1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBall IQ - where do you see our players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 22, 2024 at 9:57 AM.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think BBall IQ combined with skill usually results in very productive players. When you get athleticism too you get superstar players.

So for me, here is where I rank our core 7 in BBall IQ.

Players with Very high BBall IQ

1. Reed
    2. Sengun
    3. Amen

Decent IQ - needs work.
    4. Bari
    5. Cam

Low IQ -
    6. Tari
    7. Jalen

I think it is clear you build around those top 3, and you fill in with others - and you add hustle players like Tari and Cam to change pace, but they aren't max players - at this time.

Other high IQ players on our team

FVV
    Jeff Green
    Adams

Decent IQ
    Tate
    Nate
    Brooks

How do you guys see it?

DD

solid, Junebball, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tari has high BBall IQ. Excellent instincts, especially defensively.

Other than that, yes.

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think Cam is the lowest. Tari is just not talented on some ends, not an iq thing. Hard to judge Bari.

Top 2: Reed, Sengun
    3- Amen
    last - Cam

others somewhere between Amen and Cam

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't see Cam that way, I see great instincts, but I see bad habits......he plays like a young aggressive man - just needs to chillax and learn when to go 100 and when to go 80......but I can see your point too.

DD

Sen89 likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

Cam easily has the lowest and yes I know he is young. He simply doesn't understand the team concept yet.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Against my better judgement I'll take the bait:

1. Sengun

Most pro experience. Very polished. Reads half court sets really well. Knows where his teammates are at all times. Extremely craft footwork.

2. Amen

IQ on offense not as high as Sengun but is a smarter defender than Sengun. That shooting stroke has to knock off some iq points. But ya he processes quickly. More than anyone below him on this list at least.

3. Reed

Very undetermined. I was willing to not include him on the list at all because he hasn't played a NBA game yet. NBA games will have smaller windows for passes. Harder to separate from defenders etc. So we'll see if it translates

4. Jalen
    Best ball handler of the group. Can navigate a pnr offense with high usage with above league average efficiency. That requires IQ in things like screen navigation. Can playmake for others better than anyone below him on his list by a wide margin. Low IQ defender though improved this season

5. Jabari

Not asked to do much complex things on offense so he's not utilizing much IQ on offense. Though he might have the highest IQ on defense on the team.

6. Tari

It's hard to compare the last two. Tari is a pure energy high motor guy with good athletic traits which means he is everywhere in the court. Kinda a headless chicken on offense though. A supped up Corey Brewer maybe. But I'll put him higher than Cam because he understands what he needs to do on the team more

7. Cam

His strength and athleticism is carrying him through right now. Averages more turnovers than assists. Someone has to be last and he's the most obvious choice.

#6 fchowd0311, Jul 22, 2024 at 10:20 AM
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2024 at 10:32 AM
    joshuaao, vince, Rocketeer and 2 others like this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Great post DD! Reminds me a lot of something I just posted Friday on page 737 of the Alperen Sengun is the Rockets Real Franchise Player Thread.

Got to build around the brightest guys. For Rockets the high IQ guys are:

Alperen Sengun
    Amen Thompson
    Reed Sheppard

Those should be the Big 3.

The next tier IQ is:
    Jabari Smith Jr
    Tari Eason
    Cam Whitmore

Finally:
    Jalen Green

The Rockets are SO DAMN LUCKY to get to choose between that much young talent to build around. Take your time Stone and choose wisely.

#14729 Friday at 9:15 AM

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

cam has shades of stromile swift genius.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bbiq is not that hard to acquire. See lane, see teammate ahead, see defense is not set, move the ****ing ball.

Ime needs to start teaching these basic fundamentals.

fattz likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's pretty clear that guys like FVV, Sengun, Amen, and Reed are the high BBIQ guys on the team and guys like Cam and Jalen basically share half a brain cell combined.

The exact ranks are kind of irrelevant IMO.

fattz, hajkov, jayhow92 and 6 others like this.
  11. meh

meh Member

This goes against his scouting report coming out of college, as Giovony reported that he dropped so far in the draft because he didn't remember or run plays. I don't pretend to know how much of that has improved if at all in the NBA, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge he's a high BBIQ player as of right now.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't think Tari is a high BBIQ guy, he's a high motor guy, but that's not the same thing.

Red.Glare, NewAge and DaDakota like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Member

Except he ****ing played D from the get go ... ya know a team oriented concept.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Alpi and Amen are clearly on top. Not really debatable. Amen has an edge because he's smart on both ends of the floor, but Alpi is getting there on defense.

Jalen and Jabari are somewhere in the middle.

Cam and Tari are on the bottom with Cam dead last. Both guys make some really bad decisions on a regular basis.

We'll see about Reed. Seems likely he'll be above-average or better.

fattz, HardenReturns and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I guess it depends on whether you would include defensive instincts in "basketball IQ".

Stephen_A likes this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Cam is undeniably the lowest. I'd swap Jalen and Cam from your list and that's about where I'm at. Agree with the rest.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

You think Tari has higher bball IQ?

He dropped down because he has issues doing things like inversing sets in his head. He's an ultimate hustle guy with good athleticism. But high IQ?

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No? DD has Tari in the low IQ list. I said I agree with that, leave him there.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Obviously you would. Why not?

Stephen_A and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. conquistador#11

The better question: Can BBall IQ improve as you age or will arrested development kick in?
    I'd like to present Shawn Marion as my evidence.
    "While he has the size to see the entire floor, Marion does not yet know the game and does not make good decisions all the time."

Mr. Jay Bilas of ESPEN in 1999.

20 years later and the narrative changed.

Our players are too much of gym rats to not improve their Bball intelligence.