1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bud Adams bashes Houston!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch9495, May 11, 2000.

1. Clutch9495

Clutch9495 Member

i know this is sort of off the subject of rockets basketball, but i don't know if any of you guys caught sportscenter this morning. bud adams was showing off his two rings (he had one placed on both ring fingers). he then said that when he wins his third ring he would place it on his middle finger and say this one is for you houston (all the while flipping off the camera). all i have to say is that you a fat, classless, scum bag and hope you NEVER win anything ever again. GO HOUSTON TEXANS OR STALLIONS (or whatever it maybe)!!!

------------------

2. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Well we won't have to worry about that because they wil never win a superbowl.

But if they do I will be the first to voluteer to put that ring on my big toe and proceed to put my foot right up his ass!

It sure makes me feel good, as a Houstonian, to have stayed off the Titan bandwagon last year. No offense to those you who did.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

3. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I was a die hard Oilers fan. I am now a diehard Titans fan. I have nothing against the Titans as a team as the players had nothing to do with the move from Houston. Now Bud Adams on the other hand. He is a jerk that has no class whatsoever. Fortunately the organization has some real class acts starting with Coach Fischer and Bruce Matthews.

I think the Titans have a strong team that will only get better next year. I do not think last year was a fluke season for them. They have some young guns in Steve McNair, Eddie George on offense and the Freak on Defense!!

Can't wait till the NFL season starts!!!!

4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Actualy you miss quoted him, he said I will show it to the Houston Mayor(BoOb Lanier), not Houston. Most of his offices are still in Houston.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

IT HURTS ME TO SEE HOUSTON PPL ROOTING FOR THE TITANS!!!

I hate bud adams and I will never cheer for his team.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

All I have to say to "Butt" Assdams is, what comes around, goes around.

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

7. haven

haven Member

Not that this has any relevance to the rockets but...

I would LOVE to see Michael Vick (no # 1 draft pick two years from now) roasting the Oilers (oops... Titans) in the AFC championship.

Let's just hope this team goes the way of Jacksonville and not Cleveland...

------------------

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I wish we can land Michael Vick, the guy is a great player and is fun to watch.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Just drink some Samuel Adams

------------------

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

another reason to build the rockets an arena. les is a classy man who support charity etc. i could never see him being as classless as bud

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was not BUD's fault.

Bud offered to pay $75million out of his own pocket to help finance a new stadium.

He was turned down, and a new town offered to build one for free.

As a biz man, he took the cash. Right call IMHO.

How Bob Lanier gets away scott-free in this is amazing. He basically ran Adams and the Oilers out of town.

DaDakota

GO TITANS !!!

------------------

12. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I agree with da, as a kid I always thought it was buds fault but then when I started to look at it from a business standpoint it was 75% fault of Boob Lanier. I still hate Bud for what he did but he wasnt making any money and did what was best for him. Basicaly, Lanier never thought in his wildest dreams that Bud would leave and Boob got burnt. I live in California now and I have discused this with a LOT of sports fans and it comes down to Boob dropped the ball, but he doesnt get blamed for it? I guess thats just Texas politics for u..... see watson vs. les?!

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

the mistake with adams was made back in the 80's when he threatened to move the oilers to jacksonville...a lot of money (~60 million?) was put into renovating the astrodome for adams, which in turn ruined it for baseball in so much as it added around 20000 seats and took out the scoreboard...i don't remember if bud contributed anything out of his own pocket but in return harris county only got a 10 year lease

------------------

14. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Leaving all had to do with Butt Adams ego. If it was all about money, "or business", as some have said, he could have just sold the team to a Houston group and made like a 300,000% profit this investment (Oilers were not a bad deal financially). But he didn't care one iota about the fans that made his life as rich as it became, instead like a little kid, he just picked up his ball and went home (or to Nashville rather). I have zero respect for the man.

------------------

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sir Scar,

You could not be more wrong.

Bud Adam's lost money for several years with the Oilers. He was lambasted in the media, all the while brining in top talent like Warren Moon etc..etc.

He gets zero credit for brining HOUSTON a team in the first place.

Yes he threatened to leave to Jaxville...but be honest. The ASTRODOME sucked to watch a game, of any kind.

In order for Bud to compete, he needed a deal comparable to the deals that other teams were getting in other major cities.

The bottom line is that the Oilers/Titans are a business, and they have to compete. I hate the Oilers playing in Nashville, but I understand why they went.

Dadakota

------------------

16. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

DaDakota, I don't think I am wrong, I don't think you are taking a long term perspective. Butt may have lost a few dollars for certain years, but his like hundred thousand (if that) investment became worth like 200-300 million dollars. If his major issue was that he was losing a little money a couple of years, he could simply sell the team and make an incredible windfall.

But with Butt it wasn't about money. He thought the team was mine, mine, mine (and he was right in legal sense). He never thought about the Houston Oiler fans in the city and elsewhere that helped make his team worth 200+ million for him to sell (who in my mind where every bit as much of the Houston Oilers, though granted not in a legal sense). Instead the issue with Butt was about him being treated like a King like he thought he should be. It became personal, and he took his ball home. How many times did Butt demand this and that change to the Dome, how many times did he make terrible football decisions by being a putz owner. Despite all of his arrogance and poor decision making, until he moved the team he still had respect with much of Houston, I still have no respect for him and think he is one of the biggest sleezeballs.

------------------