1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

does Yao worth the Max contract if...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hard Rock, Sep 28, 2004.

?

would you sign Yao to Max contract if he tops potential at 18.5/10/2?

1. Yes, no matter what #s he puts on, 2nd best center worth the Max, plus he fills the seats

313 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No, trade him for whatever deal that can make this team better.

39 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

ok, I know everyone here loves Yao, including myself. I'm talking about next season, Yao's 3rd, if he improves "a little bit", let's say 18.5pt/10reb/2blk, certainly not a Max player's #, should we still offer him the Max contract just for his marketing value? I know some GMs gonna still be carzy for Yao and we won't get him resigned for anything less than the Max, but if you find out 18.5/10/2 are the most Yao can get you would you sign him to the Max anyway or prefer to S&T him for some proved Max players like J. O'Neal? ok, don't get me wrong, I wish Yao the best, and I know he's already the 2nd best center anyway, and I know T-Max comes in to play with Yao. just assuming "IF" he reached his potential at 18/10/2 what we gonna to do; sign a very good Chinese center to Max contract for marketing purpose and loyoty or trade him for some deals like 1.) J. O'Neal straght up 2.) Dirk+cash (you get cash when dealing with Cuban no matter what) or Yao+Howard for Dirk+Damiper 3.) Brand+a top 5 pick 4.) Miller+BJax 5.) Camby+A. Miller ... why the other teams doing this? Yao at 18/10/2 isn't great and won't get you a title but still a very good center who makes huge profit for your business.

2. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

myself can't make a decicion, hope it won't be the case. :(

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yao's a capable player who continues to get better on defense and shot selection. Bill Russel was known more for the number of rings he had than the averages he got per year.

4. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

5. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Every team in the league would pay Yao the max. If they had the room or could work out a fair trade, EVERY LAST team in the league would get Yao.

6. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Rox will be stupid no paying him Max......:confused:

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That would be the worst mistake the Rockets can do not payin him the max after all he has already done for the rockets as far as ticket sales and marketing the Rockets everywhere. He has to stay a Rocket and they know it too.

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I bash Yao half the time I post in here for playing timid. Irregardless, right now I think he is worth the max.

9. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Give yao the max, that's what you have to do.:eek:

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

The NBA is a business first.

Yao happens to be our best product for marketing. So even if his #'s aren't max deserving, you still have to pay the guy. After signing Yao we went from having a few million fans to having a few billion fans.

IMO, even if Yao knows he doesn't perform well enough to earn max money, Team Yao would still want it for all the money and media attention he brings to Houston.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I voted trade him as a joke... I thought I would be the only one

... but there are 8 more of you out there (at last count) - who may not have been joking

:confused:

12. vincejas

vincejas Member

I would give him the max whether or not he average 18/10/2. As long as the rox are in the play offs, are perennial title contenders and crowd drawers, im going to bite the bullet. Besides, with Tmac around, he doesnt have to be that heavy scorer. And hes smart enough to pick his spots. But i personally beliv that hes going to top that in his third year in the league. Expect yao a 20/11/2.5 player. A second team all nba and hopefully along with tmac a strong contender for this year's mvp.

13. never

never Member

hm... i always click "Yes" accidently:mad: whenever i read "YAO MING":p

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. cody

cody Member

if we don't sign yao to the max, EVERY single team out will definetly try to. He wont be on the market for 2 days without the max being thrown his way left and right.

16. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

If this, if that. Do you really believe your "if" would come true?

If Francis played like Kevin Johnson, we wouldn't have traded him.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao would have to regress significantly for him, over at least 2 years, for him not to get the max from the Rockets. Even if Yao plays badly next year, the Rockets have another year(they picked up his option) to see how he does. And if he still sucks in his 4th year, then the Rockets can simply not match any offers other teams would make.

Of course, even if Yao peaks at 18/10 a game, he's still more than deserving of a max contract. After all, Magloire and his 13/10 is worthy of an all-star appearance, and Dampier and his 12/10 is worth a 5-year/$75 mil contract. Yao can probably get T-Mac money on the market if it weren't for the CBA holding his contract down.

19. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I guess it is difficult to confuse DESERVE with SHOULD. To deserve a max contract, it would depends on how he get his 18/10/2. If he plays like a p***y, misses 60% of his shots, gets trash boards and points in garbage minutes, he doesn't deserve it. But if he plays hard, anchors the defence (which to his credit, he does already) and draws triple teams (which explains his 18 PPG) then he definitely deserves it. Although, as people pointed out already, 29 teams would be chasing after him whether he deserves it or not, which is where SHOULD comes in.

PS. Since Yao is already an 18/9/2 player, I would think it's virtually impossible for him not to get more than 18/10/2 unless he busts his knee or something.

20. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

If Rockets don't offer the max; the next team will.