1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

struggling and crawling to victory (by Yao Ming)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by junshao, Nov 10, 2004.

1. junshao

junshao Contributing Member

link: http://club.sports.sohu.com/yaoming/read_art_sub.php?b=yaoming1&a=354117&allchildnum=20

Translation:

struggling and crawling to victory (by Yao Ming)

New season has begun.
    The first three road games, I didn't play well. Rockets went 1-2, the only victory seems didn't
    have much to do with me, at least stats wise. Back to home court, we won against Kings in overtime,
    I delivered. After the game went home and surf the net for some articles about the games. Judging
    from the comments about the first three games it's like suddenly I'm a bench player, and will never
    be good again. After the Kings win, 180 degree turn around, all praises, like we can win the championship
    easily from now on.

In reality, I'm neither as worthless (as the first description) nor as powerful as to win a championship
    in a stroll. I sais in my book "Basketball is to compete, there are no easy way to win. One has to give everything,
    struggle and crawl for victory." It's like this in National team playing for Olympics, more so in NBA. The
    only thing I can do now is to give my all in every game, struggle and crawl to victory.

The purpose of sports competition is divide winning and loosing, but it's not "winner is king and looser is bandit".
    NBA had lots of players like Barkley, Ewing, Malone and Stockton without a ring. But they gave their
    everything trying for it, so they are hero as well, at least I think so. This is not saying I don't want a ring,
    I'm trying hard for it, so does the whole team.

I know a lot of fans and media care about about my performance, I thank you all. But I don't like unreasonable
    critism, and hate unrealistic praises. To me, your care for me is my motivation for struggling and crawling.

Lot's of ppl ask about my injury, it's not a big deal, but the arm bracelet is a pain. There is a protective
    steel plate inside, weighs 1kg, it's like shooting basketball wearing a sandbag. when in a match, all the sweat
    filling up inside is even more annoying. I still have to wear it though, coz my tendon only just healed. Luckliy I can
    say goodbye to this thing in 10 days.

I know everyone has unlimited expectation for T-MAC plus me combination, but we need time. Jordan waited 7 yrs b4
    creating the dynasty with his teammates. OK combination was formed in 1996, after 3 seasons, finally from yr 2000
    started Lakers dynasty. Maybe we will create a new era, we need time to gel, but I don't want to
    wait as long as Jordan.

2. brasss

brasss Member

wow...Yao does read this bbs!

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

That arm bracelet must be bothering him alot.

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

He may read this BBS, but he's probably referring to his myriad fans at home posting on Chinese-language basketball sites.

We'll root for you, Yao. Jia you! Jia you!

5. prlen

prlen Member

1kg=2.1 P!

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

:D
    You know in the Kungfu flicks, the hero usually gets trained with sandbags on the arms and legs, so that it could jump higher, punch faster.

7. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Hi man, you know now Yao has a heart of (for ) the Championship! :D

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Well, if this truely came from Yao, then it is well said. Yao is not a numbers guy and his performance shouldn't be judged as such. In today's fantasy generation, everyone wants our players to put up so much of each category and, if not met, is viewed as a failure. Yao ONLY cares for winning and doing whatever he can to help his team reach that goal. Look at tonight's game againt the Grizz. He didn't put up big numbers, but he made alot of critical plays (blocks, scores, defense, etc) in key moments of the game. So basically, for every win and/or championship(s) that come in his career with the Rockets, Yao will be exactly who we all wanted in the first place. A winner.

9. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Couldn't agree more, dude!:D

10. artificial

artificial Member

Yeah, dont be a girly man.

11. rvpals

rvpals Member

Good job translating. Thanks. It's from Yao's own official web site.

12. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

Im glad he reads around though.

13. cwww

cwww Member

struggling and crawling? really some strange words to describe what Yao wanna do in a ball game...

I guess,

"struggling and crawling"="trying to play very hard"

:)

14. linker88

linker88 Contributing Member

good job, Yao. Very cool head and right mental set. I am truely believe Yao and T-MAC will bring championship back to Houston.

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Very good read! Im impressed at Yaos comments

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Quit whining Yao and get back to work.

;)

Just kidding ya'll.

Nice read.

DD

17. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

I have to admit that I have posted negative comments about Yao in the past. And most of them were in retaliation to comments from other BBS members bashing Francis. Nevertheless, Yao does paly hard, and is a good player. He is by no means the the sterotypical pound it down your face big man, and he gets a let of flak from people as a result, myself included. I guess he is just saying he is what he is, nothing more nothing less. He is not the best ever, and also not the worst ever. He knows that he has been overhyped, and when he does not perform like the greatest ever, people give him sh!#. I blame people like Les Alexander for the unreasonable expectations put on Yao and on his teamates. Remember right after we drafted Yao he said: "This is the greatest team ever assembled." What a dumb ass!

18. linker88

linker88 Contributing Member

"struggling and crawling" means

-- you will have a night your shots just off.

-- you will have a night your turnover more than your points.

-- you will have a night Refs pick on you cluelessly

-- you will have a night everything seems against you.

But most importantly, Yao's statement is

-- you work hard every game and find a way to win the game.

Championship ring will not be here tomorrow but not far away either. Let's enjoy the process of YAO and TMAC era.

19. cwww

cwww Member

He better "struggling and crawling" (try hard) to avoid this... we can hardly win if he ever does that... :rolleyes:

20. Toast

Toast Member

In the first couple of games I criticized Yao for playing way too soft.

It was great to see him being aggressive last night and playing tough. Going strong to the basket. Challenging shots. I really liked Yao's game last night vs. the Grizzlies. That's what I wanna see, Yao!