1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabba, errr Moore finally speaks!!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by 4chuckie, Nov 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

And most importantly, Kerry STILL lost.

Again, more people voted for Bush than Reagan.

The problem Moore has now he doesn't know who is going to run for office in '08 so he really can't get a jump on it. Will he try to defeat that person just because he or she is a republican?

All of his time and effort was a complete waste. It did nothing other than sell movie tickets (which is a good thing in that aspect).

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

So if many years from now, somebody runs for Prez and gets twice as many votes as Bush but still loses, does that make them better? Perspective, where have you gone?

3. lalala902102001

Don't you think that Michael.Moore would be the happiest person on earth to see Dubya reelected.

Do you know how much money he has made from "Fahrenheit 9/11"? I can already see the sequel coming.

4. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

More people voted for Kerry than Reagan also. Big deal. Means nothing. See my post above.

Moore has already moved on. His mission failed and now he can move forward with his next project; Sicko. He is now going to take on the HMO's, which is a good thing whether you like him or not.

For the record, for those of you not familiar with his past work, he also gave Clinton a hard time. Many episodes of the Awful Truth ragged on Clinton.

I put Moore in the same category as Bill O'Reilly. If he's fighting you fight, you want him on your side.

Like him or not, he has done a lot of good for the underdog.

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Hey, Moore...spin on this:

Bush Wins Iowa to Claim Last Three States

By MIKE GLOVER

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - President Bush won Iowa on Friday, finishing the 2004 campaign with wins in all three of the states that were still up in the air on election night.

The last result came in the state that started the election year with its party caucuses back in January. Although Democratic Sen. John Kerry had already conceded the race for the White House on Wednesday, the counting of absentee ballots continued in Iowa, which had been too close to call.

By Friday, Bush had 745,980 votes and Kerry had 732,764 with the number of outstanding ballots too few to change the outcome.

Long after the polls closed on Tuesday, Bush won Ohio, which gave him the 270 electoral votes necessary for a second term, and then he won New Mexico.

With Iowa decided on Friday, Bush finished with 286 electoral votes and Kerry 252.

In 2000, Democrat Al Gore won Iowa and New Mexico. The only Republican-to-Democratic switch this year was New Hampshire.

The Democrats' defeat in Iowa reflects a larger problem for them in the Midwest and across the political map.

Along with Wisconsin and Minnesota, Iowa and its seven electoral votes are part of the once-Democratic Upper Midwest that is growing more conservative with each presidential election. Kerry won Minnesota by just 3 percentage points, Wisconsin by a single point.

In addition, Michigan and Pennsylvania went Democratic by 3 percentage points or less and Bush won Ohio despite its economic miseries.

Democrats hope to cultivate the Southwest as a fertile substitute for Midwest losses, but Bush narrowed Democratic advantages among Hispanics in the region.

So GOP red states dominated the Electoral College map, with dashes of blue saved for both coasts and the shifting Midwest.

Kerry began campaigning in Iowa nearly three years ago. His surprising win in the Jan. 19 caucuses over a slate of eight other candidates gave him the momentum to claim the Democratic nomination.

In Iowa, absentee ballots had to be postmarked by Nov. 1, and those received by county auditors up until noon Monday can be counted. Special precinct boards also have been reviewing provisional ballots that were cast.

The state will not certify its results until Nov. 29. Iowa Secretary of State Chet Culver had asked the public for patience while the state pursued its vote-counting process, which has been in place for 30 years.

Both the Bush and Kerry campaigns had worked hard to capture Iowa's electoral votes, with a steady stream of visitors in the weeks leading up to Election Day.

Before this year, the last Republican to carry Iowa was Ronald Reagan in 1984.

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Someone should tell Moore it technically isn't illegal for Bush to run again. Just a tradition that will be followed.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought after FDR it was an adopted measure?

DD

8. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

DaDa's right dude, 2 term limit when on the books after Roosevelt died in his last term.

No president did it more than twice BEFORE him because George Washington only served 2 and was considered tradition.

nice try though...

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Either halfbreed is younger than we think or he slept through his civics and american govt. classes.

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Michael Moore is near the top of the 57 million strong heap. He's one of the best activists I've ever seen, and his takes are dead-on. But he's a little to optimistic for me right now. I wish he would look into the Electronic that took place on November 2nd.

To say that he failed in his cause of getting 18-29 year olds to start thinking about politics and voting, is absurd. Politics, thanks to people like Moore, John Stewart, etc., have become part of pop culture like never before. It didn't result in enough votes this time, but at least young people are talking about it. It's a step forward.

As far as getting rid of Bush is concerned, Moore made his case- just like Kerry did. Unfortunately, this election proved that a slim majority of Americans are extremely are either $elfish, ignorant, an Evangelist, or all three. When you have that much in common with the president, how can you not vote for him?

11. halfbreed

I used to think that it was a law, as well. But, from what I've been told (including in classes this year), it never really was adopted. So, if anyone can provide me with the law, I shall stand corrected and demad that my Gov prof buy me lunch :D

12. halfbreed

I'm dumb. I found it. Confused something the prof said (that there SHOULD be no term limits) and must have just had a brain collapse otherwise. Pretty sad for a GOV major, eh? *blush* So I thought right at first...that's my story.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would personally benefit more from Kerry's plan than Bush's, I graduated from a university with high honors, and I have never been called an Evangelist. Is it possible that some people just agree more with the policies of Bush than they do with Kerry?

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

He failed as an activist. Now you can claim he passed as a business person in hyping himself but he had a goal to get Bush out of office. He spent massive amounts of time (touring campuses for last 2 years) and money trying to get the young population to help him. His voting iniative didn't work. Young people didn't show up any more than other age brackets.

This election shows more than anything who flippin stupid your party is. To say you lost because we are selfish, ignarant or evangelistic show your mental capabilities. Your party caters to the elite and minority groups. Teh only thing you offer to the middle class is Tax Cuts which are already there from President Bush (what a great platform I will give you ohhh I mean extend tax breaks the curent President gives you). So get off your high horse. Your party had a bad plan and it didn't work. But if it makes you happy keep saying you got beat by a bunch of ignorant, selfish or Evangelistic people. keep that attitude and you'll keep losing house, senate and presendiatial elections. Keep up the good work!!!

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No no no no no!!! That is simply impossible. The only reason Bush won is because too many racist, bigoted, homophobic, ignorant, stupid, mean spirited, religiously fanatical, redneck, warmongering, talk radio listening ditto-heads were DUPED by the lies put forth by this administration into voting for satan himself, George W Bush.

Haven't you been paying attention to the bloggers? :confused:

16. esse

esse Contributing Member

CLINTON TO DEMS: DON'T WHINE

Friday, November 05, 2004

NEW YORK — Former President Bill Clinton (search), in his first public remarks since the election, said Friday that President Bush's re-election offered great opportunities for both the incumbent and the Democratic Party.

"The two are not necessarily in conflict," Clinton told the annual conference of the Urban Land Institute (search), a Washington-based think tank. Democrats "shouldn't be all that discouraged" by Bush's narrow victory over U.S. Sen. John Kerry (search), he continued.

It would be a mistake, Clinton warned, for Democrats to "sit around and whine" after Tuesday's results.

Clinton, whose second term was hampered by the Monica Lewinsky (search) scandal, said Bush should use his second four years to move the United States toward an economy less dependent on foreign oil. Such a move would shift the balance of power in the Middle East, the ex-president said in his address at a midtown Manhattan hotel.

One crucial concern will be brokering a peace agreement between the Israelis and the Palestinians, which Clinton said could happen during Bush's second term. He said the uncertain health of PLO leader Yasser Arafat, who remained in a coma Friday, made an agreement more likely.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

see, it's attitudes like this that make me despise liberals such as yourself. you come off pompous and omninicient, as if you know exactly what's right for america and there is no other alternaitve. that's absolutely ludicrous.

look, i've criticized bush for years, from everything from the patriot act to iraq to his special interests (go back and check some of my posts - i've completely hated on him on several occassions). so it's not like i'm some avid right-wing supporter like many are, it's just that Kerry failed to strike a strong chord w/ me and many of my friends. period. i am neither selfish, ignorant, nor especially evangelical (ha!), but good job stereotyping 57 million people. instead of blaming bush or the people who voted for him, why don't you blame the democratic party for completely alienating and disregarding a huge part of the population; for being out of touch w/ so many regular people.

the sooner you realize you know absolutely nothing, the better. if you hate America so much, just go ahead and move to canada and spare us your mindless drivel.

good day.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

<b>Z</b>ero <b>R</b>epublican <b>B</b>rain.

I know he will consider that a compliment-- but I couldn't resist...

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

If I'm not mistaken, he already vowed to leave the country if Bush was re-elected.

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

One down...