1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election Day Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Stop arguing about stupid **** and stay on topic.

Thank you! :D

Most of the consultants (on both sides) who have written things today have said the numbers look better for Kerry than they did for Gore at the same time of the day in 2000, but that really means nothing. The heavy voter turnout is wreaking havoc with things like exit polling numbers.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I've heard the opposite. The other thing to remember is that small Kerry leads today are washed away by Bush's absentee ballot lead.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Like I said, no way to predict at this point. Early voting and absintee should favor Bush. Election day numbers should favor Kerry. Where the thing ends up is anyone's guess. I just hope it is over before I go to bed so I don't have to think about it after tonight! :D

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I damn near got drunk reading that!:D

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The eternal optimist. And Yao will average 20 rebounds this season.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sigh...i'm not sure what i did to suddenly become your bete noir, but this is one thing i surely won't miss...

7. Buck Turgidson

See...definitely a yankee. Drink the anejo straight, like a man. Use the blanco for ritas.

Sorry, Jeff, for derailing the quite substantial RIET/basso debate.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Be quiet. Just because you're still pissed about losing Johan Santana, don't take it out on me.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

**** it, not getting any work done, brit's on in ten, i'm opening a bottle of wine. i've chosen a nice 2000 valpolicella, roccolo grassi. not much good red wine in the red states...

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I only drink my wine if it comes out of a box.

ONLY THE BEST

11. Buck Turgidson

Does that come in a box?

At least tell me it has a screwcap.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I voted a couple of weeks ago on impulse, at my local grocery store, and really miss being in the crowds voting, talking to the poll workers (bless 'em!) about the turnout, and chatting with folks in line. I've always enjoyed it, regardless of the wait. My wife voted this morning, and said our polling place was handling 2 precincts, with her being lucky to be in the one with a short line. The other one had over a hundred waiting.

I usually don't vote a straight party ticket, and I didn't this time, giving a vote to my Republican neighbor, who's running for county sheriff. The rest went to Democratic candidates. Gotta poke a few holes in this big elephant sitting on the state of Texas. :p

I heard on the radio coming home that the estimated turnout for Ohio was 70%!! :eek: That's amazing, if true. I hope my guy wins, but regardless of the victor, the renewed interest in the political process is fantastic, and a real boon for the country. Let's hope it's a clear victory for the White House, so that battles in the courts don't ruin how Americans look at politics in this country, and it sinks back into the morass of cynicism we've been stuck in for so long.

And if my guy wins tonight, I'm going to get plastered! :cool:

Keep D&D Civil!!
    And party for your Party! :D

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What exactly does turnout mean? Does that mean a certain percentage of the population is voting or a certain percentage of registered voters are voting? Why is 70% considered good? What is the normal or usual percentage of people that turnout to vote?

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Well I managed to get a few friends to vote for Kerry today. These are people who probably wouldn't have voted if I hadn't made them. That sort of makes up for not being able to vote.

Kerry is winning.

15. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

How are people going to feel IF Kerry wins and the terrorists start celebrating?

I think the prospect of watching the Kerrorists celebrate may be equally sickening.

16. Charvo

Charvo Member

For anyone who wants to see where the money is flowing in terms of worldwide betting on the winner of the U.S. election. You can go here.

http://www.betfair.com/

The odds are currently in Kerry's favor with the odds of G.W. winning around 3.9 to 1 meaning you can bet $1, and you'd win $3.95 if you G.W. wins. The Kerry odds are around 1.35 to 1.

I think the numbers become more relevant as the night rolls on.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Normal percentage is around 50%. So 70% is phenomenal.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That's dumb even for you.

Usually, that refers to "eligible voters" - people who are of legal age, legal citizen status and have no felony convictions that would prevent them from acquiring voter registration.

19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Other than because it makes you angry (apparently) why do you feel that is "dumb"? Did you hear Osama's tape? He wants to punish the Red states. Put simply, he doesn't like Bush. Why should he? Bush wiped out the vast majority of al Queda's infrastructure and removed many of their hiding places. Do you think it is "dumb" that Osama does not like Bush?

If I were a terrorist, I'd much rather have a candidate in office who as made a career of being anti-war, anti-defense, and someone who plans on getting out of Iraq asap. It's that simple Jeff. That simple.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's just not true. The New York Post and reactionary blogs are the only ones pushing this junk. It's been roundly discredited since the actual transcript was released.

Second, it's not at all "that simple." You only give one side of the argument. At least as many people believe Bin Laden wants Bush because (1) his recruitment's never been so high as it is with Bush in office, and (2) whatever you think about Iraq's role in the war on terror, Bush has been more focused on Iraq than OBL.

Third, you'll notice people are really behaving respectfully around here today. Take a note.