1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There are exceptions for everything. :p

Confession: I almost stopped rooting for the Rockets when we had Pippen.

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of did. The late 90's to mid 00's I had the least amount of free time in my whole life plus I was really pissed of at the Barkley trade.

If I happened to catch a game, fine, if I didn't catch any of them, just as fine.

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

Barkley brought me to the Rockets. I was at an age where I'd just started watching basketball and loved the guy.

TimDuncanDonaut and astrosrule like this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Member

I never considered this was even possible

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Same. When i was a kid i loved Barkley and Hakeem, 96 when charles got traded here is when i became a full rockets only fan

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was a big fan of Sam Cassell and Robert Horry at the time.... and I was also young enough and dumb enough to still buy into the "ringz" type arguments against Barkley.

Also, and more importantly, I felt Olajuwon's style and Barkley's style would be incompatible.

So I kind of started out with a negative view on it and never changed my mind

clutchdabear and Believe It! like this.
  7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

Even I can admit it was a bad trade. :D

They never found another point guard and that Horry dude just kept winning championships.

clutchdabear and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Member

OTOH, they were trying to get past the Sonics, their playoff nemesis. They did with Chuck and got back to the WCF. They just had to give up part of their advantage against Utah to do it…and Utah started playing their best basketball. Styles make fights.

9. Rockets34Legend

10. Put You On Game

Damn Jalen's draftmates getting the bag.....He's gotta feel some type of way

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just another day at the Front Office.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Clock is ticking until he and Alpi feel disrespected.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is really more relevant in the Sengun thread since Sengun has actually earned a new contract.

cml750 likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

You got no comeback, you lost already. Congratulations.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah he should feel bad about his subpar 3 seasons compared to everyone else

Bobbythegreat, Little Bit and Denovo like this.
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Jalen Green games over 30 pts: 37
    Cade, Mobley, Barnes, Suggs (ie, the rest of the top 5 in his draft) games over 30 pts: 33
    Rest of the top 10 (adds in Wagner, Williams, Giddey, Kuminga & Mitchell) : 47

Yeah you're right, I'd definitely consider it subpar to only be better than the 4 other top guys in a draft as opposed to the whole top 10 (even that's pretty close tbh considering it's ****ing 9 versus 1.) Bear in mind, Jalen's role has always supposed to be "scorer." Seems like he's the best choice in the draft for that. Y'all aint like the truth though.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

37 30 point games is great and all ..... but that's out of three years and 225 games.

If a 30 point game is the mark of greatness, he's great in 16.4% of the games he plays. What about the other 83.6%

Just this past season he accumulated more games (43) shooting .169 or lower from distance than he did games scoring over 30 in his combined 3 seasons.

clutchdabear and Downtown Sniper like this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Wow so many points, much impressive. I wonder how much his efficiency improved since his rookie season as a scorer.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-30-point-games-before-turning-22-years-old

To be fair, only 8 guys in league history had this many or more 30 pt games before turning 22.

I know.... Eras and all. But that doesn't account for 100% of it. Some of it definitely is Green having a high ceiling as a scorer.

Guys under 22 in the NBA usually suck. Guys under 22 with a lot of talent but haven't figured out the game yet have high variance between all-star level performances and gleague scrub level performances. And then you got the wounderkins like Luka or Lebron.

If you look at the top 20 in this list, Jalen Green, Paolo and Wiggins are by far the worst players in terms of careers(Green's is still get early in his career). So it's hard to be a fluke on this list.

From Jalen's body of work up till year three, he most likely will make one all-star appearance in his career. Maybe not for the Rockets but I think it's a safe bet he'll at least make one.

Edit: on that list of the top 25 players with the most 30 pt games before age 22, Green and Paolo are the only players to not have a all-star appearance and obviously both are early into their careers.

So ya, it's safe to say Green will probably have at least one all-star appearance in his career.

#3459 fchowd0311, Jul 21, 2024 at 1:36 AM
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2024 at 1:51 AM
  20. Downtown Sniper

His mind is on what other random female he can go have yet another kid with.

I'm starting to worry his non-max contract won't be enough to shell out for all the child support he's about to be hit for in the coming years.