1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is the US so much more religous as a country than majority of developed countries

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Probably because of the education system.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see. I do agree with you that the American publics ideals do come from that religious background. But our form of government comes from Ancient Rome, and Ancient Greece. I was seperating church and state.

As far as my posting skills... Believe me nobody is more in touch with the mediocrity of their posting skills than I am. I just enjoy it a lot, and if it's an interesting thread I sometimes post several times fairly frequently.

This article sounds exactly like what the news story I heard was based on. I'm glad I got it in print, right in front of me this time.

Thanks.

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I think the religion goes along with the fortune that we have. Alot of the religious in the country believe that they were pre-determined to be better than others, which explains why they are American. Being great and being religious go hand in hand, they justify each other. Why else do people thank God when they win an emmy or when they do well in athletic competitions?

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think one is close minded when they do not question their beliefs. People often don't truly understand their own "beliefs" that they cling to as truth. That is close-mindedness.

"When we cling so tightly to what we take to be true, we are not open to truth. Guarding knowledge is not a good way to find understanding. Understanding means a willingness to throw away our knowledge. You must be willing to let go of your views and your knowledge in order to transcend them and reach understanding."
    ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason."
    ~ Buddha

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So if someone believes without question that there is no God, is that being open minded or close minded?

Look, I don't mean to imply that those who don't believe in God are close-minded. I don't begrudge anyone their right to have their own belief system. All I'm saying is that calling someone close-minded because they believe in something is.....well, close minded IMO.

6. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I wasn't criticizing your posts or anything.

I was just having some fun with you for using the word "precious" to describe your post (I'm assuming you meant 'previous').

7. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

People here live in fear.

8. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I don't think it's an issue of "You're close-minded because you believe in God", but instead an issue of "You're close-minded because your belief in God causes you to not be as tolerant or open as some."

9. Isabel

Isabel Member

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that we were founded as a place where people could come and worship as they chose. Back then, many countries didn't give you the option of following religions (or even Christian denominations) other than their chosen one. Some countries still don't. Now, if religion isn't that important to you, or if you don't care which one you've got, you'll just go along with it. Those who were passionate about their beliefs came here in order to practice them, and the tradition has been handed down.

(there... I did it... objective answer, at least above) Whatever the case, though, I'm glad we take that stand in this country. Too many people these days exclude the possibility that there might be a God or that this God just might care what we do.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think too many people think they know what "god" wants and feel the need to enforce those beliefs thought violent, forcefull methods.

There are many very religious people who don't believe in the Judeo / Christian god btw...

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i think if you believe or not has nothing to do with being close or open minded. If you respect the other religion, watever that religion is, or his lack of religion you are openminded. Alot of people i know do not respect that other people believe different things than they do.

I respect EVERY religion. and i hope every person is happy with his religion, and life. I'm not religious, i expect from others to respect that, aswel as i respect them.

So basically i do not think that it depends on your religion, or lack of it, if you are open minded. Just how you deal with people with other religions

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Morals/values does not always equate to a religion

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I was waiting for somebody to take my bait!

[​IMG]

Fish On!

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

This has been the monthly line for the church that I pass by on the way to school.
    "Faith is what you believe in, not in what you see."

And that pretty much summed it up for me.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I am against religion but I am not against those who want to be religious. If you want to be religious that's fine but don't and I repeat don't tell me that I am wrong because you just push me further away from religion and make me dislike it even more than I already do.

It's like I said religion is one of the great evils of mankind. It works on fear and anytime you can instill fear in people you can control them. That's pretty much what religion does and it can affect the way people act, think, etc. It's responsible for some of history's greatest travesties and is even responsible for the war going on right now in Iraq.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Religion is USED to justify things
    IMO
    not to incite them

Too many Atheist confused the wants and needs on MEN
    and their ability to manipulate other men through the
    other men's good intentions.. . . . with Religion

This war is about Business and Capitalism
    Honestly - More wrong has been done for Capitalism
    than any other Religion. . . .. Capitalism is unique becuase
    unlike other religions. . . it does not seek credit. . in fact it
    defers to the 'traditional' religions

Rocket River

17. Lil Pun

But the root of this war can be traced back to religion. Islamic extremist attacked the U.S. because they though that is what their religion told them to do. Those attacks on the U.S. led to the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq.

18. Lil Pun

Too many Atheist confused the wants and needs on MEN
    and their ability to manipulate other men through the
    other men's good intentions.. . . . with Religion

I'm not sure I understand this statement please explain further.

BTW, I'm not an atheist.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I think it has to do with our size, insularity and history.

I haven't seen polling on this but I bet if you polled urban residents you would find our attitudes not much different than Euros but if you polled rural and suburban residents things would be differently. We are closer to our agrarian roots which tend to be more religious than Europe.

Unlike Europe we haven't had any wars over religion. If we had several civil wars between the faithful and the heretics I bet we probably wouldn't be embracing religion so much.

20. Lil Pun

In my opinion religion is used to both justify and incite things and not one or the other.