1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Franchise Player: Yao or Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsAstros, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
?

Better Franchise Player: Yao or Francis?

1. Yao

237 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. Francis

131 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. noize

noize Contributing Member

True, he got like only 9 touches at most between the two games. Like what JJ said after the Raptors game, Yao not getting the ball more as much as they like b/c his teammates are poor at getting him the ball and Yao himself is not getting good position.

2. ceddy

ceddy Member

i dunno now! yao is playing TERRIBLE!!!! like this is the worst i've seen him play since his 1st season....he was missing layups, blowing dunks...turning the ball over....looks out of shape too....now francis and mobley are flourishing in orlando...did u see that dunk he had over that stiff? i have to say francis is the better player this year...if u ask me, jvg is killing the team..he has got to adjust his system to better fit the team....he is killing us... and why the heck is he benching motumbo? motumbo played well vs detroit, but jvg benches him??? i really question jvg's moves..it really pisses me off....time is ticking...yao has to improve soon...why don't they have a personal trainer training yao? his stamina is by far the worst in the league:mad: i'm not a happy rox fan right now!!!!!!!

3. bbfan

bbfan Member

It appears to me that the problem with Yao is not that he's not aggressive, but it's that he doesn't have the upper body strength and the quickness to be aggressive. He fights hard for position but flails around when guys push back. And it takes him forever to gather himself to go up for a dunk, and then often times he gets stripped or doesn't have the strength to go up against the defender's body.
    And then there's the problem with the zone. Watching Shaq the past few years, trust me, it's futile to throw him the ball when there are two or three guys around him. Throwing him the ball against two or three defenders is like throwing into double-coverage in football, it just doesn't work. The ability for the defense to drop back and the defensive 3-second violation allow the defenders to masterfully prevent him from ever getting a good passing lane in great position. No coincidence the Lakers lost the past two years when teams started to zone him regularly. As for Yao, you can tell that he's trying hard, it's just not his fault that the rules are preventing him from becoming a major impact player.
    I think you should be more concerned with T-Mac. He has the ability to take his man off the dribble almost every time he wants to, yet settles for fadeaways. 7 free throws per game career average, while usually being the lone star(hence more opportunity to score) should attest to that.

4. Miggidy Markell

Good point, now if Francis was still here.... there would be Francis bashing threads all over the place "Too many turnovers" "Steve's a Ball hogg" LALALA. Too blind to recognize that JVG's offensive coaching is poor.

5. Miggidy Markell

Yes, we have tried to use Steve as a Franchise player, but in the league today it has been proven that a team needs at least 2 star players or a top star with great role players to win championships (with exception of Detroit, great team + great coach) Steve had Cuttino and basically no one else. T-Mac had J-Howard and No one else. HOWEVER, Yao has had Steve his first 2 seasons but unfortunately for Steve, Yao is not the star player yet that could have taken the Rockets further into the play-offs.
    Now JVG didn't get along with Francis because he wanted Steve to be a Charlie Ward type point guard which is a total waste of talent. So the Rockets traded Steve to suit JVG's scheme (and it's arguable that T-Mac & J-Howard for Francis, Mobley and Cato is a good trade for an upgrade)
    Now with T-Mac already a star and Yao getting closer to being one, the Rockets wins/losses should improve during the regular season naturally. Does this make Steve a failure or does it just make him a victum of the teams failure to produce a championship caliber team to surround him? INCLUDING coaching staff.

BTW. I am a Francis fan, but my signature is actually from Steven Segal. I don't really understand how it relates to Steve but if you would like to let me know, I'd like to hear how.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao is developing just fine.He's definitely on a different learning curve than most though.
    Barring injury,his guy is going to become one of the top 5 centers to ever play the game.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yao Ming. Wing scorers are a dime a dozen. True low post threats that can draw double teams are much more valueable.

8. because24

because24 Member

The Franchise. I am a Ming fan but he is what he is .... soft. And seven footers who draw a double team are hard but not that rare to come by in the NBA. Theres at at least eight seven footers who can draw a double team today. It's not half as many players who play with the Franchise heart and passion.

9. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

After another game, Motumbo looks better than Yao, and Francis wins another one at the end. I hope Yao gets better, but for right now, the decision of Francis being a better franchise player is being backed.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

he is being a better franchise player in a scheme that fits him. JVG's system and what they are trying to do with a Low post player in Yao doesn't fit Francis.

Depends on what type of franchise you are trying to build. In a system that has young guys with no low post threat like Orlando, of course Francis is going to thrive since he is doing what he has been doing for his whole life...runin and gunnin.....so in that sense he is a better franchise player for a team like that...

Really depends on what type of team you are building. just like the lakers ...they went from a low post team with shaq to a run and gun team with Kobe....we will see how much success they both can have in the near future.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

For Houston is Yao

For Orlando is Francis

12. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

We'll see... If Hill goes down again, Francis and the Magic are screwed... Hill is the perfect complement to a incredibly athletic moron like Francis.

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Steve Francis will will score lots of points and jump up and down and maybe get past the firtst round cause the east coast teams are weaker. Yao Ming will take the rockets to many 2nd and conferance and even league finals rounds for years to come as the dominate center in the NBA for the next ten years starting late this season...write it down...