1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Lakers say no to Kidd because of Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AGBee, Nov 4, 2004.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

Stein on crack once again. MLE?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1915464

The Lakers, meanwhile, have already rejected formal Kidd trade proposals, opting to move the expiring contracts of Gary Payton and Rick Fox to Boston instead. Sources say that's because L.A. thinks it has a better shot at signing Houston's Yao Ming in the summer of 2007, with Rudy Tomjanovich as its coach, than many believe. As one rival executive noted, Yao could sign with the Lakers for the mid-level exception (nearly $5 million) -- even though it would never come to that -- and easily recoup any lost salary through the myriad endorsement opportunities he'd have as a Laker. Whether its Yao dreams are worthwhile or merely fantasy, L.A. prefers to grind through the next couple seasons, no matter how hard they are, and see what it can do with salary-cap room two or three off-seasons from now . . . as opposed to committing well over $200 million to a too-small pairing of Kidd with Kobe Bryant.

#1 AGBee, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

Rudy, and a more mature Kobe and Yao at his prime. Yao must want to leave now :D

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Stuckup....LA. As usual.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Stein is definitely on crack. Is he thinking that Houston can't afford Yao? :mad:

5. jlwee

jlwee Member

A more mature kobe??? Yao would never play along with a rapist... lakers can dream on

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I'm not worried. Les even said, during his comments about the recently-signed TMac extension, that they will lock Yao up as soon as it is possible.

7. patlabor1

patlabor1 Member

At this rate Houston might want Yao to take a long hike.

If I was them they should try to setup a trade to get as many (quality) players they can get thru a three way trade or something than wait until Yao can exercise his option.

With Yao going to the Lakers as part of the second option behind Kobe they will have greater chances at more titles
    while T-mac is a great great player KB has 3 rings.

You just can't put a price of experience like that.

8. brasss

brasss Member

maybe yao is playing bad on purpose so that rox won't lock him up? haha

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Does cutting and running sound like Yao Ming? I don't think so.

10. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Mcgrady NEVER had Shaq and 'KB' did. Without Shaq Kobe wouldnt have ONE championship let alone 3!

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I love the consistent hummers doled out to the Lakers by ESPN. Opening night, the defending champions winning and getting their rings was on the front page of the NBA section of EVERY major sports site (Fox, CNN/SI, Sportsline, etc) except one - ESPN, who had a giant picture of Kobe.

That obsession with LA is getting really, REALLY old.

12. franchise?..NOT

Rox will sign Yao. Bank on it. If Yao is unhappy or does not realize his potential here then someone will be happy to take his contract off our hands and we will get something back in trade.

If Yao gets advised to not sign here long term then the ROX would be able to hold an auction for his services next year.
    and send him as a sign and trade for whatever they want.

No way Yao goes to Lakers or anyone else as a FA!

13. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

how about the Lakers getting TWO nationally televised games on the first 2 days of the season

... then rolling over to UTAH

14. amed

amed Contributing Member

I hope this comes true. Please Yao go to LA.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

While I don't think it will happen, it isn't impossible. First of all, it is LA-the NBA's Dynasty Team. The greats have played there, and maybe that is what Yao wants.

Also, remember how much Yao looked up to Rudy T (not literally)? Rudy was like a father to Yao and he probably won't forget that. If you had your choice, who would you pick? Rudy or JVG?

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Dude, if you are serious, please stop posting here. This is a Rockets site.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

A factor that Stein only hinted at was the Chinese influence. IIRC, China wasn't too thrilled about him going to Houston originally, they preferred he was in California with the high Chinese population.

Houston obviously can afford to max out Yao whatever the contract is. But LA is one of the teams most in China follow and he would tap into much more endorsements internationally. Who cares about what he gets in any NBA city when comparison to the Chinese community

The concentration ESPN (both positive and negative) on LA is sad but LA is a marquee team in a way even currently better teams like Houston or San Antonio are not.

This rumor will likely grow or die as soon as Yao is able to sign an extension. If he does, then LA has to move on. If not, let the speculation begin.

18. ataniwan

ataniwan Contributing Member

I'm from LA, I want Yao to be rockets forever. I believe Yao thinks the same thing

19. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

He is serious. I already put him on my ignored list this summer.

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

That was soooo NOT cool :mad: