1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.COM] Bloggin' From China: Kenny Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by r-fan-since-81, Oct 13, 2004.

1. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/china2004/blog_smith.html

Former NBA star, Inside the NBA analyst checks in from China
    Bloggin' From China: Kenny Smith

Kenny Smith
    Former NBA Star, TV Analyst
    He played for both the Kings and the Rockets, and he's an analyst on TNT's popular basketball show, "Inside the NBA." He's player-pundit Kenny Smith, and he'll be checking in periodically from China, where he's traveling with the Kings and Rockets.

Posted on Oct. 12, 2004 at 12:53 p.m. ET

International insights
    What a journey. This is my first time in Shanghai, and China, for that matter, and wow. We haven’t been able to do a lot yet because we’re still trying to get accustomed to the time zone difference but from what I’ve seen thus far, I’m really excited. It’s like taking things out of history books and being able to see them in person. It’s a great feeling. You see artifacts such as those on display at the Shanghai Museum and it says B.C. on them and it’s just mind boggling. What a cultural experience. I have my 11-year-old daughter Kayla with me and so far, this trip has been priceless.

E-mail photo | Buy photos

Clyde Drexler, Mel Davis, Bill Russell, Commissioner David Stern, Kenny Smith and Bob Lanier pose in front of the Chairman Mao statue in Shanghai, China.
    Jennifer E. Pottheiser
    NBAE/Getty Images
    We saw the Shanghai Acrobats perform earlier today after we visited the Bund, which is located along the Huangpu River and you can see Shanghai’s new business district, which has mushroomed within the last 10 years. No matter where you go in Shanghai, you can feel the energy all around you and the growth. It’s like this city is on the verge of being a New York.

A lot has been written about China back in the United States and since I’ve been blessed to travel a lot, what you notice is that people are people. Governments and political issues are so far to one side from the common person. Whatever you hear or see is always different. There is always someone who wants to have their son do well or there is always someone who just wants to say hello. It’s the same everywhere. That’s what is most mind boggling to me and a main reason why I brought Kayla. I wanted to show her that people everywhere are exactly the same, and share the same concerns, worries and insights.

I have a full schedule of more places to visit on Wednesday such as the French Concession and the Tour of Xintiandi, but as I look ahead to Thursday night’s game, I can tell you that I really don’t know what to expect. But what I do know is that there will be a lot of Rocket fans and a lot of Rocket red at the stadium. I’m eager to see the new-look Rockets featuring T-Mac and Yao. I always look forward to seeing the Sacramento Kings play, especially after the Peja "I want to be traded" remarks from this past summer. Plus, we haven’t seen Chris Webber play and reportedly there is some swelling in his knee. It will be fun to see what he looks like if he has an opportunity to play. To see all of those different things will be fun.

Who am I rooting for? Well, since I played for both the Rockets and Kings and I only won with the one, I have to place my the loyalties for the Rockets.

#1 r-fan-since-81, Oct 13, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what does blog mean?

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

It is short for "weblog" and has kind of become internet slang. A weblog is basically an online journal.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Classic. Spoken like a true New Yorker. One day, it'll be just like New York, assuming New York acquires 7 MILLION MORE PEOPLE!!! Nicely done, Jet. :)

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Where's the link?! :)

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Granted, the NYC metro area has quite a bit more people overall.

7. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

God I love Kenny Smith. I tell you, I am about 48 hours of free time away from starting a second fan club. Actually, the CBFC was almost the KSFC back in 1996, but Chucky actually called us to thank us, so he got the nod. But I tell you, KS is worthy of serious, serious fan club activity.

8. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

the man made some smart observations...props for taking his daughter

9. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

A former NBA STAR?!?!? Anywho, good article!

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

:D
    I can forgive his big apple attitude.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

No where near greater Shanghai area. 30 Mil all together counting temporary residents. That's more than 10% of whole us population. But nobody likes to live in a crowded city. So maybe jet meant if Shanghai could reduce its population by 7 mil, then it would be just like New York.

12. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

I agree. He is a Rocket through and through...he just confirmed that.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Kenny Smith had some good seasons :)

17.3ppg, 7.7apg in 88-89 (Crappy Kings team)

17.7ppg, 7.1apg, 52% shooting in 90-91 (Mediocre Rockets team)

Didn't he almost win a dunk competition once?

14. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

HA!!! Then the NBA has had many more stars than we think. LOL!!

15. Fichte

Fichte Member

Didn't Kenny hit 7 of 7 3 pointers in the first game of that '95 finals, turning what was going to be a 20 point blowout to an overtime victory for Houston?

Remember that sideways 3 pointer he made over Penny? :D

16. Fichte

Fichte Member

• Sorry, i meant to write: 20 point blowout loss:eek:

17. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

No he doesn't (IMHO). Don't you remember him sulking on the bench when Cassell was getting the meaningful minutes. Any player that sulk even when his team is winning does not deserve a fan club.

I don't hate the guy or anything, I remember him fondly just like OT, Jim Peterson, Pete Chilcutt, Allen Leavell, Chucky Brown (oh wait...), and others, but IMHO he is not fan club worthy.

I do love him on TNT though.

18. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I love him on TNT too.

I don't remember him sulking at all - did he ever b****? I dont recall. Here are some of my Kenny Smith memories:

1.) Game One, 95 finals. Like Vmax in Game of PHO in 1994, his 3rd quarter deluge of threes in one of the most startling one-man-momentum shifters in Rocket history. Horry got hot, and it was off to the races. Nver underestimate Kenny Smith's performance in Game One in the annals of Rocket history.

2.) KS coming off the bench vs. LA after being benched for Eldridge Recasner for two weeks, and burying four threes in the fourth to pick up the W. His first shot was so full of adrenaline he banked it in.

3.) His last Rocket game - in 1996, Rockets down 3 - 0 to Seattle, down 22 or something in the 2nd quarter. Rockets mount one of those amazing Rocket Mid 90s Comebacks™ where they are totally unconscious from the floor. Cassell is on fire, horry, hakeem - they rally to send it to overtime. Kenny and Chucky are going crazy, yelling, jumping up and down, standing on the bench, wearing their shooting shirts backwards, cheering like crazy from the bench. Going nuts when Cassell hits a three, etc. That was one of my favorite Rocket games ever.

19. PitydaFoo

PitydaFoo Contributing Member

During the 90-91 season, when Olajuwon was injured for 15-20 games, Kenny Smith really turned it up during that stretch. He wasn't really a 3-point shooter at that time, but he had a deadly 20 ft. jump shot and could also drive it in. The Rockets went from 20-20 to 32-24. Then Hakeem came back and they went on a 13-game win streak.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Those numbers look almost surreal to me. I started watching the Rockets in 92. And it always seemed to me like Smith couldn't hit a layup to save his life, whether on the fast break, or on rare occasions when he beats his man off the dribble. How the Hell does he ever average 17 a game?