1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reed Sheppard is the Rockets’ Franchise Player™

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2024.

?

Do you like the selection of Reed Sheppard?

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2024 at 7:23 PM.
  1. YES

93.5%
  2. NO

6.5%
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Love it!

cml750 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree, on his handle and at 20 he has time to improve and adjust to the higher level competition. He's been able to get his shot off against tight coverage, but I'd imagine he'll have to adjust to bigger and quicker jumpers (had a jumper blocked the other night).

Where I don't agree is the 3&D point. He's demonstrated at every level he has a solid mid-range game and can finish at the rim. I didn't realize how good his mid-range game was until watching these SL games. I see a little mix of Booker, Price and CP3 in this aspect of his game.

Also, agree he's in the perfect situation to apprentice behind FVV and continue to work on his game as he adjust to the higher level competition. I'm hoping we scheme him for open baseline 3s because that's something we haven't seen in SL, but I think he'll make other teams pay in regular season with Alpi, Amen, and FVV finding him open.

Nook likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

They got **** blocked by ATL, HOU and CHA.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

They we're crushed when we took Reed and didn't want the other Kentucky guard.

cml750, clutchdabear, Entropy and 2 others like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Is Reedsanity over?

Fullcourt, NewAge and fckbandwagons like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nix the Sheppard stopper. Comical.

Silas didn't see that coming.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Reed getting Nixed

8. meh

meh Member

In terms of him being a PG who can just direct offenses? Yeah those projections are looking a lot iffier with this performance. I am still confident he can be some facsimile of a JJ Redick in his prime, which was my original comp back when the Rockets moved up to 3rd. Whether he can be more than that, time will tell.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nope.

Snow Villiers and cml750 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He also shot like shet in the last games, the NBA level is astonishingly different.

If you are just a baby face with good mechanics that's not enough to be compared to the Davidson guy.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

As long as he is more 4x all-star Mark Price than Matt Maloney, I'm happy.

GotGame15 and bcast89 like this.
  12. meh

meh Member

His shot creation ability is definitely not at the level of even Davidson Curry. But tbf Davidson Curry was also a Junior. No one can predict development, but at least for next year he should be more of an off-ball guy in the offense.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15 minutes should be cool to go.

C. put Davidson on the map, Shepp was just another player for Kentucky like Dillingham or Demarcus Cousins.

He had great shot efficiency but the NBA postseason is an efficiency killer.

Does he show eliteness in everything else besides shooting? This will haunt him.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Your 15 minutes of fame are up Reed “Turnover” Sheppard!

#1736 robbie380, Jul 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
  17. ClutchCityReturns

Reed isn't the shifty, explosive athletic freak who's necessarily going to excel in these glorified pickup games with their loose play and bad spacing. He obviously looked great in the first couple, but it's not surprising to see him struggle a bit since. As much of a black hole as Cam is, it was very beneficial for Reed to have him out there to take some of the attention and be an outlet.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

What I saw tonight encouraged me, Reed out there playing with high school AAU players that are greedy and create no spacing while getting double teamed, yet still he managed to do decent. Just imagine him playing with our squad getting the proper spacing and the ball back to shoot 3's. Gonna be crazy good.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He scored 20 points with 7 assists, and would have had several more had his teammates not been scrubs. But hey, go on, weirdo.

20. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I love the way he played. Knew his legs were tired so didn’t force 3 pointers. Mid range game and inside scoring is good. Playing with real team players will benefit as he will get open mid range shots and not be guarded by players with game plan to stop you.

He will need to work on dribbling and securing ball or else he won’t see playing time. He will need to make better strong passes. His IQ on passes are good but just doesn’t have strength and zip to them. Will need to hit strength training hard. He will need to work on stamina as his 3pt percentage will drop if he has to play Defense against NBA level players, play PG and shoot 3 pointers.