1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

spam from C****hC**y.c*m

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Frinkster, Dec 16, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Frinkster

Frinkster Member

hey guys, I don't know about any of you but I am getting spammed from the fromer Clutch City site.

I guess maybe we should throw him a bone and visist the site but I don't know about you, I don't appreciate the spam so it's playing to his what he wants.

Clutch never had bugs to work out and never had to use email solicitation to get people to his site. The only email that I ever got was fromthe defunct mail list though I heard that I should have signed up for the mailing aboutg three weeks ago so I could have known about the site moving when it moved. Thank you clutch, you're a site of the people, by a person, and for the people! happy holidays.

2. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

I never registered over there. It's a good thing because I really don't need any extra junk mail!

Like I need a reminder to read about the Rockets!

------------------
    SpaceCity of
    RocketFuel

3. dream

dream Member

Frinkster -

This isn't the first time you've posted inaccurate information on this message board about the clutchcity.com site at Rivals.

Of course, I have no problem with you giving your opinion. I do, however, have a problem with you posting misleading information that borders on outright lies.

The ONLY way you would have gotten the newsletter from us is IF YOU SIGNED UP TO RECEIVE IT. Period.

It is an OPT-IN list and is never sent without explicit permission being granted to us via the newsletter submission form. Maybe you just forgot that you signed up for it.

Plus, the newsletter is NOT spam, nor a solicitation letter.

It is a recap for the Rockets past week, information on upcoming features, and other news that Rocket fans would be interested in reading. We've had nothing but (until now) overwhelming POSITIVE response to it.

The "bugs" you found such delight in mentioning were simply changes in the Rivals network wide template, which was inserting random apostrophe's within stories. It was cleared up within 4 hours. Not exactly life-threatening.

Since I can't seem to find your name (Frinkster), nor the e-mail you have listed in your profile here, in our database, please let me know what e-mail address the newsletter you received was sent to.

I would be most happy to remove you immediately.

If anyone else reading this post received the newsletter and does not wish to receive it, please drop me a note and we will also remove your name immediately.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Frank Swindle
    fas@clutchcity.com http://rockets.rivals.com
    ---

4. Frinkster

Frinkster Member

sorry still Frank but I never signed up. What on earth makes you think that I have only one email address?

Okay get all technical on what is spam and what is not but when i get the mail with 8 links to that site of yours I consider it unwanted mail. so there's a pc correct term for you.

why did you leave here and create all this confusion for yourslef, clutch, and the rest of the gang. it was working so well. Now there are adds and bugs and apostrophes, oh my, so how now, brown cow?

www.frankshouldntthrowhisweightaroundhereanymorehehasgothisownsitetodothatatjustaskrockhead.com

5. dream

dream Member

Frinkster -

I'm sure you do have multiple e-mail addresses - don't we all these days? Still, I really don't see what that has to do with my response.

My point in bringing that up was, that after reading your comments here, I diligently researched our entire database looking for either a user name or e-mail address that would match yours.

As I stated, none was found. So I asked you here, and in a separate e-mail sent to your profile address, to let me know how you received it, and that you would receive nothing further from us.

I have yet to receive an answer from you, which leads me to believe that either:

a.) You never really received the newsletter and are just trying to cause trouble.
    b.) You DID receive the newsletter and secretly enjoyed reading it and really don't want to UNSUBSCRIBE from it [​IMG]
    or
    c.) You're too embarrassed to let me know what e-mail address you used to subscribe, because it might then reveal your true identity, and not the throw-away one you use here in your profile on the UBB.

Of course, I hope the answer is B. [​IMG]

We've worked hard to make the new site at Rivals one that you, and other Rocket fans, would enjoy visiting.

The crew here has also busted their tails to do the same. There's no animosity between the two sites - times change, situations change - life goes on. After all, it's all about the Rocks, isn't it?

Each site has unique features and benefits, and provides you with some of the best NBA coverage you'll find anywhere on the net. So why are you complaining?

As far as being "too technical" in my definition of "spam", I must disagree with you. Most people would agree that spam is UNSOLICITED commercial e-mail.

An opt-in subscriber list or newsletter can rightly be called "unwanted" e-mail, but in no way can be called "spam". Usually there's a simple solution if you no longer wish to receive it. REQUEST THAT YOU NAME BE REMOVED.

Most of the time, legitimate sites will comply with your request immediately, as we offered to do. I hate to tell you this, but until we know how to remove your name, you'll continue to receive our newletter. [​IMG]

To answer your 'why did you leave here and create all this confusion?'; as I mentioned above, circumstances change all the time. We did what we felt was best for all concerned. We never thought we'd have to put it to vote or ask for opinions before deciding which course to take. Would you have in the same situation? I think not.

Look at it this way - you now have two choices in Rockets coverage that aren't mutually exclusive. You're free to visit either site, or both. Wow ... what a concept!

You're always welcome at the Rivals site, and in the past, I've always enjoyed reading your posts here on the UBB.

If you'd like to post that you absolutely hate the Rivals site, I'm OK with that.

Just lay off misleading posts that you and I both know aren't true.

---
    Frank Swindle
    fas@clutchcity.com
    rockets.rivals.com
    ---

[This message has been edited by dream (edited December 18, 1999).]

6. dream

dream Member

Frinkster -

Just exactly how am I "throwing my weight around here"? I have nothing to do with this site, unless you count being a registered member on the UBB.

The crew here is totally responsible for the .NET site, not me.

See what I mean about your habit of posting misleading information here? Well, 'there you go again', as Reagan would say.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

uh.... with all due respect, Frinkster, please don't throw my name into this fray...I have no comment on anything. =o)

thank you,
    rockHEAD

who's site has no message boards http://members.tripod.com/~HoustonRocketsFan

8. Frinkster

Frinkster Member

There you go again, Mr. Swindle crying that I am posting misleading information when I am certainly not. I am tired of your amateur efforts to make me look bad, usually I am good enough at that to not need any help.

Well, "I have seen Clutch City, and you, sir, are no Clutch City," as Bentsen might have said.

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is getting rediculous - Frinkster, just get off of the mailing list - it is not that hard.

10. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

yeah - that and I do not think trash talking between the sites is that fresh actually. Seriously, ragging CC.com - a site that is freaking devoted to the freaking rockets - is a waste of time. everyone will have their preference, its not like cc.com took anything away from cc.net content-wise. i think we can all deal with the three letter difference and coexist.

CBrownFanClub