1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao is paying the price (of not having a good PG and PF)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by artificial, Nov 5, 2004.

1. artificial

artificial Member

Yao is paying the price

of lacking a true starting PG and PF. His PT is diminishing and no way he can be productive without being on the court. 90% of his fouls in the past 3 games were from helping defense. Ward is not quick enough to keep up with the quick guards and MoT lacks the lateral speed to cover the lane and more often than not the opponent PF just ran past him for a layup or dunk. I hate to say that it's JVG's fault. But this problem is not going away until they figure out a way to defend well without getting Yao in foul trouble. Otherwise, Yao will end up playing with less PT than Deke.

2. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

well, I thought I never say this. But I agree with you. However, I'm not worried becasue I know Yao and JVG are working on it. As the seaons goes on, Yao will be more comfortable with playing this way.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Did we have a "true" PG and PF last year? :confused:

5. artificial

artificial Member

younger, quicker, and not undersized PG and above average BBIQ...not Steve Francis exactly

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

7. artificial

artificial Member

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

the 2 real problems: PG and PF

I believe it's bery clear now. PG and PF are the positions we badly in need of help. We need an athletic defensive PF in order to help Yao minimize his fouls.He fouls a lot to help the PF's cover their man. It's also evident in the game that Tmac brings the ball up. This is so because our PG's don't figure it out how to bring the ball with ease. This makes our superstars waste their energies in doing extra efforts needed by the team....

9. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Concerning the PG position, I believe we must wait until Sura comes back to declare the position a total loss. While at the PF position I can't say exactly what we need. I have previously had the idea to trade either Juwan Howard and Maurice Taylor (even though he is playing pretty well, defense leaves a bit to be desired) for Stromile Swift or a player that has that "I'm going to dunk all over you and get a lot of rebounds......and some blocks" type of attitude. Stromile Swift or someone like him. I mean we HAVE to do something at PF unless MT or JH show dramatic improvement. JH seems scared to take shots out there or something. MT is not as bad defensively as people seem to think but his rebounding sorely lacks. We will be ok though, seeing as though our only bright spot our first 3 games was Tmac and he carried us to a win tonite. Memphis dominated us last year but we got them this year in the first try. Toronto's loss was a fluke and a loss to the World Champs. McGrady will be McGrady and I see everyone improving their play, especially Yao, and we will be motoring in wins by the All-Star break.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

True.

1st priority: Better PG
    2nd priority: Athletic PF that can hit the 15ft shot/REBOUND/defend! (Chris Bosh!) ;)

Edit: Stromile Swift is a good pick (JusBleezy)

#10 DavidS, Nov 6, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  11. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

12. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

why don't we get an allstar at every position?

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Jordan won with bill winnington and and luke longley.

Hakeem won with Kenny Smith and Chucky Brown as our starting pg and pf for a long time, until Kenny became third string and Ed Recasner replaced him as the starter.

Great players take the teamates to the next level. Otherwise, we just be the Blazers of the late 90's.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"What set the tone was Mo's defense," Van Gundy said. "I know he fouled out in 20 minutes. But he competed hard against Gasol and did a great job with a minimum of help. The defense set the whole tone."

15. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Let's move Francis to the 2 spot. That should solve our PG problems. ;)

16. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I think the play where Mo jumped in front of Gasol when they passed to him was JVG's defensive plan. Yao was supposed to come and trap Pau, but was slow getting there. The play worked much better with Dike, as Pau left his feet and landed out of bounds.

17. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

Yao is paying the price for playing in a reactive mode instead of being agressive. The league came out and said before the season started that officiating was going to be tighter and it has. Now , this has made games almost unwatchable and I doubt that it will last. (it never does) But, if they stick with it and actually change the atmosphere of the game then it will be better for eveyone , especially Yao in my opinion.

I can't find anyone at fault for Yao's performance but Yao. Most of the defensive fouls he has been called for were his own fault. He keeps leaving his feet when people drive the lane on him.....why? You're 7'6 keeep your hands up and stay straight up, don't move your feet and you have a charge, block, or missed shot in all liklehood. Trust me, the NBA doesn't want Yao on the bench, he is putting himself there with indecisive play

nine

18. edc

edc Contributing Member

Say, who was the head coach of either of those teams, and why doesn't Yao have a guy like that coaching him now?

19. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

The fact that I acutally agree with you once is scarey:)

Here's what happened that caused the 5 fouls on Yao in the Memphis game

The first one just a loose ball foul, bad call, Yao didn't do nothing wrong.

Second one are more interesting
    [​IMG]
    See something wrong? Ya, we only got 4 guys, Ward is laying on the other side b!thing at the refs. As results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Third foul on Yao is caused by the bad defense by Mo T
    He tried to semi-fronting Pau Gasol, and deny him the pass, only that Jason Williams was a better passer than Mo thought, and Gasol sealed Mo on his back and turn to the basket, Yao came to help, but was one step late:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Fourth foul were bad defense on Mo again off the PnR
    [​IMG]
    Wells came off the PnR from Stromile Swift, but notice that Mo aren't guarding neither Wells nor Swift at this point
    [​IMG]
    Now JJ is one step behind Wells, Mo did not fight off the screen and deny Wells' path to the basket, so Yao have to come to help out, and here's where he got his 4th foul
    [​IMG]

Fifth foul is again caused by PnR, this time is JWillams got a pick from James Posey, Lue tried to fight on top of the screen instead of just go behind it, now he (she?) is one step behind:
    [​IMG]
    Now everyone is out of position
    [​IMG]
    And they draw the 5th foul on Yao
    [​IMG]

All results in bad defense on our PG and PF, Yao have to constantly pay for their mistakes.