1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oakland Relocation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

raining threes and Nick like this.
  2. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

“According to sources, the team has informed as many as 50% of their non-baseball operations staff that they will be out of work starting Oct. 31,"
    What about the World Series? There's always a chance, right? ;)

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

As much as I'd like to see them stick in the area, it's not a very viable park. I can't believe they are playing there. The team will share a 10,000 permanent seat stadium (14,000 including lawn seats) with the Giants' AAA affiliate. They're switching to a synthetic turf because too many games would kill the grass. The summer heat in brutal (119 couple weeks ago) so they will be playing night games during the summer. It's really not a viable site without a new park in Sac, or serious renovations to the current one.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

I'm just enjoying the sh!tshow of the A's "move" [pretty sure @MadMax is there with me]. It'll be fun if/when they end up in Vegas in their new "proposed" 28K seat stadium and the fans realize ownership isn't spending much more money than they did in Oakland (it's a total real estate play by the Fishers and their mythical financiers)....it'll be Tampa (now officially once again building a new stadium in St Pete) all over again.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

I get the schadenfreude about Fisher. But it's pretty shitty for the fans. It reminds me of the way the city of Houston dealt with threats from the Rockets and Oilers and Astros to leave for greener pastures in the late 90s and early aughts. Luckily, we kept two of three, and upgraded football franchises, besides.

Too bad for the Oakland fans that they've lost all three major league teams in a short period of time. They're unlikely to have any replacements coming their way. The Warriors are still in the Bay Area, and it looks like the As will stay in NorCal for a few years.

6. Buck Turgidson

What "fans" where?

raining threes likes this.
  7. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Oakland As fans. And Oakland Raiders fans, etc. I thought that was obvious. Or maybe you're being "funny" and it's over my head.

8. Buck Turgidson

I thought you were talking about VEGAS sports fans :)

I don't know how tall you are though, so...?

9. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Member

:D:D:D. Some quotes from the article:

“At the meeting, A’s executive Sandy Dean laid out the financing details for the new ballpark. By “details,” of course, we mean unmitigated horseshit.”……

“Confirmed: The A’s don’t have lenders who are actually lending. The A’s are claiming multiple financial institutions are excited to lend the A’s $300 million, but excitement isn’t money. Excitement can sometimes result in money, like at strip clubs, but at strip clubs, there’s a viable business model.”

“The A’s have yet to provide anything concrete related to this ongoing quagmire. The renderings are ridiculous, the financing is foggy and the team is playing in Sacramento for three years. You know, to start building that Las Vegas fanbase.”

“Confirmed: The A’s don’t have investors investing. They hope to, but if they had investors, we’d have heard about them. No smart investor is going to contribute $850 million (or any portion thereof) based upon some magical future projected value of the team. That value is a complete fabrication (just like projections of 28,000 fans attending every game), as is the assertion there are a number of interested investors. The A’s even hired a high-powered firm (Galatioto Sports Partners) to find investors, but none have surfaced. Not one.”

Just say no to Sucramemto though. There are better options out there, even for The A’s

MadMax likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

allons tous à Montréal

11. MadMax

MadMax Member

A gag order on developers in Oakland talking about ways to get a ballpark built there because Manfred and MLB don’t want to look bad is just wild if that’s what’s going on here

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Member

Shocking! They’re not handling a franchise relocation well?!?

Manfred has had more bad than good under his tenure… to the point that if franchise values ever start to decline, or tv/internet money ever goes down, or the players union bends the owners over backwards on the next CBA, there’d be no reason for the owners to retain him.

But the game somehow continues to be profitable. They set another attendance record last month. The streaming stuff is only going to further explode. Eventually they’ll get the RSN’s to bend over as well.

Sorry for the multiple bend over references… not Freudian….

MadMax likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Vegas deserves better. The A's are a cluster ****. Although they have been better than I thought they'd be this year...

raining threes likes this.