1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pray for the Aggies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kim, Nov 18, 1999.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I was studying at McDonalds next to campus
    around 2:30am when I saw a bunch of cops
    speed by. They turned on to campus across
    the street to the bonfire sight. Bonfire
    was not there. It had collapsed with about
    25 people working on it at the time at
    "stack." Bonfire is a Texas A&M tradition
    that has been going on for over 75 years.
    Every year, thousands of hours of labor by
    the student body is put into making this
    special event happen. As we are approaching
    the Thanksgiving Day football game, the work
    load increases, and there are people out
    there 24hours a day. I can only thank God
    that it fell in the middle of the night
    instead of the day when there are hundreds
    of people out there. I also thank God that
    it wasn't my dorm's shift(which was 12-6am
    yesternight). But I am at a lost for words
    to truly express how tragic this is. As of
    now, there are 2 Aggies still burried under
    the wood pile, and they're tunneling to try
    to get them out. About 10 ambulences already
    have taken the others away. We have a few
    hundred people out there trying to help
    clean up. I just pray that everyone will be
    ok, and I ask for all of you to share a
    prayer if you can also.

Kim M.
    A&M c/o '03

------------------
    Oldest Junior Member on the BBS (since June '98)

2. The AP Article about the tradgedy.
    ----------------

Thursday, November 18
    Four students crushed while building bonfire

Associated Press

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- A 40-foot stack of logs being assembled for a Texas A&M pregame bonfire collapsed early Thursday while dozens of students were climbing on it. At least four students were killed and 25 were injured, university officials said.
    Officials were performing head counts at the university's residence halls in an effort to account for everybody who may have been working on the structure.

At St. Joseph Regional Health Center, spokesman Bill Hyer said there were reports that more students were still trapped in the structure's rubble, but he declined to release further details.

Twenty-five students were taken to hospitals, university President Ray Bowen said. He said four people died.

"The scene right now is a scene of disbelief," said Sallie Turner, editor of the Battalion, the student newspaper. "A lot of the students just feel it's surreal."

The bonfire is an annual tradition since 1909 to get students fired up for the big football game against archrival Texas. The large structure is built over the course of several weeks with multiple stacks of full-size logs put in place by cranes, tractors and crews of students.

The stack of logs would have topped 60 feet when completed; at the time of the collapse Thursday, it was perhaps two-thirds of that, or 40 feet high.

Students who build the bonfire get safety training in advance, Bowen said.

Charles Hill of Crockett told WBAP-AM that his son, Caleb, was on the stack when it fell.

"He happened to be very fortunate. He has only a broken arm and a broken nose. He fell about 50 feet," Hill said. "Caleb is very emotional and very scared. Being part of the tradition, he feels a responsibility for those who have been injured. In a sense his family has been hurt."

The Aggies are set to play Texas on Nov. 26, the day after Thanksgiving.

The bonfire ceremony usually features performances by the Aggie band, school cheers called "yells," and pep talks by administrators, football players and coaches.

But the project hasn't always been trouble-free: One stack collapsed in 1994, and a second was built and ignited.

The accident was the third disaster related to the 43,000-student Texas A&M this fall.

On Sept. 18, five people were killed in the crash of a plane used by the Ags Over Texas skydiving club, often used by Texas A&M University students and alumni.

On Oct. 10, six college students walking to a fraternity party about two miles west of the campus were killed by a pickup truck driver who had fallen asleep, police said. The victims were four students from Baylor University, one from Texas A&M and one from Southwest Texas State.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It's up to 9 now. God!!!

My prayers and thoughts are with the families.

Even though I went to SHSU. I actually went to one bonfire while in school. Those things were spectacular.

So sad....

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I am praying for everyone involved. I'm just really surprised this hasn't already happened in 90 years.

[​IMG]

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Does anyone know where names of the dead can be found??? I know a whole bunch of people at A&M..... they are the types who get involved with school traditions and such.

Anyone know?

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

this is truly a great tragedy and both aggies and longhorns are mourning greatly along with the rest of the country and world. they have been releasing the names of some of the dead and some of the injured on the newscasts. our prayers are with the victims and families

7. Ih8walton

Ih8walton Contributing Member