1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets sign Ryan Bowen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by runninhorns, Sep 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

I agree its going to be a strong defensive team and JVG will probably have Ryan Bowen as the anchor of the press defense out there. Also someone said we now have with Mcgrady and Bowen long tall guys who can feed Yao the ball. I agree with him. These guys both have physiques similar to Horry who was Hakeem's number one post feeder at times. To have to guys with the ability to see over the top of fronting defenses and give timely passes is going to make a big difference when guys try to front Yao.

2. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Agree on all points except maybe Padgett being a SF. He might have played that position with Utah but he looked too slow during the time he spent on Houston.

About the PG situation, I think R. Gaines can also compete for 3rd string duty.

3. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

who is zimmmerman?

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Definetly spot duty I agree. But if Boki can't hit the 3s even adequately (we know Bowen can't) and the most important thing we need a given time in the 3 spot is a guy to spread the floor offensively, might as well try Padget there.

I have about 1/3rd the confidence in Gaines that I have in Boki. And I think Boki is a 50/50 proposition. Unless someone Gaines finds a jumpshot, finds a handle, and/or finds some discipline, he is resigned to an IR spot as far as I am concerned. I not saying he couldn't work out as an important role player or more at some point (we will know if he starts tearing it up during practices), but he is closer to a long shot than a solid prospect.

5. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

who in the world is zimmmerman>?

6. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

some one tell me please...

7. AMS

AMS Member

Its called google... or you could just OPEN THE THREAD ABOUT him.

8. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

shut up u idiot,

9. AMS

AMS Member

look man, im not the one who cant find a thread that is 2 down from the one you posted in. jack ass. its not that hard, its people like you who lower the enjoyment level of this forum...

10. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

HAHA im new in this joint , so dont hate playah , why u getting all mad for dude , all i did was just asked one little question and u just tripping... calm down playah and grow up

11. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

jeez ignorant people these days....

12. AMS

AMS Member

right i pointed you in the right direction, and you call me an idiot. :rolleyes:

plus looking at your date of registration, i thought you woulda known about looking for threads....

13. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Please.

This is a guy to fill out the roster...not take Boki's spot. Ryan Bowen is a hustle player that can play some defense but he is in no way starting materiel nor is he a threat to take Boki's spot on this team. Bowen will be lucky to see action in more than 40 games this year.

There is absolutely no doubt that JVG expects and will give Boki the chance to take on a much bigger role on the team this year. If Boki does not take the next step then it certainly will have nothing to do with anyone like Bowen that has almost zero offensive skills at all.

I like the signing because I think Bowen is a good guy to have at the end of your bench but lets not blow his signing out of proportion.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

JiggajAMzZ and adeelsiddiqui, check out the middle link (in VIOLET, PURPLE, PUCE, or whatever the f* color that is) of this page... it's for both of you... you guys shake hands, now, ya' hear? http://www.arbitration.com/

15. AMS

AMS Member

sorry man...

16. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

i may have missed the post, but i haven't seen much mention of Boki getting playing time at the 4. His most famous moment as a ROX is when he b****-slapped Malone and he was guarding Malone straight up and frustrating him. Granted he played 5 minutes with 4 fouls, it was against the king of flop who you can't touch when you guard and there were some questionable calls there. i think he can see time against the athletic 4's Cato had trouble with and MoT never gets anywhere near and i think he can be effective. You have Dik and Spoon to come in against the plodders and bangers and Boki should see time here against the small quick 4's. it makes for one versitile lineup when everyone can play multiple positions.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

This team is not built without Yao or Tmac. We cannot afford to lose either of them to injuries. Without Tmac, well, we played Yao without SF last year in Phoenix last year after superbowl, it was misrable. Yao couldnt do it himself like shaq, of course that will change. Without Yao, we are Houston Magic in the west minus drew gooden. Deke cant play more than 15 minutes a game.
    We only got two stars, very good ones, that's all. Lakers without Shaq wasnt the same lakers.

18. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

What is he for? We have a dude named Boki and Padget, if anything get another center or a shooting guard. Quit cramping the same positions so eventually were lookig at palyer playing out of position.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

IIRC, they are doing away with the "Injured Reserve" since so many teams just made up these phantom injuries to keep 15 guys on the roster.

20. xiki

xiki Member

Why do you say this? (Particularly as an 'absolutely'?)