1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Alperen Şengün agree to 5-year, $185M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 21, 2024.

?

Do you like the deal?

This poll will close on Apr 21, 2025 at 4:48 PM.
  1. YES

94.2%
  2. NO

5.8%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. kjayp

kjayp Member

Reasonable for both sides I believe!

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Fantastic job for both Green and Sengun.

$35 and $37M respectively. Darn good negotiating.

13 in 33 and vince like this.
  4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I can't believe $37M/year is considered a "steal" for a not-yet-even-an-all-star player. The max is ridiculous... This is part of what makes it so hard to care about pro sports anymore. We pay too damn much for this kind of entertainment. I can only imagine how much money the owners are printing these days...

5. kjayp

kjayp Member

wait and u may have to pay the max...

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do you think Franz Wagner and Cade Cunningham are better than Sengun?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Tempington

Tempington Member

Does this mean we will not have a tall athletic lob threat at starting 5? :'(

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

What does that have to do with my post?

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not paying, it's not my money anyways. We will be operating over salary cap doesn't matter what he makes after that.

We could sign Naz Reid perfect complement for him and max him in summer,

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank you Mr. Şengün

13 in 33, Two Sandwiches and jch1911 like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

They got full max deals.

12. kjayp

kjayp Member

idk i think its a calculated gamble...
    pay him now - or wait until the end of the season and pay 40M more for the same duration... whether or not we operate above the cap can change over the course of the next 4 years... 40M in potential savings is what it is... and while no, its not my money... i think the GM is prob acting in the best interest of the team I support... so im gonna say its a good thing! ;) lol

DaDakota likes this.
  13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Again, not relevant to my point.

$37M is too damn much to pay for a guy to dribble a basketball unless they're Jordan or Lebron. How are pro baller max salaries and caps increasing by so much every year when most people are lucky to get a cost of living increase at work? Maybe I'm just slowly turning into a jaded old man, but jesus I don't want to be contributing to this insanity anymore.

(But again, to be clear, I would rather the money go to the players than the owners -- I can only imagine how much money the owners are making today)

14. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Funny you say that, because in Sengun's case, we had to trade for him as OKC drafted him. I think trading EG to move up 10 spots in the 2023 draft was a savvy move that allowed us to move up and draft Cam.

But yeah, I agree with you to an extent, I would've liked us to extract more value from our other 1st rounders like Tyty, Josh Chris, Garuba. At the end of the day, neither of those guys are impactful NBA players so maybe they didn't have much value to begin with. We tossed around 2nd rounders like Halloween candy for a couple years, no big deal. A few of those 2nd rounders got us Steven Adams, who I expect to make a sizeable impact this season.

Overall, I'd say his trades have been a net positive with Sengun, a franchise star player, carrying most of that weight.

cbass likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, like it or not, they are making money off of us fans. If nobody cared about NBA basketball, they wouldn't be making those kinds of money. And the fact that we are posting on this site means that we do care.

And your point can be applied to basically all kinds of star entertainers.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Wow. Great job by FO. I was not expecting either anytime soon, let alone both on the same day prior to season starting. Was definitely worried one or both would hold out for a max.

curious to know how this looks cap wise in 3-4 years, hopefully when these guys are in their prime and we’re legit perennial contenders.

can’t wait for Wednesday!

vince likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I love how these deals set the tone for negotiations with all 5 remaining core players.

I feel like Udoka has played a role in bringing that culture of brotherhood and sacrifice to the Rockets as well. Could very well lead to a decade of title contention.

I told y'all not to worry about doomsday scenarios. They rarely ever happen.

Y2JT, Williamson, IvanLCPM and 3 others like this.
  18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yes, I agree on all counts lol, but I think my point still stands -- we shouldn't care quite as much. This is just more motivation for me to further distance myself from this particular form of entertainment. And I don't think I'm being too hypocritical, as I barely watch movies or TV, either, heh (though I certainly haven't cut them out totally).

I promise I'm not a bummer at parties... Though I would totally go on this rant after some whiskey and someone bringing up the latest Luka extension or something.

cbass and Easy like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

But you are happy with paying Jalen 35 a year?

20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

God no. Nor am I happy with how much Cade or Franz whoever made.

AroundTheWorld likes this.