1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest's request for time off

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by isoman2kx, Nov 10, 2004.

1. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1920455

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest said Wednesday that he asked coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a soon-to-be released rap album, which led to his two-game benching.

Ron Artest
    Guard
    Indiana Pacers

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    3 24.3 7.0 2.3 .474 .850

Artest held a short news conference before Wednesday night's game against the Los Angeles Clippers, and in his usual ambiguous manner, tried to explain why he was benched.

Artest said that he asked Carlisle for as much as a month off to heal his aching body and recover from a particularly busy schedule.

"My body has been aching, I was going to take some time off and I said it the wrong way," Artest said. "Everything that happened wasn't too negative. I kind of surprised the team by wanting to take some games off, just to get back together, maybe stay home for a little bit, rest a little bit and come back."

He certainly surprised Carlisle, who said Tuesday that the situation, "compromised the integrity of the team. It's a private team matter, and I'm going to leave it at that."

"I don't know what that means," Artest said. "They probably expected a little more; expected me to play every game. Everybody's different. It's early in the season, so I feel like I could take some time off early and be ready for the long stretch."

So Carlisle benched Artest for Tuesday night's win over Minnesota and Wednesday night's game against the Clippers. It is not a suspension, and Artest will not lose any salary. He will return Friday at Philadelphia.

The 24-year-old is scheduled to release his debut rap album later this month and has been spending a lot of time making promotional appearances.

"I've been doing a little bit too much music, just needed the rest," Artest said. "I've still got my album coming out Nov. 23. After the album comes out I'm going to make sure all of my time is focused on winning a championship."

It's the latest in a long line of controversial situations for Artest, ranging from destroying television monitors at Madison Square Garden two years ago to missing the team flight to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals at Detroit last season.

Carlisle tried to downplay the issue before the game Wednesday night.

"This isn't the Cuban missile crisis. It's not life or death, it's not about national security," Carlisle said. "It's just simply about a group of guys needing to remind ourselves -- all of us -- about the sanctity of team, and what it's about."

The message appears to have landed with Artest.

"It was a good decision," Artest said. "I need the rest. There's a lot of things going on."

When asked if he thought the punishment fit the crime, Artest said, "There was no crime done. I think it helped out. I was tired.

"I was doing a lot. I was running around a lot and doing a whole bunch of stuff and I've also been working out, so I think I wore myself down physically, I wore myself down mentally. I was ready to take some time off, at least like a month off, but two games is enough."

With so many injuries, the last thing the Pacers needed was to lose another player, especially one of their two All-Stars.

The Pacers played with just nine players against the Clippers.

Nevertheless, Carlisle said he would not play Artest.

"We've spent a lot of time and a lot of money this summer traveling, working guys out, working toward a plan to win this year and that plan was built around team," Carlisle said. "It's important in this early stage that we're steadfast in that understanding."

absolutely amazing....

the sheer audacity alone.....

#1 isoman2kx, Nov 10, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

What a jackass!!!

He will no doubt be suspended IMO, and probably be traded before the all star break.

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

lmao, and people here, wanted and still want him on our team?

Xiki currently, I'm looking at your direction.

4. cheaprings

cheaprings Member

Can this guy even rap? I know he can ball, but rap, probably not.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

all i can say is....wtf???:confused: :confused: :confused: asked for time off????? you are getting paid millions of ****ing dollars you idiot!!!! jesus christ what world is this moron living in

6. artificial

artificial Member

No Artest to Houston 100%

I just heard it in ESPN. Artest asked a month off for promoting his rap album because he was mentally worn off. The album is due Nov23. No, I'm not joking. You think JVG wants a guy like that???? I don't think so.

7. artificial

artificial Member

The Pacers are screwed. ONeal is down again...

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Where is this Artest talk coming from all of sudden. Heard he was benched for a couple of games because of clashes with coach. I was never hyped about him. I dont think he is the kind ROLE players we want on this team.

9. artificial

artificial Member

He was benched because he was "mentally" worn off.

10. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Pacers just got royally screwed by Clippers !

102: 68

:eek:

11. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

worn out.

he asked for a month or two off hahahaha because he was mentally worn out from promoting his new rap album due out Nov. 23.

LOl

what a joke and to top it off JOneal goes down today they are in trouble.

J

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Guilty. Ouch, Artest, you are b'nan' nas!!!

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Grizz went nuts on LA too, we got lucky to catch them last night.

14. artificial

artificial Member

Isiah Thomas is laughing now...(You know Bird & Thomas)

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man....what an ass.

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

And there's a trade thread just below talking about bringing him HERE.

tsk tsk

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

A yellow submarine world.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

*Marks Nov. 23 on calendar*

19. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Rap album?

Reminds me of that Texans running back that decided to quit football to become a rapper.

Jeez, get a financial advisor.

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Nay! Get mental help!