTON (AP) -- Eddie Griffin expected and embraced the boos, knowing he'd get a chance to quiet them all.

Griffin's 3-pointer late in the fourth quarter did the trick, and Kevin Garnett hit a jumper with 8.3 seconds left to lead the Minnesota Timberwolves over the Houston Rockets 96-91 Thursday night.

Garnett finished with 20 points, 17 rebounds and nine assists, and Griffin added 11 points and seven rebounds against the team with which he began his troubled career, sending the Timberwolves past a Rockets team missing leading scorer Tracy McGrady.

The boos ``just made me play harder,'' Griffin said, a smile forming on his lips. ``It's nice to show them that I can still play. It's more meaningful when it's against my old team.''

McGrady missed his first game of the season with nagging hip and groin strains. He said during Wednesday's practice that he might try to play, but instead he took a few shots during pregame warmups and later came back to the bench in a dark brown suit.

The Rockets really could've used him.

Yao Ming scored 19 of his 25 points in the second half and Maurice Taylor added 19, but Houston's perimeter players weren't able to replace McGrady's scoring punch.

Filling in for McGrady, third-year swingman Bostjan Nachbar scored 11 points in the first half but was shut out after that. Rockets guard Jim Jackson also started fast, scoring nine in the first two quarters but only four after the break.

``You can't play half the game well, and not the other half,'' Yao said. ``We had chances to come back, but we just couldn't quite get it done.''

Meanwhile, Garnett took over in the second half.

The NBA's reigning MVP controlled the boards, poked away passes into the post and even guarded the 7-foot-6 Yao at times in the fourth as Minnesota held off a late Rockets rally.

After Houston fell behind by 13 in the first half, Yao took control late, demanding the ball down low and making strong moves to the hoop to draw fouls. He took 16 free throws, making 13.

``He just played a little tired, but I thought he was very assertive offensively,'' Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. ``Getting to the free-throw line 16 times is a great accomplishment, could have probably been there a little more even.''

Early in the fourth, Yao spun around Ervin Johnson on the baseline and threw down a two-handed slam to give the Rockets a 76-73 lead.

But Garnett quickly answered with a jumper, and Griffin hit a free throw to tie it at 80 and a 3 to give Minnesota a lead it never relinquished.

Griffin played against the Rockets for the first time since being released last season by the team that traded for him on the night of the 2001 draft. He missed last season while recovering from a slew of off-court problems but signed with the Timberwolves about a month ago and played in his first game on Tuesday.

After entering Thursday's game late in the first quarter, Griffin quickly knocked down a 15-foot jumper, drawing a chorus of boos from the crowd.

``We just let him know it's a clean slate here,'' Garnett said. ``He's taking the opportunity and making it good. The crowd was getting on him a little. But they say when they boo you, they really love you.''

Griffin eventually quieted the fans, though, coming up with the kind of big plays Rockets fans thought the No. 7 overall pick would make when he came to Houston.

``Since this is only the second time he's played in 17 months, he did really a nice job,'' Minnesota coach Flip Saunders said. ``I thought he played well. He made some big shots and ... he worked defensively real well trying to front Yao.''

Leaning back in a chair after the game, Griffin looked more relaxed and peaceful than he ever did during his two turbulent seasons with the Rockets.

He even wondered if his career might have taken a different turn in Houston had he played with veterans such as Garnett and Sam Cassell earlier in his career.

``Everybody is responsible for their own actions,'' Griffin said. ``But I think that if there were more veterans, like these guys, that maybe it would have been a better situation.''

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

``Everybody is responsible for their own actions,'' Griffin said. ``But I think that if there were more veterans, like these guys, that maybe it would have been a better situation.''

F*** Griffin.

8. Yaowaming

Griffin betrayed rockets by doing stupid things, and now he's acting like poor kids and trying to prove he still can play.
    I really hate this guy from now on, we should keep him without pay!!!!!!!!!:mad:

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What a b****.

10. Yaowaming

He even wondered if his career might have taken a different turn in Houston had he played with veterans such as Garnett and Sam Cassell earlier in his career.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

oh, Griffin you are right, playing with veterans such as garnett and sam cassell will be different since Yao, Mobley, and Francis told you mar1juana is good for your health and want you to suck more while you playing with them. Yao also convinced you to keep weapon because he used to keep AK-47 while he played basketball in China. All the sudden, garnett and cassell changed you!!!!!!!!!!

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I was at the game last night and everyone in the stands booed as soon as he got the ball or his name was announced....i guess everyone in the city is nice and bitter.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If I see one more Eddie Griffin thread, I think I might have to slap the face of the one who started it, and that goes for anyone else who gives this pansy props.

13. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

a-focking-men, brother !

14. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

It is just the stupidity, short-sightedness and ignorance of JVG that kills me to no end. He is happy to go and get a boat load of rejects like Padgett, Spoon, and Ward and pass on top and rare talent like EG. Thanks god, the Kevins are more mature and sensitive. Last night the difference was clear. The MVP of the league is EG's biggest supporter. Similarly, if it was up to JVG, Boki would be gone, had it not been for the contract in place. T. Morris should be on this team instead of Padgett and Spoon. A part of me wish this team struggle this year.

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

So it's okay to take a shot at someone, as long as you can also shoot a jumpshot. Nice.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is incredibly weak.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was actually listening to the radio last night and Eddie was kind of led into answering the question that way. The interviewing asked him if playing on a team of veterans was helpful to him and specifically Garnett and Cassell. I guess he could have said that it was all his fault but he really wasn’t blaming his situation on last year’s team. He was just going where the question led him. To show you how these things are taken out of context, it doesn’t even mention that he was asked that question. The article gives the impression that he just said that off the cuff.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Then, a part of you just isn't a fan of the Rockets.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Eddie was troubled. Clearly did some wrong things and clearly suffered from depression. He got MEDICAL treatment and now has a good support system around him in Minny with some good veteran players. Griffin probably wont reach the expectations that were put on him but I see him being a key reserve for a team battling for a championship.

I know I am in the minority here and I am sure many will disagree with me but I still feel the Rockets gave up too soon on Griffin. They invested 3 1st rounders on him after all. The Wolves are reaping the rewards now. It was all about getting the proper MEDICAL attention that Griffin needed with his depression that he probably had since his brother died. The Rockets needed to show some patience on this and they didnt. Oh well.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think anyone really knows the entire story, so we really can't pass judgment on the Rockets' decision. None of us knows what happened behind closed doors. None of us knows how many chances EG was given. We only know of the things that hit the media - who's to say there wasn't more stuff that went on that we don't know about. Maybe the Rockets overlooked a lot of stuff we don't know about and gave him a myriad of chances. We also know that his problems were in the Houston area - maybe the Rockets did him a favor by letting him get away from here.

Sometimes it's more than just about basketball, but we seem to judge every positive and negative on basketball terms alone.