1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time Warner subscribers: DVR's now available in Houston!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DanHiggsBeard, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

What's the average time between ordering cable and them installing it nowadays? If I order today/tomorrow, any chance of them having it installed by saturday night?

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

This discussion is much like "PC v. Mac." The TW SciAtlantic DVR is "good enough," in that it has the basic functionality, but is buggy and occasionally crashes. The standalone TiVO is the better platform, is rock-steady, but is more expensive. The DirecTV PVR (w/TiVo) is the less-expensive solution, but only works if you are a DirecTV customer.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

As far as I know you still can't get a High Def Tivo so that puts the TW DVR one up in my book.

Oh and Mac's all the way. ;)

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

Not standalone. I have a DirecTV HD TiVo (which is a LOT more expensive :D ) in my living room, and have for six months now...

5. AGBee

AGBee Member

If you have DirecTV they're available, but expensive (cheaper if you're a long time customer). It does give you 200 hours of standard TV, or 30 hours of HD. How much HD does the TW DVR record? I don't know much about them.

HD Tivo at Best Buy

6. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I wanted another one for my upstairs big screen tv and they cable guy told me that they were on back order and were hard to get since so many people wanted them. Maybe you will get lucky. Anyways I have another coming.

7. Miguel

I mean, I don't have cable what so ever right now. I'll drive around Houston to different TWC offices if I have to, to get the DVR boxes...

I just want to know how long it'll take from calling to installation...I'm gonna pressure my dad into ordering it before sunday...cause...I want my football!

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

turn to Channel 51 to see it in action

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

when I went and got mine last last Sat, the lady at the Baytown office said they had plenty....so you might chek it out and see.

So far...everything has worked great on mine....no crashes, good quality, appears to hold around 50hrs of stuff.

well worth the cash...now all I got to do is get one for the computer room so I can use it to record stuff and directly import it to my capture box for editing and transferring to dvd.

:D

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I don't know if it's true but someone told me anyone can use the HD boxes they have available too. And they hold more hours.

Can anyone confirm this?

11. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Speaking of crashes - mine crashed once every few weeks... it would also forget some of my "record all" settings... which was REALLY ANNOYING.

But still better than not having any recording capabilities at all. If you can afford it and don't want to get TiVo (which is far and away the better option if you go dual), then get the Time Warner version.

12. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I have Direct TV and a DVD recorder.
    How come I can't record TV program on it?
    Do they have the signal scrambled or something?

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Late to the party.

Okay, I skimmed the thread the first time this was posted back in September.

I was flipping through some channels, and I ran in to channel 51 on time warner. They were talking about DVR on TWC.

I then Remember this thread.

So what do I do? I just return my digital cable box to the time warner office, and they just exchange it for the DVR, no cost?

How much is dvr per month? Is there a charge on that.
    I read earlier in the post it said 5 bucks per month or 7 bucks now, but I am looking at twc's site, and I can't find a price, so I just want to make sure.

14. Miguel

Right now, you're paying 7 bucks for the set top box.

When you exchange it, you receive the DVR set top box...

You pay 7 dollars, plus a 6.95 "DVR" fee...at least that is what I was lead to believe.

so, rather than 7 bucks per box, you pay 13.95

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

monthly fee on that?

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yes..monthly...in additionto the 7 bucks youhave been paying for the settop box..you are charged an additional 7 bucks a month for the DVR...

well worth it imo...now that I have one...coudlnt live without it.

17. outlaw

outlaw Member

i can watch a Rockets game in under an hour without having to worry about the videotape running out.

18. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

people are making this more confusing than it needs to be...

you just trade in your old box for the dvr, then there is an additional $5-7 monthly charge for the service.

You're paying $7 a month right now for your digital box, and since the dvr box is $7 month it just cancels it out.

After everything is said and done, you should only be paying $5-7 more than what you're paying right now.