1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron: Oct.24] Francis steals show as Magic rout Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tshi6575, Oct 24, 2004.

1. imaham259

imaham259 Member

I disagree somewhat because I think since Yao is the centerpiece of our system JVG wanted to see which bench players work best with Yao.

On a sidenote anyone notice a corelation between a lack of fire from Yao and stevie absence from the team. I think one of the overlooked things well miss from Steve was how he got on Yao's butt for not dunking the ball.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Jerry Brewer just reminded me why I hate about 90% of sportswriters out there.

That article was complete trash. All he's doing is trying to make himself and the fans feel better about the Mcgrady trade. He's too focused on bashing T-Mac to realize what they got in return, three legit starters. He's too obsessed with T-Mac's "ego" to even realized it was a pre-season game, and the Rockets were helping themselves out in the long-run by resting their vets.

:rolleyes:

3. Charvo

Charvo Member

Yao had zero fire in the game against the Magic. Knowing the team is putting out its 2nd unit to play alongside him as starters may have had an effect. However, the hug after the game basically told the story. Yao's emotional ties to his former teammates have not disappeared yet, and it was evident he did not have the heart to play in the game.

Sometimes you have to be a cold-blooded SOB like Kobe to be among the best in the NBA.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hate to say it, but Francis seems smarter and more mature with his quotes than T-Mac.

Francis' quotes are well thought-out and classy.

Cannot say the same thing about T-Mac, hope he will mature.

5. droxford

droxford Member

I thought Steve's responses were respectful and classy. The Orlando press sure does talk up some trash, though.

We'll see what happens on Jan. 20th. Should be a helluva game!

-- droxford

6. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

I thought Yao's struggles were more related to lack of cohesiveness in the units playing together - especially the PG.

Getting the ball up was a problem - starting plays late in the shot clock cycle then very tentative execution with players standing around and rushed shots were all in evidence last night.

7. montevideo

Could it be that Rox sat T-Mac as a shot at Orlando's brass - who may have some angry fans phoning about no advance notice on T-Mac sitting out.

This could be a message to Weiselbrod to STF-up about the deal and concentrate on running his team.

8. tshi6575

tshi6575 Member

I think Francis was just being diplomatic (as he has done numerous times in the past). Personally I would rather hear a player speaks his mind than make up some words that are politically correct in order to make the fans believe he seems smarter and more mature than T-Mac.

And I believe the only reason Francis can remain calm and didn't break loose was because CD and JVG didn't smash him like John Weisbrod did to T-Mac, or we might see something even more outrageous than the current T-Mac/Weisbrod soap opera. CD and JVG knows too well what kind of guy Francis is -- if Francis feels he's slanted or disrespected by the Rockets, he will retaliate -- and that's one of the major reasons why CD/JVG will find every opportunity they could to praise Francis and other ex-Rockets so that someone's ego won't get hurt.

Still, we can sense a certain bitterness from Francis towards T-Mac/Rockets from some of his quotes:

Translation: Unlike T-Mac, I'm a warior who faces challenges and am a stand up guy who will play this much anticipated first game against my former team, and not disappointing the crowds who come to see the game.

Translation: Unlike T-Mac who just trash talked his former team, I'm still treating my former team with respect -- it simply shows I'm more classy and mature than T-Mac.

Translation: Just let the Rockets' fans know, I still love you guys and the city -- so please love me back! keep supporting me! buy my merchandise and don't boo me when I return to the Toyota Center!!!

Translaton: When I said I'm playing a whopping ' 250 PERCENT BETTER, repeat, 250 PERCENT!!!' in Orlando as compared to last year under JVG, I'm sure the fans could take a hint that there must be something wrong with JVG's system, because he simply cannot find something that incorporate and utilize my skills last year! Oh, and do I have to tell you I'm supposed to be the star/leader/go-to-guy of last year's Rockets team?

9. montevideo

I read Francis' remark the same way.

It also reminded of last years superbowl incident which was indicative of the JVG-SF relationship and Steve's attitude - coach says X Steve does Y - regardless.

That could very well have been the turning point for Rockets decision to move Steve - because of the very public and very divergent statements by Steve and Jeff afterwards.

10. Panda

Panda Member

I don't have a problem with ppl who dominate the ball to be effective, if they can do it efficiently. I'm also glad we traded the drama queens.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think everybody is blowing this way out of proportion and of course the media is at the center of it.

I love the way the first article posted trashes TMac as if it was his idea to sit out. So what does the Magic clown writer want? It's a feel-good article for them. The media monkeys need something to get the fans on their side and sell papers, so they invent situations like this.

As for TMac lashing out - I'm surprised the guy could stay contained this long while getting bashed by Weisbrod. Like I said in chat, maybe JVG held him out so he wouldn't choke Weisbrod to death.

The Rockets, as an organization, have stayed above all this and for that I love it they are my team. They dealt players and didn't trash them during or after the process. Makes me proud to still be a Rockets fan.

12. yahooforyao

yahooforyao Member

This is about the stupidest thing i have heard, How can you say that? If steve was not classy, i bet you would hate on him, but since he is classy he's faking it right? your a moron. So you are saying Steve can not be classy, no matter how he truly feels?

Pople like you make me sick, you POS.

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Okey! So it was one hell of a show for the magic's back court duo, but that was just an exibition game that we all expected to happen. Just wait till the regular season starts. And quote," You will all know why we have to push this trade".:cool:

14. tshi6575

tshi6575 Member

yahooforyao--

hehe... well, your comments towards me was simply not very classy was it?

Calm down dude... I didn't say Steve was not classy and I didn't say you must agree with everything I said. Opinion is just an opionion. you have yours and I can have mine. And we all interpreted certain things a little different from one another and that's fine by me.

I didn't say Francis was not classy, however, I did feel he was diplomatic and attempted to say something that will make him a little more classy... and sometimes I just feel what he said to the media has more to do with his public image/perception in mind instead of expressing his true feelings.

15. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

As a mature man, you dont just boldly express all your true self before the media, do you?

KH

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Me too. By saying that he would disobey his coach and play anyway is "classy!?" Gloating about a preseason victory over the Rocket's benchplayers is "classy?!" Petty and immature seem more appropriate adjectives. I can hardly wait till Jan 24th. I am going to do my best to be there in person.

17. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

things like this just showed you why I love Rockets and why I dont' read sports articles written by so called experts. I live in New York. Trust me. when it comes to Basketball, and Houston Rockets, they have no respect. The media, the people outside of Houston, dont' respect Rockets at all. I got into so many fights because of it. Anyway, it's all in the past. I know how to control my emotions.

But, I guess what i'm trying to say here is that we, rockets fans, should never, never, give a **** about what they think about us, and the team 'casue you know they will take every chance they got to trash us.

BTW, I do think Francis tries too hard to be classy if u know what i mean.:p

18. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

That's actually kind of funny with the crappy teams they field year in and out (except the Yankees). They're just still bitter that they got to the Finals twice in the 90s and they lost to TWO DIFFERENT Texas teams.

19. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

let's the orlando media has their time. We will teach them who is their daddy in January!

20. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Yeah. People find any and every reason to talk about Francis on this board and criticize Houston for trading him. *sigh*