1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Radio LEGEND and ICON Gene Peterson passes away at 83

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 24, 2024 at 12:57 PM.

1. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Memory eternal.

truly THE voice of the Houston rockets.

Believe It! and persian hoopa like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

3. Rockets34Legend

4. phasors28

phasors28 Member

5. BleedsRocketRed

Damn.
    This one really hurts inside. Spent the majority of my adult life listing to him and Jim on 740. Damn, my nostalgia heart strings are feeling this one.

RIP Gene, how sweet it was.

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

Well, I call bs on tellman. From the stories Ive gathered from his daughter, theyve treated him like a red headed step child after his career was done. No backstage passes at the game, no free tix to the game, nothing.

8. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Some of his calls are core memories for me and millions more Rockets fans. Rest well Gene I’m sure there are a bunch of departed Rockets fans that want to hear him do play by play of this new generation of Rockets greats.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I grew up listening to him and Jim - patterned my radio calls on his......great great announcer.

DD

persian hoopa likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Member

For those who didn’t witness it. This wasn’t regular season.

It was 1994, Game 4 in a WCF game.

#30 heypartner, Jul 24, 2024 at 2:38 PM
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2024 at 2:46 PM
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They been screwing us since 1994

12. BMoney

BMoney Member

Oh, this is sad news. Gene and Jim were such a vital part of Rockets basketball. I think of their calls as much as many of the players. RIP.

KelvinCato13 and persian hoopa like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I was just about to post this video. You beat me to it.

14. fattz

fattz Member

“From right to left”

He made a difference in many lives.

javal_lon and Believe It! like this.
  15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Man I grew up on him and Milo Hamilton , listening with my grandfather ... I used to yell " dipsy doodles it up for 2" in the backyard on my layup attempts... Loved that he made me visualize the plays on radio ..

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

How sad it is…

Condolences.

18. Nook

Nook Member

"Backing it up -backing it up-backing up - double- spin left - lanes it up and in." - Gene Peterson.......... and NBA basketball between 1990-2002

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Thats the 8th foul on Malik Rose tonight but only the 3rd one they've callled

20. across110thstreet

A true icon, Houston legend, and one of the most talented radio personalities of all time across all sports.

My Gene Peterson story that I have never told in detail on this website; Pardon the rambling in advance.

He used to play golf at the same club as my Dad and they had become friends over time. This was in the 90s during and after the Championship years. My Dad said you would always find him in the clubhouse playing cards with the other members after a round of golf.

When I moved away from Houston in 1996, GP would give us tickets to games in San Antonio (before the Spurs won their titles), Nets when they were still in New Jersey, and the Clippers at Staples Center.

We would never ask, he would always just offer them knowing where I was living at the time. Sometimes it would be preseason games. He would go out of his way beyond what should be expected of a media personality. He would even apologize for not being able to get the big ticket requests vs the Knicks or Lakers, etc.

He was the nicest guy ever. I would make sure to see him in the media booth and thank him for the tickets and he would ask how my Dad was doing.

In his last season calling games, I visited with him one last time while the Rockets were playing the Clippers. I had purchased my own tickets for that game but I made sure to find him and visit him. Even then he remembered me and asked why we didn’t reach out in advance for tickets. I thanked him for all of the offers over the years and congratulated him on a legendary career.

A younger Craig Ackerman was sitting by his side as his assistant, and we were in a timeout or halftime break and had a nice conversation. I could tell that Craig knew there was a personal connection because Gene was asking me about my family and how I was doing on the West Coast. That was the last time I ever talked with him and it was over 15 years ago, In the 2008 season.

Jim Foley came back for the last game of that season so they could call one last game together- Jim and Gene.

Ackerman held his mentor in the highest regard, knowing he could never fill the shoes of a legend, but learning from one of the best…

I am so grateful that I got to be the recipient of this great man’s kindness and generosity.

How Sweet It Is, the life he lived.

May he Rest In Peace.

htownrox1, Little Bit, Easy and 10 others like this.