1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Pistons @ Rockets - Vegas Summer League 7/15/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

It's not hypocrisy. Both players have low points. The difference is Jalen is on year 4 and has been blessed as a starter for 3 years. Cam is just beginning year 2. I'd personally bet on the potential of Cam over Jalen given what he's shown us time after time over 3 years.

jim1961 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Are you the type of dude who just sees shooting splits and calls it a day with analysis?

What would Can look like doing 10 primary pnr ball handling possessions per game against set half court NBA defenses?

Remember he always averages more turnovers than assists on very light ball handling duties.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, Jalen's "low points" are the bulk of his career during the regular season and Cam's low point was in his 3rd game in 4 days during the middle of summer when he wasn't fully in game shape.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We don't want him doing that....we don't want ANYONE at the SG spot doing that. We want a SG that can shoot, not one that has delusions of being Kobe.

We have a ton of much better ball handlers between Sengun, FVV, Amen, and Reed Sheppard, we don't need a ball hog chucker at SG on top of that.

5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Dude, you honestly believe any of those dudes, other than Fred, are better ball handlers than him? C'mon man, I get that you're not a fan, but you're not stupid either.

glimmertwins and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cam had a bad game. Beyond normal bad in a high volume/poor efficiency way. All I've been saying is that Jalen Green has had a bad game before that was comparable and that when I think high volume, poor efficiency, I think Jalen Green (among current Rockets now that KPJ is gone). This isn't to say Green won't ever be great consistently, he just hasn't been yet. My opinion is that if a player wants to be an on ball player, they need to be efificient. I only want good or better players on ball.

Of the Jalen Green supporters, I've yet to see one comment that says, yes, Jalen Green has had that bad a game before (even if it was in the NBA).

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Sheppard might be but we haven't seen his handles deployed against NBA level defenders yet.

But other than FVV no one else on the current roster from last season really touches Green's handle.

Maybe Holiday.

glimmertwins likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Against this level of competition, no Jalen Green has never had a game like this.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unquestionably. Jalen Green has the BBIQ of a rock, he has the athleticism to blow by people and get blocked at the rim or to create his own missed shots....but that's not actually what a quality ball handler does.

We're talking about a guy who has completely dominated the ball his entire career and has 3 assists per game and a 54% TS% to show for it....he's not good at creating for others or himself and he can't shoot well enough to play off ball.

The Rockets are MUCH more likely to score if Sengun, Amen, FVV, or Sheppard are the guys with the ball.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I don't understand why every thread turns into a discussion about Jalen Green.

FWIW I think something is off about both Whitmore and Green.

Green has higher expectations because he went #2 in the draft and has played longer and was the better prospect.

Cam is younger so he will be given a long leash, but his understanding of the game is lacking.

Jalen Green seems to have focus issues.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

You're bringing up TS%? What does numbers have to do with this? Your post was that they're all better "ball handlers". Besides Fred, which one currently is a better one?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Don't confuse different hobbies as a lack of work ethic or focus.

That's a boomer trait. The narcissism to believe that any deviation from your lifestyle, hobbies, the manner in which you speak and interests is a sign of a character flaw.

#672 fchowd0311, Jul 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    mario_v and glimmertwins like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To show that he can't create for himself either. It's obvious he's not any good creating for others....so the natural response from the Jalen propagandists (not saying you) would be suggesting that he was good at creating for himself, so I thought I'd just cut that off before it happened.

I think we're talking about two different things here, the point of "ball handling" is to create points either for yourself or others, but I have a feeling you are only thinking that the word means fancy dribbling tricks...which is something Jalen isn't good at either his handle has always been pretty loose.

So, to get on the same page, when I'm calling someone a better ball handler, I mean that they are better at creating quality scoring opportunities for themselves and others while they are handling the ball. I don't care how fast they run or how high they jump.

Believe It! likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What is "off" about them is immaturity and that they have relatively low BBIQ.

The reason every thread turns into a discussion about Jalen Green is because he has a rabid player first or player only fanbase that are scared to death for their guy due to his constant bad performances over the years and they are worried about anyone who might outshine their guy. They think if they run down everyone else, it'll make their guy look better.

He's basically the new Jeremy Lin.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The utter lack of improvement by Jalen Green over his 4 year professional basketball career suggests a lack of work ethic and a lack of focus. He's effectively the same player today that he was 4 years ago, just put into a better defensive scheme with better defensive players around him.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

What an ugly game. The offense was putrid. I guess Cam isn't too good for summer league after all. Reed had been doing a decent job defensively the first two games but got picked on last night.

glimmertwins likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't understand where this comment is coming from - there is a qualifier with most Jalen Green supporter's comments. Most of his supporters will readily admit he needs to get better at his efficiency.

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

He's improved his playmaking, but I get your point. Without a doubt, he's got to be more consistent with plus plays. Period. This has all been discussed over and over again. Everyone, including the ones that don't wish he'd be dumped for next to nothing, know his efficiency needs to improve and all the ways we each think he could do that.

Again, it's a huge year for him.

19. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I watched the whole game and kept thinking, "why don't they run some plays to get RS open for better looking 3s?" Then I remembered it's Summer league and we don't really run plays. Kind of elevated pick up ball. At least thats how I saw it. I'm not a coach or bbsavant, just a middle aged fan with a deadly 3 pointer and bad knees.
    Cam goes 1 for 15 and that sucks, but I also say great. Some players seem to have an internal ceiling on how far they'll go, either in success or failure. Aaron Holiday will never ever go 1 for 15 under any circumstance. Nor will he ever go 15 for 15. He knows where he fits in the ecosystem. Cam went 1 for 15 in SL. I say great. I hope Amen can go 1 for 15 (just not in game seven of the Finals) because that means to me that he might go 15 for 15 some day (hopefully in the Finals). That someday whether he's 1 for 14, or 14 for 14, he'll have the balls to let another fly.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My comment was too broad and includes too many people. My apologies. I should have limited it.

Though, my question still remains unanswered without qualification by those it was meant to be directed. (i.e., there is a certain person on this board who I'm not sure has admited Green needs to get better at efficiency).

If you are willing to admit that Green needs to improve efficiency, this comment wasn't meant to be directed towards you intentionally, and was done so only out of my incompentance.

glimmertwins likes this.