1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Alperen Şengün agree to 5-year, $185M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 21, 2024.

?

Do you like the deal?

This poll will close on Apr 21, 2025 at 4:48 PM.
  1. YES

94.2%
  2. NO

5.8%
  1. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member
    Supporting Member

They have a good union.

heypartner likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

And capitalism. Value is in rarity of talent rather than the level of contribution to society.

A lot of people want to be NBA players only a few make it. A lot of people like watching NBA players and with that comes a steam of revenue. The players have more leverage than executives and owners because their skillset is rarer.

highpost1388 likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Bruh go eat some lentil soup and go to bed.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

5. A00man

A00man Member

Green and Sengun partying tonight. Hope they take the team out in celebration. Great day for both of them!

Dobbizzle and raining threes like this.
  6. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Hopefully, both Sengun and Jalen contracts are valuable to trade in the near future. I'm not a believer these two players can make us contenders.
    If they're the cornerstone players, I see Jabari, Cam Whitmore, FVV, plus future draft assets being traded to bring in a game-changer player.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This is highway robbery for the Rockets considering other rookies are getting straight max extensions.

I'm glad both sides agreed on this. I hope Sengun can elevate his game in the next 2 years to become a franchise star.

highpost1388, IvanLCPM, Boii and 2 others like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure how trades are a weakness. The Harden trade was masterful. Most of the world thought he was an idiot for not trading for Ben Simmons - and look at it now. We came away with Tari Eason, Reed Sheppard, the 2027 Nets pick swap, and four unprotected picks from the Suns, which have, by the way, penciled us in as the favorite to land Devon Booker should the Suns blow it up.

How did we get Sengun? We traded for his draft rights. He bested Sam Prestie in a trade that night. People around here were critical of him for the Gordon deal too, but if you love Cam Whitmore, you love that trade too. Hell, he got a first rounder for Christian Wood. Many around here thought he should have gotten more, but is he even still in the league this season? I understand Stone has had some misses too, but they've been on relatively minor swings like the AJ Griffin move. I can't think of a trade he's made that has really hurt us.

Y2JT, cbass and Pringles like this.
  10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I don't think we'll see many NTCs after the disastrous Bradley Beal contract

Stephen_A likes this.
  11. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Well it looks like my Sengun jersey is good for a few more years.

#171 Xopher, Oct 21, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2024
  12. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

rumor spreading based on unfounded speculation? Nah, no way.

daywalker02 and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I don’t think Sengun is in either of these camps. He is in the ‘I am a max player but I’d rather guarantee my future and play my game without worrying about injuries starting now’ camp.

14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Christian Wood plays for the Lakers, he just had surgery.

The irony of Josh Christopher's superfan forgetting the fiasco of trades he made last off-season is palpable.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

it almost never happens for a reason

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. J Rock

J Rock Member

Love having Alpi locked up for less than max, which he could’ve gotten easily, on a team friendly contract.

17. RB713

RB713 Member

Does Senguns agent speak English? Dude just got robbed.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think we'll see players taking less than max more often than before. the 40 million after 180 is not that much valuable any more.

I think Sengun was just rational about his move and he knows he can perform his max when he signs the contract. There is no sacrifice on his end for the team. It is just his focus on basketball and desire to secure his future. I am almost sure he also doesn't give a sheet about what the other players signed for. Or even if he does, he will aim to show them he is the better one on the court.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

This is a great deal for both sides. We save money but give up a chance to pull off what the 76ers did with PG this summer. Al P gets his security and gets to recoup some $ with the 5th year player option. Fair for both sides. As long as Al P is satisfied, this is one of the best signings in franchise history.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. Holybats

Holybats Member

Good deal for both party. As 185 M would guarantee Alperen's life it is so understandable.