1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reed Sheppard is the Rockets’ Franchise Player™

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2024.

?

Do you like the selection of Reed Sheppard?

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2024 at 7:23 PM.
  1. YES

93.5%
  2. NO

6.5%
  1. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Love it! Not insane, either. Like comparing Kobe to MJ wasn't insane, just because MJ was so much better. There was still something there to compare.

I'd also be pleased if Shep becomes a HOFer, but there's one aspect in which the comparison is legit beyond shooting and anthropometrics. Steph was a shooting guard for the first two years at Davidson. Jason Richardson was the PG. Just check out the stats, Richardson with 7 and 8 assists per game his final two years, which were Steph's first two years. Then in his third year they shifted him to PG, largely in preparation for the NBA, I believe. He was doing all the run around screens stuff since the day he was born, but running a team on the ball, I think that was his first time. You can see his assists and TO jump in that final season.

Do we know anyone else who will/needs to convert from SG to PG? And they share a birthday (well, one day off) so age comparison's—where was Steph at age X compared to Shep—are pretty clean. Shep was drafted almost exactly one year younger than Steph. So it will be fun to watch as Shep ascends to superstardom and ultimately the HOF (I'm a hopeful guy), how his progress matches up with Curry's.

For example, I'm curious how much better Steph was at ball handling at Reed's age. I don't know Shep's handle well at all—I don't watch college basketball—but all the reports are that he needs to tighten it up to play PG. I didn't watch Steph in college either, but a friend who had gone down to Davidson to see Steph for his job, called me on the way back practically panting, saying holy sh*t, the guy is a modern Pete Maravich, he's going to be a superstar. Pistol Pete was known for his fancy dribbling. I didn't ask my friend, but I assume that was part of the comparison. But Steph's handle has improved so much since he arrived in the league. Much, much tighter as he got older. (Note how in all his highlights videos when he dribbles behind the back he looks down for just a moment to make sure he catches the ball cleanly with his other hand, a habit no doubt from when his handle wasn't as tight.) I don't know what's realistic for Shep, but one HOFer's progress makes me hopeful for another no-doubt fingers-crossed HOFer to be.

2. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I don't see any problem with that. Do you? If Amen comes out, I'll buy a rainbow Rockets jersey in support. If a Rox player came out and lost some fans, good. Those aren't fans worth having.

Rashmon likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He was talking about injury.

rimrocker likes this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

5. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Member

6. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Ugh, a hair trigger to defend my favorite Rocket since Lowry.Thanks for explaining. My apologies, @rimrocker.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

[​IMG]

13 in 33, megastahr and Glendelicious like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

Glendelicious likes this.
  9. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

over-under when reed gets a fade... with the humidity must be hella hot with the helmet cut

10. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

This is better than the Shaq.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There's nothing wrong with glazing up our upcoming rookie, but i find it quite hypocritical that folks got super triggered with kobe and jalen green comparison meanwhile we have sheppard and curry comparison.

I kinda want to see him play a min of nba basketball before comparing him to the greatest sniper to grace the court, but that's just me

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't feel triggered because Green is a chucker like Kobe but Kobe was a winning chucker and most peeps do not get to win chips.

Kobe was unique like Jordan was unique, he was Jordan light but one day someone will get close to Curry level of shooting.

Shooting can be taught and passed on to.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't like the Curry comps because Sheppard can't put defenders on skates and he doesn't have Currys lightning trigger. Plus it's just an eye rolling statement to say he's like the greatest shooting scorer ever..only better.

However even if he's only able to replicate Curry's off screen and transition/scramble shooting he would be immensely valuable in a modern offense. The gravity opens up the playbook immensely for creative front court ball handlers.

Multiple recent champions have gotten their most actual playmaking from big men, not the PG.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

i don't think there's any problem at all calling curry the next commander sheppard

Snow Villiers likes this.
  16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

It’s nice being able to listen to Reed talk without needing subtitles unlike Jalen Green lmao

17. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

It kind of reminds me of the lore around Glen Rice's shooting, where he'd practice in the dark

13 in 33 likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

country music lol

we are becoming more diverse

20. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

He's a real Kentucky boy

AroundTheWorld likes this.